The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lavry Blue...WOW Monitor Controllers
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Thanks Rowan..figured out the acronym...where does this sit in the chain of electronic events though...?
mic to preamp to Lavry.
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Maniac

neumann u87 to 1073 to Lavry
to pci-e by lynx to mac to UA 1176 to mac to burner.
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
you'd think so, but i've noticed a big difference between short AES-to-SPDIF vs. using Canare Transfo's.
Which Canare model? How long were they? What were you connecting?

And what (big) difference have you noticed?
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan View Post
Which Canare model? How long were they? What were you connecting?

And what (big) difference have you noticed?
thanks for following the thread.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/3828700-post20.html

the simple RCA to XLR is only 3'. the one with Canare Transfo's are 12', RCA to BNC.
Old 20th January 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
i've always heard this same phrase - but what's your way of knowing if there's jitter or not? what does it sound like?

it's different from mere clocking issues. was it Dan Lavry (not sure) who said that jitter is not apparently audible right away?
jitter sounds random to me everytime i've had it pop its ugly head out. it can go from subtle to extreme. but the best way to put it, its like seeking ffw or rew on a cd player. or even think of a scratched cd, it can sound like its skipping. it is true that it can start off somewhat in-audibly.

thanks for the feedback on the cabling. hope everybody finds something that works for them. took me awhile myself, but i'm very happy with my cables.

anybody new to this or just want to clear up a few things about the most underestimated piece of gear in their studio, cables, i posted a link on page 2. read it, learn it, live it. thanks everyone.
Old 20th January 2009
Gear Head

JohnKenn wrote:

Quote:
To further make myself look like a dumbass, I'm now wondering if I didn't speak too soon about just loving the Lavry. I agree with you, Mark, about the Digi vs. Apogee - that's what ultimately made me sell it. When you read below, you'll see why I'm a little concerned...

Can you guys confirm that I'm hooking this thing up correctly? Yes, I'm a numbnutz, but I could use some help from you technical genuisi...
I have the out of the Digi003 spdif going to the in of the Lavry AES (with a RCA/AES adapter). I then have the out of the Lavry AES (with spdif adapter) going to the in of the spdif of the 003. I then have the xlr to 1/4 TRS going from the analog outs of the Lavry to my Big Knob - then out of the BK into the monitors.
In Pro Tools - under Hardware - I have the the clock source set to spdif...
Is that ALL I have to do? The reason I ask that is this - I also connected the monitor outs of my Digi003 to another in on the Big Knob - so I could A/B the Digital conversion coming from the Lavry and the Digi. I would assume since I have the clock set to Spdif in PT's that the Digi's signal is being clocked by the Lavry too...But to be honest, after matching the volumes (trims on the BK) for both, I CAN'T TELL A DIFFERENCE. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong...
If you are referring to simple XLR to RCA adapters (as versus an impedance matching transformer), then for relatively short cable lengths (under 6 feet, if possible) the impedance mismatch between "AES 110 ohms" and "SPDIF 75 Ohms" is not significant. There are variations in the quality of basic XLR to RCA (socket) adapters, so the somewhat more expensive Neutrik version (NA2FPMF and NA2MPMF) can give better result in some instances because the connection to the outer contact of the RCA socket is made by a wire inside the adapter, as versus a "friction" connection made through the case in less expensive adapters. This is because in the Neutrik adapters the outer contact of the RCA socket of the adapter is insulated from the case of the XLR by a plastic insulator, so the connection cannot be made through the case.

For longer cable lengths, a different approach may be called for (impedance matching transformers or using an active interface box with long AES XLR cables and short RCA SPDIF cables). The drawback with the transformers is that there is some loss in level when they are inserted in the signal path, so for AES outputs to SPDIF inputs, this is a non-issue, but coupled with loss in the longer cable could cause the signal level to drop to the point where it might be hard to decode in SPDIF output to AES input connections.

The LavryBlue DA is capable of outputting +24 dBu and is set for that level at the factory. Some balanced inputs are only capable of accepting +18 dBu, so you should check with the manufacturer of the gear you feeding from the output of the MDA. There is plenty of range on the front panel trimmers of the MDA to lower the output level to the point where it is suitable for your monitor gear. The other important thing is that the MDA output will be distorted if you do not set the jumpers on the MDA PC board for unbalanced operation and connect unbalanced wiring/ inputs to the MDA output.

