The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UREI or REEDITION???? Dilema!!
Old 21st June 2005
Here for the gear

UREI or REEDITION???? Dilema!!

Hi! I just receive de 2-1176 from UA and I'm returning it to the store!!!!! didn't like at all, I had a black face revision D to compare. and has nothing to do with the original!!. My question is if somebody has tested the 1176 UA reedition against a real one. and if it is worth it to change the 2-1176 for two of the reeditions. Or just forget about UA completely?

Thank you all!!!
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

I own a vintage rev B 1176 and in the studio downtown have another rev B and a rev F 1176 and I've tried the UA reissues. To me the reissues don't sound the same as the real thing. Personally I would not buy them.

Which is unfortunate, because it would have been nice to have access to high quality modern made 1176's that had the mojo of the originals.

I'm looking for an LA2A right now and it would be great to get a reissue that was true instead of trying to find a good properly working vintage LA2A.
Old 21st June 2005
member no 666

The best 1176 clone I've heard/used it the Purple Audio MC-77... it's like an original, only quieter.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

I did the same thing you did: Purchased the 2-1176. Hated it. Now I own a Rev D and a Rev F and... heh ... they blow it away. stike
Old 22nd June 2005
Here for the gear

YES!! teh real thing!

But did somebody make a blind test between a UA1176 and a 1176 REV D or F??? Some people are very happy with them....
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

..please remember that 1176 rev D and F are VERY different entities..

Jakob E.
Old 22nd June 2005
As the innards are very close to the original, my guess that it's the resistors that set the sound of them apart. The new UA models use cheap oriental carbon film resistors. The originals used carbon composition resistors. Sonically, the carbon comp resistors have some extra "zip" in the tops, that may be what you're missing. Fortunatly, carbon comp resistors are now back in production, so solder away and report back your findings....

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

From what I undestand, the 2-1176's are transformerless, and the transformers make a huge difference.
Old 22nd June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
The best 1176 clone I've heard/used it the Purple Audio MC-77... it's like an original, only quieter.

My new favorite snare comp.
Old 22nd June 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
From what I undestand, the 2-1176's are transformerless, and the transformers make a huge difference.
There are output transformers in the 2-1176 .
Old 18th September 2005
Lives for gear

How about the rev. G? Somebody's trying to sell one.

I read that they switched the input transformer to an op-amp.

Any opinions/info?
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Anyone? Anyone?

(Sorry to bump it, but I figured I'd have better luck getting the skinny on the Rev. G Monday morning)...
Old 19th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Check out the purple audio comps. Amazing quality, and AMAZ-ING support.

That company stands by its products to an amazing degree. If I needed an 1176, I would get purple's....
Old 19th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK, I'm ready to do a side by side comparison. I am receiving
(2) UA 1176LNs this week. The place I am buying them from is
giving me 30 days to return them if I don't like 'em.
(Keep all orginal stuff, don't rack mount etc, etc. )

If I order the "Purple" from Merceary will I be able to
return the “Purple” if its not the clear winner? How many
days?

I will only need to open the box on (1) UA 1176LN.
Do the comparison, make a choice! heh

What source material will show the biggest difference
between these two units? (Want to make quick choice
if possible.)

p.s. When test over I need (2) units of what ever sounds best to me.
So I will end up with either two “Purples” or to ‘UAs”

best,
Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano
How about the rev. G? Somebody's trying to sell one.

I read that they switched the input transformer to an op-amp.

Any opinions/info?
One more time, and I'll drop it:

How are the Rev. G's compared to the earlier ones?
Old 27th September 2005
OKAY! I'm back from crushing Sierra granite in the Hummer. Ver. G does use a dual opamp instead of the UTC input transformer. They used a 5532 opamp, a POS. I replace the feedback cap with a 22pf for more bandwidth and I replace the 22 uf input blocking caps with 47 uf. Then you can try out a:

BurrBrown OPA3134
BB OPA2604
Linear tech LT1358
National LM6172

Leave in the input blocking caps as they block 15 volts dc.

