The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
inexpensive VIPREs
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Addict

inexpensive VIPREs REVISED. . . was a pricing mistake. . . . . .

PRICING MISTAKE IT WAS. . . . . . or at least that price wasn't supposed to still be in the system when I spoke to GC about it. . .

I'm just going to throw this one out there for folks as the VIPRE seems to be a hot item.

While it seems many don't like the big guys--Guit Center, Sam Ash--many are cost conscious nonetheless. Guitar Center seems to have a good deal on VIPREs which can be bought by special order for 1500.00. . . . .

Not trying to help undercut anyone else who sells stuff and promote the big guys, but I feel it only fair to make mention of this as others strapped or not for cash could benefit from this.

Last edited by wilkinswp; 22nd June 2005 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: add'l info and more addl'l info and more
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Guru

my creative coconspirator has a vipre.

i'm trying to love it, i really am. i've only tried it on acoustic guitar and voice, and preferred it least to everything else we have (stt-1, dvc, & mp2nv).

i have faith it's got mojo, i just have to find it. fortunately, looking for it is fun as hell.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

There are some situations where it's not the number one choice, but I think it rocks overall. Sounds great on a lot of rock stuff (vox, kick, snare, bass, guitars, whatever), and I actually used it on some vocals for some rap stuff the other night.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

I actually asked the GC Pro guy in ATL today and he had no clue what I was talking about....he thinks it was a one day thing...I dunno, just a report.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

They were losing a ton of money selling it at that price.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

???? I just tried to check it out and the cheapest I could find it for was just under 2800. I would sure be interestred in a 1500 dollar Vipre.
Old 21st June 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

Fuk I was just thinking about vipres earlier. IMO they sell pretty cheap 2nd hand. But "if" I could get a new one for the price of a used one, I think I would hop all over it like a horny rabbit.

Ima call up GC tomorrow.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

I remember the Alesis Vipre.............LOL heh Did GT change the design or did they just pull a "Telefunken"
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
I remember the Alesis Vipre.............LOL heh Did GT change the design or did they just pull a "Telefunken"
GT DID the design and manufacture and then licensed it to Alesis for distribution. Their agreement concluded, and Aspen continued manufacture w/o the Alesis logo.

IOW, it is the same.
Old 22nd June 2005
Here for the gear

cheap viPREs? no way....

Hate to rain on "ViPRE for Peanuts Parade", but here's a few pesky facts to clear the air...

1) As of January 1, 2005, the MSRP on a ViPRE was raised from $2,999 to $3,499, and street prices have hover around $2,800 since then. Last year they hovered around $2,400 at the lower 2004 MSRP.

2) Certainly occasional returns or store demos might have been discounted lower than that just to turn over stocks, but $1,500 is doubtful on a new unit specially ordered.

3) GC pays the EXACTLY same for a ViPRE as every GT dealer, they have no "special deal".

4) GT dealers pay WAY more than $1,500 for a new ViPRE, and so need to sell them around $2,800 to keep the lights on...that fact establishes street price around $2,800 (as of 2005).

5) If you call a GC or Sam Ash and ask for the "special order deal on ViPREs for $1,500", you'll be wasting your time but they'll get a good laugh over it.

6) If Wilkinswp paid $1,500, that would either have to be a mistake, a used or demo unit, or he/she was Touched by an Angel...none of which matters if you've got a ViPRE for that cheap...don't worry, be happy.
Old 22nd June 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburn34
They were losing a ton of money selling it at that price.
Affirmative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gross Tetrodes
6) If Wilkinswp paid $1,500, that would either have to be a mistake, a used or demo unit, or he/she was Touched by an Angel...
I was once touched by an intern, but it's not the same.

War
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Affirmative!

I was once touched by an intern, but it's not the same.

War

I almost fell out of my seat when I read that one. . . pretty funny. . .
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
GT DID the design and manufacture and then licensed it to Alesis for distribution. Their agreement concluded, and Aspen continued manufacture w/o the Alesis logo.

Wasn't it also cheaper when it had the Alesis LOGO????
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Guitar Center was stocking the Vipre at one point and when they discontinued it as an every item and one came back as a return, they blew it out and devalled it in the system. $1500 is the price they changed it to so that the salesperson could sell it for under actual cost and not lose money. The actual price they can get it at is closer to $2500. I know this because the last one in the chain was sold here in Austin.
Old 24th June 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
Wasn't it also cheaper when it had the Alesis LOGO????
FYI: Alesis had purchased the pro audio products line (only) from GT in 1997. GT designed ViPRE and handuilt several prototypes (for trade shows) while working with/for Alesis, and before the Alesis bankruptcy in 1999. Alesis had announced ViPRE prematurely (as always) and naively forcasted a very low MSRP @ $2,000 (as always) based on their plans to make it 100% in China like one of their low cost multi effects (as always). Later they raised MSRP to $2,400. However while they took many orders, they never actually built and/or sold a single ViPRE due to their declining financial condition coupled with the difficulty to manufacture the original all tube, fully floated and balanced GT prototype which was a strange animal to the ADAT folks.

GT exercised a non-payment "escape clause" in their contract some months before the Alesis 1999 bankruptcy. In the deal GT got back all GT pro audio IP including the mics and ViPRE (still a project in process) in exchange for forgiving a large unpaid debt.

ViPRE finally came to market mid 2000 under GT management, now @ MSRP $2999 (rasied to $3,499 in 2005). The GT solution was to partially build it in China with 26 hours of hand labor assembly, but using critical signal path components (xfmrs, tubes, caps, etc.) made by GT in LA area. ViPRE gets final assembly and QC at GT's California factory.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Gross Tetrodes,

(GT heh ), So none of those Alesis Vipre orders @ the $2,000 list (or $2400 for that matter), were actually filled?

That's interesting.

I always felt like I missed out on what I thought was introductory pricing for the Vipre when I saw it unveiled at the L.A. AES show by Alesis. I was really impressed by the unit, but just didn't think the price was gonna go up that much, stupid me.

Fleaman

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search