The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can the SPL TD4 replace a ...
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Can the SPL TD4 replace a ...

...compressor in a parallel compression situation for the kick and snare?

Thanx
Old 21st June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra

Thanx
No and yes. heh
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

The TD4 really isn't a compressor, although they both affect transients. That said, I've used it in parallel with individual as well as drum sub, often with great results. It's a really wonderful piece of gear that just begs for experimentation.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
No and yes. heh
what he said .. er

No OR Yes.

Sometimes

In my opinion ...

(just buy it, you'll use it)
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanx

the biggest strength of the TD4 is....

it's soooooooo quick 'n easy!

andreas
Old 22nd June 2005
no ssl yet
SO I shouldnt sell mine?

You guys are making it hard for me to sell mine. (I was selling to buy plugs

I may keep it. I usually use mine in addition to compression. I normally use parallel compression on drums to get more level/fullness than I can get with gain alone (hope I'm saying this correctly?)

Then I use the TD to add that extra volume on the attack that makes it stand out.

But I may be lazy because I've been doing this with the waves plugs alot lately
Old 22nd June 2005

I hate to say it SSL, but I really wouldnt sell it. I almost always fiddle with the plug-ins first for most transient bending applications, then scrabble for the TD4 cos it just works so good!
Old 22nd June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
You guys are making it hard for me to sell mine. (I was selling to buy plugs

Definitely not me since i sold mine a while ago and have not missed it since.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

I tried the plugs. The are ok. The sony one is better but still...I have a feeling the SPL beats them.

The thing is I can usually get enough "pop" out of a percussive instrument using a compressor. The reason I would use the TD4 is to free up compressors I use to parallel compress the snare and the kick...so...your "yes and no" answers don't help heh

Jan said it works fine...what's the catch? Don't you usually parallel comp things to get more attack (compress the signal a lot with a slow attack)?

Thrill why did you sell yours?
Old 22nd June 2005
Quote:
Thrill why did you sell yours?

Why?

I never use it.

Also i could never match it with the right EQ.

Lastly it has the "SPL" sound.

A little bright and and slightly edgy.

Almost what you characterize as digital sounding.

I prefer to use a comp in your situation.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor

Lastly it has the "SPL" sound.
That must be what Bob Katz loves about his mastering console from SPL.
Must be same with their big-ass EQ.
From what I read they have quite differently sounding pieces.
And my monitorng controller and de-esser from them seem sounding pretty well. The headphone amp of the moni controller even slightly surpasses the one in the DAC-1. Only the SPLs jack is not that smooth and not so gentle to the 1/4" plug.

Ruphus
Old 22nd June 2005
no ssl yet
Dont shoot me

I'll probably get hailed with flames for this but I get most of the snap/crack that I need from dbx160xt (got 3 need at least one more)

I dont think the spl is "the answer" it sometimes works for a bit more but I get what I'm looking for from the lowly dbx units.

MY TD4 is for sale here on gearslutz right now.

Also I'll probably get burned at the stake, but I remember being able to make compressorbank sound alot like the dbx when I had the plug (although not quite the same exactly)
Old 22nd June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
From what I read they have quite differently sounding pieces.
And my monitorng controller and de-esser from them seem sounding pretty well. The headphone amp of the moni controller even slightly surpasses the one in the DAC-1. Only the SPLs jack is not that smooth and not so gentle to the 1/4" plug.

Ruphus

Again its an opinion.

Bob K has different taste than me.

I had him master a project for me once and i thought it was a little "too clean".

He thought it worked best.

We differed.

End of story.

I wasn't there at the session though so that's my fault.

Anyway most of the SPL gear i've used has a little bright edge to it.

Its a different brightness compared to GML stuff(which i can handle).
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Guru

agreed, SPL and GML are both s*****/bright in their own way ... i use neither in a mastering chain, but some do to good effect,

Yet for the TD4, as a parallel comp alternative for non compressed drum styles (or in addition to comps) it's fine. As a snare comp alternative less so.

For room mics, and making verbs bigger or smaller - priceless.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

I can well imagine how the GML EQs must be very fine stuff.
Checking out for R-880 presets for the vocal on the one piece I posted a while ago I went through the cards selected the best fitting examples and ended up with a GML tweak.
The man who arranged it must have extraordinary abilities, just like his reputation. thumbsup The vocal now sounds damn good, only yet needs tailoring tails which I´ll be doing in a minute.

Still, I can imagine that the big SPL EQ could be in the way you mean. I read Fletcher calling it smooth which made me curious to hear it one day in the future. Though if one could afford it you´d need the rack space for it. That´s a huge box.

Ruphus
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Still, I can imagine that the big SPL EQ could be in the way you mean. I read Fletcher calling it smooth which made me curious to hear it one day in the future. Though if one could afford it you´d need the rack space for it. That´s a huge box.

Ruphus
not many have heard the SPL eq, i haven't, so it may differ from the SPL family sound ???
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

I am familiar with only two of their pieces, but Fletcher should know.