I like the G versions cleaned up much better than the ver. D or E. Cleaner, faster.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 27th September 2005
Lives for gear

The Purple MC77 is the heat. I like it better then the originals.
Old 3rd October 2005
Here for the gear

Since there were two posts relating to the same thing, I'm posting most of the same info here as well. I'll only add a bit about old 1176s and our 1176 clone. There is a lot of information out there on the 1176, some misinformation; mostly because so many people have them, and there have been so many iterations. The person who said that there is a big difference between the rev. D and F, is correct in that the rev. F changed the circuit to a class AB design, and went to an op amp for the metering circuit. Here's a revision history:

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2003/august/index4.html

Once again, as there are so many units out there at various levels of repair and calibration, and so many revisions, few 1176s really sound alike tonally; however, they all share the same compression charcteristics. Our units are based on the rev. D/E era. As we use the same components/tolerances now as we did then, I'm sure our units will end up sounding varied over time as well.

To address Mr. Williams, its true we use carbon film resitors, because this is what the original units used, with a few carbon comps in places.

Mr. Pellegrino, I do recommend you take a listening test; our clones sound like, and are the real deal.

The 2-1176 design has some differences when compared to our clone, by deliberate design. However, the circuit of the 2-1176 is very similar to the revision D/E originals - same class A circuit, same Putnam output transformer and FET gain reduction. While our classic reissues strive to be true to the original design and component choices in every way possible (LA-2A, LA-3A, 1176LN), with the iterative products we do take certain liberties for modernization and improvement. The 2-1176 really was derived from our award-winning channel strip the 6176, for which we layed out the 1176 in a smaller format. The product was so successful and the compressor so popular, we rolled the 1176 into a two channel version, hence the 2-1176. The 2-1176 has also been hugely popular and also won the TEC award.

Differences: the caps and resistors are modern and are actually better quality and tolerances with the 2-1176 (metal film instead of carbon, nice WIMAs). This could contribute to a subtly cleaner sound. The 2-1176 also comes with an output impedence selection on the rear of the unit 600 ohm (classic) 15,000 ohm (modern) which will also 'modernize' the tone. While the two units share the same custom Putnam designed output transformer, the input transformers are different; the reissue uses the transformer cloned from D/E generation of units which functions interdependently with the T Pad used for input gain, while the 2-1176 uses a custom Cinemag transformer. Obviously, to fit two 1176's into the same form factor require some modification of the circuit layout/topology but these changes are only made with due sonic consideration and respect for the original design philosophy.

Feel free to eamil me or call me here at UA.

-Will.

1 866 823 1176
Old 3rd October 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
The new UA models use cheap oriental carbon film resistors.
Ha Ha Ha... Jim, it's time to start using the word "asian"...
Old 4th October 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shanks
Since there were two posts relating to the same thing, I'm posting most of the same info here as well. I'll only add a bit about old 1176s and our 1176 clone. There is a lot of information out there on the 1176, some misinformation; mostly because so many people have them, and there have been so many iterations.
Hey Will-

The fact of the matter is that the Purple Audio MC-77 is still a better recreation than the UA recreation... no matter the color of the faceplate, the UA pales in comparison [from the first re-issue which was almost decent to the current issues which are shall we say "less than stellar"]... I know you can't agree with that statement, but that's cool.

See ya in NY... let's grab a drink or 5
Old 5th October 2005
Here for the gear

The 2-1176 uses all metal film. Off to AES! I'll be at the booth firday thru monday, anyone is welcome to listen to our 1176 clone, the 2-1176 and a vintage 1176 all side by side. Bring your own program material on CD if you wish! You can also check out our LA-3A clone, side by side with a vintage.

-Will.
Old 5th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shanks
I'll be at the booth firday thru monday, anyone is welcome to listen to our 1176 clone, the 2-1176 and a vintage 1176 all side by side. -Will.
Nice. C'mon people...how about using those ears of yours...
Old 6th January 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellegrino
My question is if somebody has tested the 1176 UA reedition against a real one.
finally got a UA 1176 (pre 200 serial #) to mexico and heard it against my F revision 1176. haven't had time to do a one on one with a single instrument, but i multed one side of sting's ten summoner's tales, sent that to each 1176, sent the individual outputs back to a procontrol (source 1 and source 2) and A/Bd that way, with S3As.

bottom line is the F revision was a little louder (to be expected) but when i compensated for that, IMO they were very close. close enough to keep the UA. the urei looks cooler for sure, but sound wise i could use either.

i know this verdict is not popular here at GS... guess that puts me right out of the 'golden ears' category, eh?

anyway, when i A/B with vox, bass or snare individually i may change my mind. if that happens, i'll post back.
Old 6th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Like which version of the original???

