The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic collections...
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Addict

Mic collections...

Hi,

Im after a bit of advice. Starting engineering in a new studio, and im not overly familiar with half the microphones they have. I know the best way to learn the mics you have available is to play with them and experiment, but i thought id see what you lot thought of the mic's, those of you that have used them, what have yu found out about them in your experience? what are there individual strengths, and their weaknesses?

The list:

Rode NT4
AKG C200B
Rode NTK
Rode Classic II
Audix SCX 25 Condensor
Audix D6
Microtech Geffell M295
Josephson e22s x 4
Josephson C42MP
Royer 121 Ribbon
Soundelux U195
Soundelux Elux 251
Brauner VM 1
Wagner U47w

Like i say, ive worked with some of them, but not all.

Any help will be extremely appreciated,

David.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Wow....I'm dying to hear about that Wagner 47! There aren't that many out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido
Hi,

Im after a bit of advice. Starting engineering in a new studio, and im not overly familiar with half the microphones they have. I know the best way to learn the mics you have available is to play with them and experiment, but i thought id see what you lot thought of the mic's, those of you that have used them, what have yu found out about them in your experience? what are there individual strengths, and their weaknesses?

The list:

Rode NT4
AKG C200B
Rode NTK
Rode Classic II
Audix SCX 25 Condensor
Audix D6
Microtech Geffell M295
Josephson e22s x 4
Josephson C42MP
Royer 121 Ribbon
Soundelux U195
Soundelux Elux 251
Brauner VM 1
Wagner U47w

Like i say, ive worked with some of them, but not all.

Any help will be extremely appreciated,

David.
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Addict

He has three of them!!!!

Im really looking forward to using this one, they look and feel amazing, and from the rep they have im expecting them to sound amazing too.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

3 of them?? whoa!.....what studio are you working at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido
He has three of them!!!!

Im really looking forward to using this one, they look and feel amazing, and from the rep they have im expecting them to sound amazing too.
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I use the c2000b on vocals sometimes, but that's pretty much the only use it ever gets with me. That was the first mic I ever bought. Good vocal sounds out of it, but nothing amazing. The C42's are supposedly amazing as overheads, but i hear that the d6 is all hype (that's hearsay though).
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

I have a d6. It is all hype or I mean really hyped. Tons of low end( something like a 15 dB boost at 60Hz) and tons of upper mids. Works for some styles, though I don't end up using it much.
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Slutz,

Bear in mind when you comment on the mic collection that the pre's are similarly "high end" and make all the difference.

The full kit list can be seen at www.blast-recording.com/equipment_list.pdf so maybe in answer to Davido's question a good place to start maybe I have used x with y etc (eg royer and 51 with Chandler on dirt guitars...)

Peace

DD
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Anyone ??????

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search