older massive vs newer massive passive, difference?
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

older massive vs newer massive passive, difference?

hi all,
looking to add a massive passive to the arsenal. anyone heard both the earlier units (silver face face) vs newer units (purple face)? is the sound or build quality any different between the two? which would you recommend if buying used or does it matter? should i pay the same for a used silver face vs a purple face ? what tubes are people using to replace with and how much $$$? thanks in advanced thumbsup .

electric
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

As far as I know only the faceplate colour changed.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Don't worry. There is no magic part they can't get anymore making the old ones better. In fact, Manley winds their own transformers. The MP is a gem that is popular, they will make sure that puppy doesn't change! No odd ball tube in there that is in short supply or any of that stuff. I look forward to getting one soon myself!!
Old 23rd June 2005
member no 666

The anodizing on the front panel was lighter and airier than the anodizing on the current panel which is thicker and richer...
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

hmmm i think i will go for the "lighter and airier" version

thanks all

electric
Old 15th August 2010
Gear interested

Hi,
I have 3 Massive Passives. 2 purple and one silver. There is no sonic difference between either of them at all
JB
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The anodizing on the front panel was lighter and airier than the anodizing on the current panel which is thicker and richer...
Wow..... almost sounds like a wine description...

The Massive can be any of a range of colors - from airy silver to dark puple-red and even brown as the Massive ages. Typical flavors include earth, leather, vanilla (from the oak), and jam ... the fruity flavors of the jam often taste like raspberry, strawberry, and plum.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

I always wanted one of those fancy gold plated ones. They even draped them with pearls if I remember correctly.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo View Post
I always wanted one of those fancy gold plated ones. They even draped them with pearls if I remember correctly.
That's the gangster rap Massive. Very rare.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search