Ruphus
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jan said it works fine...what's the catch? Don't you usually parallel comp things to get more attack (compress the signal a lot with a slow attack)?
I said that I've used it for parallel processing, not that it can replace a compressor. It's really a different animal. You should get one to try and see if it works for you.
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah I think the TD sucks by itself.. When I first got one I used it while tracking to add a little attack to a snare and ended up regretting it come mix. For really dense mixes though its nice to add it as a mult on kicks and snare with a lot of attack and a little less sustain to get them to poke thru a little more... I think its bright and edgy sound helps that a bit.. For me to get the same effect with a compressor ends up bringing up too much bleed... If it were sample based music I'd look to a compressor though..

Too much TD on drums is a baaad thing.
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
but Fletcher should know.
sure, maybe your ears agree

for me ...
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think your mistaking Bob Katz for Bob Ludwig.
Bob K doesn't has a SPL mastering console AFAIK.
Though the electronics in the SPL mastering consoles and the big EQ is very different then the stuff inside the TD.
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
sure, maybe your ears agree

for me ...
I meant in regard of how and whether it differs to other products of the same line or to other EQs. Agreed, personal trial before buy would be best naturally, the more in that product category.
The specs and reviews at least read outstanding. It seems a precision box and I like scalpels. Am waiting all the time for people to tell us more about it, even if it wouldn´t join my rack that soon anyway for its exceptional price. ( And I´m only thinking of the recording version without recall.)

Ruphus
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss
I think your mistaking Bob Katz for Bob Ludwig.
Bob K doesn't has a SPL mastering console AFAIK.
Though the electronics in the SPL mastering consoles and the big EQ is very different then the stuff inside the TD.
Oh chit, you´re right! I´m sorry.

Ruphus
Old 29th January 2013
Fun going over old threads. Curious, why was Bob K mastering a "little too bright" now that we know he wasn't using SPL gear? Thats got to make us chuckle.

BTW, SPL 120v stuff is pretty sweet.

I'm looking at getting a TD4. I had a TD2 but sold it. Then, like a sheep, I bought the plug-in and want the hardware back. The TD plug-in is okay if you haven't used the real deal but I couldn't be bother with it. It gets a goofy bright edge to it as you increase things. The hardware doesn't do that at all. Hardware stays very smooth and even. The TD plug-in just isn't the same, the hardware however, I like it!

Now that 8 years has passed , the new plug-in version is still inferior. Hardware much better. Any TD hardware people left in the world or are you converted to plug-ins?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Transpressor ?

Thanks ahead for any advice or opinions!
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
The Transpressor is a nice improvement over the original TD. They switched to a dual VCA design which renders a more natural and bigger sound. They also added a Wet/Dry knob which is very cool and they combined it with a VCA compressor. The compressor is not overly aggresive but it is better than a poke in the eye with a stick.
Old 29th January 2013
Hey thanks! I'm on the edge of pulling the wallet out on this. So the Transpressor sounds better? But has the same extended effect if you want it and a nice tail to it? Have you tried the plug-in? Do you know what I mean about them?

Can you hard bypass the Transpressor ? If you gave one to a diehard TD4 lover would they love it you think? there is so little talk about them.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey thanks! I'm on the edge of pulling the wallet out on this. So the Transpressor sounds better? But has the same extended effect if you want it and a nice tail to it? Have you tried the plug-in? Do you know what I mean about them?

Can you hard bypass the Transpressor ? If you gave one to a diehard TD4 lover would they love it you think? there is so little talk about them.
I've never used the software. Was a long time owner of the TD4. The Transpressor does everything the original TD did but it just sounds better and has more features. It is only single channel though.
Old 29th January 2013
Single is cool. One for Snare, One for Kick.

I'll take you word on it. Love SPL gear. Just bought the Neos. Its electric energy.

Cheers!
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

... Any TD hardware people left in the world or are you converted to plug-ins?

Thanks ahead for any advice or opinions!

Hey audiokid, still have the TD4 racked up here. Got a great deal on a mint, used one on eBay... probably a lot of folks selling h/w for plugs. Not me! Always a unique functioning, fun to use, easy tweaking unit that simply works. I think it's a great concept and implementation. I'll be keeping mine!

Haven't tried the Transpressor.

Relevant to the old OP, the TD could never replace or sound like my 2500 or 1176, for examples, in parallel or not. And visa versa

Old 29th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Hey audiokid, still have the TD4 racked up here. Got a great deal on a mint, used one on eBay... probably a lot of folks selling h/w for plugs. Not me! Always a unique functioning, fun to use, easy tweaking unit that simply works. I think it's a great concept and implementation. I'll be keeping mine!

Haven't tried the Transpressor.

Relevant to the old OP, the TD could never replace or sound like my 2500 or 1176, for examples, in parallel or not. And visa versa

Hey string6theory, I should have known you use that too. Great minds thinking alike once again lol! I need to get a 2500. I have a few 1176's, love those but the TD is unique, eh. The plug-ins effect the single in a bad way even when they are bypassed.

I'm going to try and swing 2 Transpressor's. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search