The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twins vertical ?
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Focal Twins vertical ?

Hi there,

Have just changed my room around to have one end digital (32 channel Pro Control)
and the other end totally analog...tape machine, large console, outboard etc

I have to move my Twins down to the new end, but I will have to run them vertically, due to the size of the PC and the room that is left.

Will I lose anything by running them vertically and should the tweeters be on the outside or on the inside (upside down) ??

Simon from Focal, your advice would be greatly appreciated..or anyone else !

BTW... How do you Twin owners stop getting those beautiful red sides scratched if you run them horizontally..ie what do you put under them...are you all running Primacoustic Recoils ;-)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Head

Hi Nymo,

When used vertically, the Twin's are usuallly installed the tweeter outside. I say usually because it also depends on the room. So, try first in this position and check the contrary if necessary.
Cheers,
Nicolas.
Focal Professional.
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

I run mine like this with the tweeters on the outside and they work great!
heh
Old 20th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMo View Post
Hi there,

Have just changed my room around to have one end digital (32 channel Pro Control)
and the other end totally analog...tape machine, large console, outboard etc

I have to move my Twins down to the new end, but I will have to run them vertically, due to the size of the PC and the room that is left.

Will I lose anything by running them vertically and should the tweeters be on the outside or on the inside (upside down) ??

Simon from Focal, your advice would be greatly appreciated..or anyone else !

BTW... How do you Twin owners stop getting those beautiful red sides scratched if you run them horizontally..ie what do you put under them...are you all running Primacoustic Recoils ;-)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
The Twins are awesome vertical, but it depends on the room. I've worked in some rooms, where the only way to place these things is vertically and its awesome! Its not a problem, and I think depending on you mix position, it might actually put the tweets at better head level. I put them on the outside, not inward, as I would think that would be weird.

The Recoils are LIFE SAVERS MAN! They not only keep the monitors beautiful, they really, really help the response of them in any room.
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Head

Just added twins in my room !

I first demoed them for a month installed horizontally, and I really misunderstood them phase wise. Strange things were happening. But I loved their sound.

I bought them anyways on a great deal on a demo pair, and installed them vertically this time ( just to try ) on a pair of recoilers.... AMAZING DIFFERENCE.

So I must tell you guys, gotta try them both ways. Those speakers are large, and their width in small rooms can interfere with sidewalls. And no more phase weirdnesses.... And you can save on smaller recoilers !!!!!

going to heaven listening to my new setup !!!!
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Nut

Wow interesting subject on these monitors. I have a pair which are in a 13 ft by 12 ft mix room (temporary). I noticed that when I was using them horizontally the kicks at centre would often appear to be more to the left than centre. I have just whipped them into the vertical position and the kicks now seem to be centred again. What gives eh? Any answers from the Sherlock's out there?
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Wow interesting subject on these monitors. I have a pair which are in a 13 ft by 12 ft mix room (temporary). I noticed that when I was using them horizontally the kicks at centre would often appear to be more to the left than centre. I have just whipped them into the vertical position and the kicks now seem to be centred again. What gives eh? Any answers from the Sherlock's out there?
Are the left/right speaker switches set correctly on the back of the monitors? Maybe they are both set to the same...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search