The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BAE 500 rack & API 500 rack interchangeable?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

BAE 500 rack & API 500 rack interchangeable?

Are the BAE & API 500 series racks interchangeable?
I'd like to get a couple of BAE 1073's and a couple of the Chandler Germ 500 and later would like to get a couple of 500 series Pacificas.

Would the 1073's work in the API 500 rack and would the Pacificas/Germs work in the BAE 500 rack?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

read again - the 1073 is not 500 format. you can load the 1073 modules only into the fitting racks for neve modules only - BAE and AMS-neve makes them, VK has some 1073 racks too.
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

I got it, my bad. In any case, can the BAE 312 modules be used in the API 500 rack and can the API 512's be used in the BAE?
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

in this case yes. any 500 series rack that is built to the specs will house any 500 series module.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheuzrecords View Post
in this case yes. any 500 series rack that is built to the specs will house any 500 series module.
Cool! Thanks!
Old 28th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheuzrecords View Post
Yes, except the Germ 500 which will not work in the API (and has since been discontinued).

As far as 1073's in the 500 series, you may have been thinking of the Avedis MA5... and those will work perfectly fine in either BAE or API rack.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Yes, except the Germ 500 which will not work in the API (and has since been discontinued).

As far as 1073's in the 500 series, you may have been thinking of the Avedis MA5... and those will work perfectly fine in either BAE or API rack.
Isn't it the case that the newer api racks have fixed the power problem?
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
I thought so as well! What gives!?!? All these vendors are selling the Chandler Germ 500 (at BIG discounts I must say) and you mean to tell me that they're unusable? An eBay store is selling the API 500 rack with 2 Germs in them. Why would they sell those if they don't work with the 500
series?

So do they at least work with the BAE 500 rack?
Old 29th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 View Post
I thought so as well! What gives!?!? All these vendors are selling the Chandler Germ 500 (at BIG discounts I must say) and you mean to tell me that they're unusable? An eBay store is selling the API 500 rack with 2 Germs in them. Why would they sell those if they don't work with the 500
series?

Why not buy the rack unit! It works as expected, and the PSU-1 lets you power two Chandler units. FWIW, I never had an issue with the Germ Module in the API 500V 10 Space, only the lunchbox. It was subjectively "noisier" and sometimes the DI did not work at all. Never had those issues with the 10 Space. I've never understood all this endless pontification about this now discounted module, while the Rack unit goes unmentioned. Do yourself a favor, if you want this flavor, go for the 19" rack unit. You won't be disappointed.
Old 30th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
There is no problem with the API racks, and it was not a power issue.

Like Adam said, I suggest picking up the rackmount unit if you want the Germ preamp.
Old 30th January 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 View Post
series?

they should work fine, with a single exception, they can be a bit of a high noise floor in a lunchbox.
it seems they do not reject noise well, this is why Wade stated they were not recommended for use in a lunchbox and / or unit with a built in power supply.
retailers should have passed this information along to customers.
Wade discontinued the Germ500 for this reason ( as i understand ).
Old 30th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
they should work fine, with a single exception, they can be a bit high noise floor in a lunchbox.
This is correct. It is very noisy in the API lunchbox. It will technically work, but it will not perform as well as other units.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search