As far as clocking goes, it is only necessary to have PT set to clock from the SPDIF input when recording. It probably (slightly) increases the “jitter” in the 003 SPDIF output that is feeding the Lavry MDA clocking PT from the SPDIF input, but there probably won’t be much of a change to the sound quality that the MDA outputs due to its “de-jittering” circuitry.

Most of this information as well as some tips on calibrating the input and output levels of the LavryBlue AD and DA converters is available under the SUPPORT tab of the Lavry website Lavry Engineering - Unsurpassed Excellence

LavryBlue manual:
http://www.lavryengineering.com/whit.../4496-2-01.pdf

Quickstart Guides:
http://www.lavryengineering.com/whit...Quickstart.pdf
http://www.lavryengineering.com/whit...Quickstart.pdf

Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for following the thread.
That will be $20. Please pay at the cashier counter at the exit.
Don't get me wrong, but memorizing every single detail about other people's setups doesn't pay my bills.

Quote:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/3828700-post20.html

the simple RCA to XLR is only 3'. the one with Canare Transfo's are 12', RCA to BNC.
That was 40 posts ago mate, and not exactly the current discussion.
Have you noticed any difference between clocking through WC vs SPDIF with both setups?
That's what we're talking about now, right?
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was 40 posts ago mate, and not exactly the current discussion.
Have you noticed any difference between clocking through WC vs SPDIF with both setups?
That's what we're talking about now, right?
erm... you're the one who asked the question and brought up the discussion mate...
"Which Canare model? How long were they? What were you connecting?"

and we're talking about everything in regards to connecting the Lavry... unless you wanna part-take in the "mic to preamp to Lavry" discussion, be my guest.

to answer your question, i don't hear a huge difference between WC vs SPDIF, but IME i've had less clocking issues with WC. plus i'm clocking multiple digital devices in my studio (Lavry Blue, Prism, RME, 003) having WC via T-bar sync'ing every piece is invaluable to me. can't really say the same about SPDIF.
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
erm... you're the one who asked the question and brought up the discussion mate...
"Which Canare model? How long were they? What were you connecting?"

and we're talking about everything in regards to connecting the Lavry... unless you wanna part-take in the "mic to preamp to Lavry" discussion, be my guest.
I did ask those questions, but they came in consequence of what we were talking just before.
Again, it would never occur to me that you could have mentioned 40 posts back 'part' of what I was asking now and assumed others would retain that info throughout.

Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Sound View Post
As far as clocking goes, it is only necessary to have PT set to clock from the SPDIF input when recording. It probably (slightly) increases the “jitter” in the 003 SPDIF output that is feeding the Lavry MDA clocking PT from the SPDIF input, but there probably won’t be much of a change to the sound quality that the MDA outputs due to its “de-jittering” circuitry.You seem to be well versed on the matter, but let me tell you that Lavry Blue's DA is much better if the Digi is clocked off the Lavry - not only while recording but also during playback.
So much so that if I leave the Digi wrongly set to Internal clock, I'll have to mix the stuff all over again with the Lavry (or some other external clock) set as master.
You seem to be well versed on the matter, but let me tell you that Lavry Blue's DA is much better if the Digi is clocked off the Lavry - not only while recording but also during playback.
So much so that if I leave the Digi wrongly set to Internal clock, I'll have to mix the stuff all over again with the Lavry (or some other external clock) set as master.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You seem to be well versed on the matter, but let me tell you that Lavry Blue's DA is much better if the Digi is clocked off the Lavry - not only while recording but also during playback.
+1.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Hey John,
Talked to you before you may not remember me..
Anyway I also have Lavry blue and I don't look back! It's awesome. You may want to have a look at the SmPro M-Patch 2 as a monitor controller.
Don't be fooled by the brand, it's an aweswome box, completely passive, so it doesn't add or take away anything from the sound. Differently from the Big Knob, etc.. and the headphone out on it is the best I have at the moment.
Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search