The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Photos of newly renovated EASTWEST Studios (formally Western/Cello Studios) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

I missed this the first time around. I love it. I hate how sterile so many studios look. Where do I sign up for work?
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

I belive I read somewhere the design is by Philippe Starck, right? On a side note, I once read he said "in a few centuries, the automobile won't be but an embarassing episode in the history of human technology". Love it.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rogers View Post
Main entrance to EASTWEST Studios

Front desk

Artist lounges hallway

Artist lounge (1 of 4)

Workstations

Lounge

Kitchen from lounge

Kitchen

Private lounge and outdoor terrace

Studio 1 (1 of 5 studios)

yeah, WHATEVER, i didn't see one LAVA LAMP... so you know there amature's!!!
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

EASTWEST Recording Studios - Home

You can see a slide show of the studios, control rooms, plus these pics on their website.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Where did you get those killer accent pieces? I especially like the horse lamp....sort of reminds me of The Godfather.
Old 1st July 2009
Here for the gear

Wow

Cool!!!! I was in there when it was Cello and it was inspiring, I hope the vibe has not changed! Thanks for keeping this Studio alive!
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Well, it's no Sound City....

-R
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Mama.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Here's the control room of Studio 1. I took the picture during my visit in February, and it is - alongside more of my pics - featured on the new studio website. Enjoy!

The vibe in that room is downright amazing. Definitely one of the most beautiful studios in the world...

Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Must...pick up...jaw...from floor...
Old 2nd July 2009
me like :-)

with that kind of visual beauty and sense of comfort, how can you not get inspired to make some great music.

congrats!
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Guys, they got it backwards. The control room and live room are where the creativity happens. That is where the vibe should be. Lounges are for drummers and non-band members, give em a tv, xbox, wireless internet, and kitchen. The control room looks sterile. The live room shown, looks un-inspiring. They should spend some money making the working environment feel artistic and vibey!
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
me like :-)

with that kind of visual beauty and sense of comfort...
!
Well it's certainly no Abbey Road.

-R
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

quick question...

Was "ClusterF*ck Studios" taken when you guys were looking for names? i am kidding...but seriously. This place looks like one of them LA Super Clubs that has to be redecorated in 5 years when the trend to furnish everything at your local Target is over. Wait didn't PS do a line for Target...weird? Great job. Timeless...

Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

It's a cow hide and green walls with UV nightmare! Man its enough to make you blind! Seriously, damn!

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer designs a car.

I'm gonna hafta go for a walk now to get over these photos.. Jules can we censor these images or put a warning on the thread "will cause headache and epileptic seizures".

Peace,
cortisol
Old 3rd July 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny-Cap-Tube View Post
The live room shown, looks un-inspiring. They should spend some money making the working environment feel artistic and vibey!
The live room is an absolute zenith of great sound. Thank God they have enough sense to leave it alone.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Aren't there two other studios in the building? Any word on whats happening with them? I'd love to see pics of those rooms as well.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Definitely an interesting looking place! I'd like to go there for a few beers or something. I think everything except the neon green works.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

The floors look like they're polished concrete, am I correct?
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Great time Recently working in Studio 1

Just about a month ago I called in to do a session for Studio one.
I was very lucky - that's a sacred place and I gotta give it to Doug and Company for keeping the rooms true to original form

#1 - that is the warmest big room I've ever recorded in, WOW! The Vocalist was stoked and it really helped the drums a lot.

#2 the Neve was a Killer desk and the Room translates really well outside of the studio - even when I did all of my work on the NS-10's

#3 Very kind, chill and helpful family of engineers and folks hanging around there.

Sure it's lavish, they deserve it (and the artist was inspired by it). They made a killer line of products and have the success to save one of our historic "Temples of Sound". Not many folks realize that that building could have been turned into a Car Park if it wasn't for Doug and the crew......Crazy! That's the building where Pet Sounds was recorded and Frak did it "His Way" in studio one!

Cool place, thanks for opening it up to Us Doug.

Oh, and I suck - I never thanked the whole staff before I left as we went a bit late and I live 60 miles south of the studio... I was too tiered to say thank you to everyone.
So send them a BIG THANK YOU .

