The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing in Logic...
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
No doubt doing that will improve the sound of the Mackie mix (they were never much cop on the mix buss, crowded out way too quickly), but they are still a bottom feeder board. You can track with a Mackie ok if you know what you are doing.

You may like the way it sounds doing it this way, more detail, in reality is very unlikely.
If you really want to get that "analogue summing box feel" I would suggest you mix ITB and then spend the money you saved on several days in the studio with a Mackie on 2-3 hours getting it really professionally mastered by a great mastering engineer. This would make a really noticeable improvement.

Regards

Roland

hey well, i get the trax professionaly mastered, but there's only so much a mastering engineer can do...

more important than what board is to get a good mix... u can pull a decent mix off a mackie / daw, especially when you avoid the eq, line ins, and pres, and use a good preamp to make up the 2 buss gain... (as phil e's experience shows...) and if the thing works... i agree the channels crap out...

definitely a suboptimal board, but i just think mixing out of the box sounds better, in the room, makes me feel better while mixing, makes me mix a little longer, etc... yes, even on a wackie...

whether it *actually* sounds better, or whether anyone can tell, from listening to an mp3 at 128, whether it once sounded better, is a different subject i agree.

i personally like being able to treat/mute groups and interact w. the analog board... i like being able to take a stereo bass plug in and treat it thru some external fx and record it in mono, quickly...

and to have some trax not committed to audio playing along at the same time...

yes i'd like a better board, but i can only make the best choices of what i've got, and even a wackie sounds better to me than keeping everything in the computer... (but that's jus me...)
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane
what i did was turn the master fader way WAY down, and made up the gain w. an Averill/Neve 3405... made the "sound" of the board go up around $5k....
Wouldn't you loose details in the mix by doing so? Even if you have very good converters, you can only "squeeze" so much information into a low signal setting.
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Orren
Not true. Nobody would design delay compensation but selectively turn it off for certain plugs. Well, you could, but that would be silly.

Logic 7.0 had delay compensation for Audio Tracks and Audio Instrument tracks only. All plug-ins were compensated on Audio Tracks and Audio Instrument tracks. Logic 7.0 did not compensate bus/aux tracks.
Thks for the info Orren. It's just that the other plug ins have never implied any (noticeable) latency when used on different outputs....duh!!

Cheers,

Tom VDH
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, I've been a long time Logic user (since Logic Audio 2.5 on Mac and C-Lab Notator on Atari ST). This past while I've strayed to Pro Tools LE/Pro Tools.

Now I want to go back to Logic because Pro Tools LE does not do full latency compensation like Logic Pro 7.1 does. Also there are certain built-in plug-ins that I just can't live without.

There are a few things stopping me. Can someone tell me if there are solutions/alternatives/workarounds to these?

1. Sample Accurate Audio in the arrange page. Is this happening for Logic Pro yet?

2. Beat Detective - I can't live without this plug-in! Is there a work to do something like this in Logic Pro?

3. Bombfactory BF76 plug-in - I live and die by this plugin. Yes, I own a real 1176 which I track with but I use this plugin heavily. I doubt there's any way to run RTAS plugins in Logic Pro without TDM/HD. So is there some way to get what I get from this plugin? And no, I don't like the Waves RenComp, I much prefer the BF76. Keep in mind I run on a laptop so there's unfortunately no way to run a UAD-1 card to get their 1176 plugin.

4. Mix Bus - how is it compared to Pro Tools HD? These days I find that Pro Tools HD, the mix bus is so good that I don't feel the great need to mix out of box and I feel very comfortable mixing in the box, whereas I don't feel so much this way about Pro Tools LE. How does Logic Pro 7.1's mix bus compare to Pro Tools HD's in terms of of headroom, etc?

btw, I'm planning on recording 24-bit 96K.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
1. Sample Accurate Audio in the arrange page. Is this happening for Logic Pro yet?
Well, it depends what you mean by "sample accurate audio:"
* The audio position itself is sample accurate--meaning if you move audio to bar 1.1.1.0 it is at exactly bar 1.1.1.0.

* You can zoom on the Arrange down to the sample level, so you can view audio at the sample level. So the view of the Arrange window is sample accurate.

* You can not nudge, move, or split audio by samples. The smallest amount you can nudge, move, or split audio is by ticks, as it was before. So there is not sample accurate audio editing.

Quote:
2. Beat Detective - I can't live without this plug-in! Is there a work to do something like this in Logic Pro?
You can do the equivallent function, but it's a massive PITA compared to the beat detective in PT or DP. Basically, Logic Pro 7.x has a "beat mapping" track which is designed for the opposite of beat detective--rather than mapping your live drums to a grid, this changes the grid to your live drums. But you can use beat detective to create the tempo of your current drums, slice your drums on the beat, then reset your tempo to the grid, and move everything. Like I said, a PITA workaround.

Quote:
3. Bombfactory BF76 plug-in - I live and die by this plugin....Keep in mind I run on a laptop so there's unfortunately no way to run a UAD-1 card to get their 1176 plugin.
Well, if you can afford hardware, there's always a used Magma chassis with a PC Cardbus interface for a UAD-1 card. So if you've got a few hundred, you can run a UAD-1, which I'm told is better than the BF stuff (no personal experience). Otherwise, there is Sonalksis's compressor, which isn't identical to hardware, but sounds analog and spectacular. Its native, requiring no hardware.

Quote:
4. Mix Bus - how is it compared to Pro Tools HD?
No idea, but I'd imagine that's pretty subjective. This board is filled with people who insist that PTHD sounds worse than native and they prefer Logic/Nuendo/Samplitude/etc. So for everyone who thinks the Mix bus of PTHD is the bomb, you'll find someone else who thinks [insert favorite native sequencer] is better. You'll have to use your ears for that one. FWIW, I think Logic sounds great.

Orren
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilE
I am going to be doing a mix 2mo at a private studio.... but am I best to keep my summing ITB or to use the Mackie 8-buss (analogue not D8B) that is there?
Any thoughts? thanks guys.
The Logic mix buss adds nothing NADA, zero, bupkiss, uh-uh, nope.

The Mackie adds "SHSHSHSHSSFHFHFHFHFSHSHFSHSFHSFHSFHSF"

Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
3. Bombfactory BF76 plug-in - I live and die by this plugin. Yes, I own a real 1176
FWIW, I recently read that the Mixpressor can sound just like an 1176! It's included in the PSP Mixpack bundle, which can be had for $135. Runs native in Logic. There's a few other cool plugins in that bundle too, I'm buying it myself. I also might get their Master Q eq.

PSP Audioware

Here's the quote, which was from a Recording mag review.

Quote:
The MixPressor is very adept at sounding just like a UREI 1176, which is how I used it most of the time. It doesn't have to sound like an 1176 but it sure is great that it can.
I'm mixing a jazz project in Logic right now. I'm liking the Linear Phase EQ and the Space Designer convolution reverb. It makes me want to buy the Waves IR reverb, or some more impulse responses, etc...

I'm using the Logic mix bus at the moment, but soon I'll stem it out to the Phoenix Nicerizer 16.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search