The "Rev F" and later sound VERY different from the earlier Revs.
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley
Fletcher,

What does it mean first re-issue? Versus current issues? Has it been re-issued more than once? I have a re-issue from UA with serial number 161.
Which one do I have?

confused

Fletcher, do you sell UA?

Do you sell Purple Audio?

Just curious.

TH
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

I recently had a UA 1176 as a test device in my studio and liked it very much on my vocals, which I tracked through it.

so much that I ordered a pair (still waiting for it).

Does it sound like an E, D, F or Y revision ?
I don´t know.

Is it a faithful recreation of my grandfather´s gun ?
I don´t care.

Does it matter to me if fletcher, Jim Williams or even the pope thinks that something else is the truer recreation of my grandfather´s gun ?

No.

At the same time I had an UA LA-2A here.
Either the unit was damaged or my expectations ( never heard an old LA-2A) were wrong but it didn´t work on any signal I tried it on.
Big disappointment for me.

what does this mean for you mates out there ?

Nothing.

It´s the relation between the gear and the man who operates it.
Not the gear itself.

Cheers heh
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

The deal is that the original input attenuator (IIRC) became unavailable after the first couple of hundred units were produced. During this time Purple stopped producing the clone and UA used a substitute. Midway through 2005 the original component became available again and Purple restarted production and UA reverted back to it's use.

FYI your unit uses the original component
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Fletcher,

What does it mean first re-issue? Versus current issues? Has it been re-issued more than once? I have a re-issue from UA with serial number 161. Which one do I have?
i'm not fletcher and please correct me if i'm wrong, but it appears that somewhere pre no.200, they had to switch some part (i think the pots but don't quote me on that) as their vendor stopped supplying them. later (don't know which serial no.) it appears this was again 'corrected'.

i have a pre 200 UA1176 and an original 1176 (F revision). i'm keeping both. if you have #161 i think you have one of the 'good' ones. if you do a search here on GS you'll see the topic has been much discussed.

(edit) didn't see your question had been answered in the previous post! sorry.
Old 13th January 2006
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH
OK, I'm ready to do a side by side comparison. I am receiving
(2) UA 1176LNs this week. The place I am buying them from is
giving me 30 days to return them if I don't like 'em.
(Keep all orginal stuff, don't rack mount etc, etc. )

If I order the "Purple" from Merceary will I be able to
return the “Purple” if its not the clear winner? How many
days?
Sorry I missed this one however many months ago... the answer is "this is not a problem"... you have as many days as you need to make a firm determination as to whether or not the equipment is 110% right for your purposes... we don't have time limits. http://www.mercenary.com/policies.html

Quote:
Fletcher,

What does it mean first re-issue? Versus current issues? Has it been re-issued more than once? I have a re-issue from UA with serial number 161. Which one do I have?
When UA came out with the first 1176 reissues... back I don't know how many years ago... 6+ I think but it's been a lot of miles so I can't say for sure... the product they produced was pretty close to a well maintained "D" revision 1176LN. Within a couple of years the stuff I was running into was sheer crap... if you're looking at it from the perspective of it being a recreation of an old friend and familiar tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman
I recently had a UA 1176 as a test device in my studio and liked it very much on my vocals, which I tracked through it.

so much that I ordered a pair (still waiting for it).

Does it sound like an E, D, F or Y revision ?
I don´t know.

Is it a faithful recreation of my grandfather´s gun ?
I don´t care.

Does it matter to me if fletcher, Jim Williams or even the pope thinks that something else is the truer recreation of my grandfather´s gun ?

No.
This is perhaps the most spot on post in this whole thread. If the UA reissue is a viable tool for the art/craft you call engineering then that is all that's important. Ain't nobody walking down the street humming the 1176... but they will be impacted by the emotion of the presentation... so if the tool assists you in adding to, or conveying the artists' intention/emotion that is all that is important.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search