The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Where do I find high end gear in Philadelphia?
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Ok...

So I am tired of walking into the local music stores and finding only a handful of things that I would possibly buy (usually software).

No Manley, Royer, Drawmer, Neumann etc. of the "common" names in high end.
I ask about studio racks and they show me SKB touring cases.

These places seem to be turning into guitar shops that happen to carry Waves Bundles and snake cables.

So where the hell do I go in Philadelphia to molest a brand new Massive Passive, let alone an API or DW Fearn unit?

Anyone?

Mizzle
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Most of the stores here in Austin are the same. You can get high-end guitar stuff, and lots of P.A. and D.J. gear, but not much in the way of recording stuff beyond Focusrite Platinum and Samson mics. The focus seems to be on gigging, rather than recording.

(Misty Hill Audio is, of course, an exception! Fun website, too: http://www.mistyhillaudio.com/)
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Oooh.. Love to get my mitts on some of those Calrecs! heh
Very cool...
Thanks for taking me to Sesame Street btw...?

Mizzle
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

what about 8th street? I've only been there once like 4 years ago but it seems the have some good stuff.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

8th street is actually the place I was begrudging the most as I am in walking distance. They currently have next to no rack gear. It has been replaced by guitars and keyboard/ romplers. They don't even have a display case for mics anymore (not that I needed to remember what an SM57 looks like).

Heading over to Jerz things don't get much better- Sam Ash and a Guitar Center.
You know what they sell.

Would I at least have better luck w/ gear rentals around here?

Mizzle
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

You might be screwed. I just know the two sam ash stores in the Franklin Mills mall and in King of Prussia.

I personally hate Sam ash though...not only do they carry a bunch of crap gear, but I can never get any help! I can be walking around for 1/2 an hour before I even get eye contact from a sale's person.

Also, I went in there once looking for "a good pair of monitors for under $500". You'd think I was in the right place...eh? I just needed something portable and that sounded decent.

So I ask the sales man and he goes through their archaic computer system (you have to see how their computer system is set up, it's a joke! looks like something out of an 80's computer movie) and after he searches forever we see that they don't have a single pair of monitors in stock! But mind you, it took us about 2 hours searching this system, then him going "hold on let me check the back..." coming back all puzzled and playing with that computer again...

The guitar center in union NJ is the "guitar center pro", I think. Probably an hour and 1/2 from you, but might be your best bet.

Also, http://www.angelmtn.com/ in Bethlehem, Pa. Still about an hour away.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Addict

Hi Mizzle,

I'm not sure what your looking to rent in Phili but drop me a note as I am in Harrisburg and will very soon be offering some rental gear, mainly a flight packed Pro Tools HD2 Accel rig (24 I/O, all Apogee conversion)and 24 channels of Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5012's.

Regards,

Jimivan
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

I heard that Angel Mountain closed their doors a few weeks ago.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Russo Music, just outside of Trenton. Take I 95 north, go past US1 (in NJ) the road changes but it says 'to I 95) - get off at Arena Drive and go under the hwy. Head north on Arena Drive until just before the next underpass. Russo Music is on your right, just before the 7-11.

They don't have all the brands you mention, but they do carry API and Neumann to name two.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thank you jabney

I'll have to check out Russo's then. Sometimes it's reassuring to know that you can walk into a store and pick up some high end mic pre's if need be. It's also reassuring to try the actual piece before you buy!
Bethlehem is a bit of a drive for me, but Angel Mountain sounds quite nice as well.
If I'm in the area I'll have to stop in.

Mizzle
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle
No Manley, Royer, Drawmer, Neumann etc. of the "common" names in high end.

So where the hell do I go in Philadelphia to molest a brand new Massive Passive, let alone an API or DW Fearn unit?
Medley Music in Bryn Mawr, PA. http://www.medleynet.com/
Right down Route 30, on the main line.
They have high end stuff.

I just picked up a Chandler TG2 from them last week.
Soundelux U99 a few months ago... API 500 series last year...

Of all the manufacturers you mention, the only one I haven't seen in house is Manley. That's not to say they aren't a dealer, I just don't remember seeing any...

Andrew
Old 26th June 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

I'm in central NJ. I called Russos about Soundelux mics, and they had only two in stock at the time. No help as I wanted to audition several of them for vocals, and the guy on the phone didn't seem to give a crap about helping me out.

Sam Ash and Guitar Center get worse and worse every year - I waited in Guitar Center for 45 minutes as they (like someone else's story) checked computers and the back of the store for a spdif cable, and then said 'sorry'. They're just as bad at guitar equipment these days too - no handmade, high-end, or boutique guitar amps or effects either.
Old 30th June 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
I heard that Angel Mountain closed their doors a few weeks ago.
They used to be a good high end dealer with Prism, API, DW Fearn and the like. I tried calling them but sounds like the phones have been cut off.

Anybody hear anymore?

LFF
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

I live in Philly and I don't buy any gear here!! INTERNET! Save on tax.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivan
Hi Mizzle,

I'm not sure what your looking to rent in Phili but drop me a note as I am in Harrisburg and will very soon be offering some rental gear, mainly a flight packed Pro Tools HD2 Accel rig (24 I/O, all Apogee conversion)and 24 channels of Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5012's.

Regards,

Jimivan

So YOU are the one that has the Neve folks backed up on orders.....
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

What up Mizzle, I also live in Philly and Medley is about as highend as it gets.
There use to be a place on Delaware ave (My bad Christopher Columbus blvd.)
called Tech Comm but the folded.
I get all my stuff from out of state dealerships.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
So YOU are the one that has the Neve folks backed up on orders.....
Sorry man. Just trying to get in while the prices our "introductory"......
Old 1st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
In NYC.

Like 84K, most of the outboard pieces I got were from the web world. The pro audio market in Philly has gotten so thin lately. It's become a DAW town. You really gotta go to NYC to demo high end gear. Good thing it's only 90 miles away, yo?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search