Chris
Old 3rd July 2009
it looks like somebody's nightmare... -- Elvira, on seeing Tony Montana's caddy

the funniest pic is the office of cubical workstations, since this is where all the "music" is being made....

places like this should be burnt in effigy
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny-Cap-Tube View Post
Doug,

I was strongly considering booking some time at Eastwest in March2010, but you kinda let me down. The lounge..etc looks cool, but the main room is just too clinical....put some fold-out tables in there and it would look just like my old high schools' cafeteria. Seriously man, redo the floor, put some elegant carpets down, some art on the walls, a few sofas along the walls, etc...

And there is nothing worse than dark gray control rooms! Damn, anything but gray. I'll bring my artists over there when you get the areas/rooms where they make music, feeling more creative.
I don't see how Doug could let you down -- if you don't like it, don't book it -- simple .

As far as the lounges, they're nice and since artists tend to hang out in lounges more than control rooms, it does what it's supposed to do -- give out a creative vibe.

Recording rooms should be neutral so that the players/singers can add in their own stuff (candles, drapes, red rugs, purple whatever) to create their own ambience if they so wish. I wouldn't want to record in a room that's been decked out in someone else's fashion tastes.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

neutral vrs. tone

I truly get your point, with the lights on I wanted to put on a Lab jacket and ask the artist to turn his head and cough - but Abbey road gives off that vibe as well with the lights on bright.
Also, there was a whole lighting system (stage style) in the live room....I thought it was a trip to spend the dough on that, why not buy another Fairchild and put it in the room.

But it took the room to a new place - Artist Requested the mood lights

Lastly listen to the room IT's AWESOME!!!!!

You can get the runners to put up some lights, candles and tapestries.

And then you can recline at the foot of that lovely Neve and get the job done.

Don't get me wrong, like any studio I have some thoughts on improvement for them (anyone from the studio can PM me for those) - but at the end of the day I had a song tracked fully and mixed and the Artist, Management and Label all stoked... I was on to the next session.

Better time than working at home on my PT rig - inserts and all.

Take the tour at least - good folks there.
Chris
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Well, it's certainly no Mad Dog.....

-R
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

looks like an uber hip boutique hotel.
Glad to hear the recording rooms are the same.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
looks like an uber hip boutique hotel.
Glad to hear the recording rooms are the same.
Right, like an Ian Schrager hotel (Morgans Hotel Group)! Is there a girl-guy ratio you need to meet before the bouncer lets you in? Like the only way YOU'RE going to get in (as a guy) is if you bring along six uber-hot girls?
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Nut

Amazing,
Would LOVE to record there one day,
thanks for creating such an awesome looking space!

All the best
Old 4th July 2009
Here for the gear
I finally registered on this message board after lurking for a very long time to respond to this thread. I have been lucky enough to see the interior of this studio and I must say the pictures do not do it justice.

Although the photos look great, they are a bit sterile and do not even come close to capturing the amazing vibe you feel in person. I can see how some naysayers might see the photos and think it might give off too much of a Hollywood club vibe, but trust me, once you're actually inside, the vibe is nothing like that at all. It is very well done. A great fusion between old and new.

I'm sure nearly everyone who gave a negative response would amend their opinions if they got to see it in person. It is truly remarkable space. I'm so happy Doug saved this building and gave it new life.
Old 19th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot son View Post
I'm sure nearly everyone who gave a negative response would amend their opinions if they got to see it in person. It is truly remarkable space. I'm so happy Doug saved this building and gave it new life.
Me too. I was there in Allen Sides Oceanway days. The sound in studio 1 was amazing. I hear it on a lot old TV eps music tracks.

Glad to hear it's still there, thanks Doug and all the very best.

Cheers.
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have pics of the other two rooms, but would not feel comfortable posting them without Doug's permission.

Standing "Brian's" old haunt was about as sacred and magical to me as visiting Sun studios.

Anyway as to the decorating, well I loved the lounges, they were pretty cool in person, the kitchen and areas right outside of it were "a bit" overdone for my taste, but its Doug's place, let him have his dream. Who cares what it looks like as long as history was saved, and face it Bill SR could have cared less what the out offices and lounges looked like.

XJ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search