The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sontec MEP250 <----> GML 8200
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Nut

Sontec MEP250 <----> GML 8200

Hi,
I was wondering how close the Sontec MEP250 and the GML 8200 are?
Also, what's the ballpark amount you'd have to pay for the Sontec?
Is there only one version of the Sontec, being the MEP250?
As for the MEP250, what are the differences between the three suffixes? (I believe A,C and X)

Local 47
Old 23rd June 2005
They look alike, but don't sound alike. I think it's the same basic circuit (could be wrong) but the opamps are quite different...
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
They look alike, but don't sound alike. I think it's the same basic circuit (could be wrong) but the opamps are quite different...
Brad,

How do they compare servicing-wise? Heard the Sontec are a bit tougher cause of the epoxy 'blanket'.
Old 23rd June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsandblu
Brad,

How do they compare servicing-wise? Heard the Sontec are a bit tougher cause of the epoxy 'blanket'.
Sontec's can't be serviced anymore if it's an opamp - you have to find opamps (if you can) assuming one goes down or replace them with something else (which will change the sound). GML still sells the 8200, so service wouldn't be an issue...
Old 23rd June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local 47
Hi,
I was wondering how close the Sontec MEP250 and the GML 8200 are?

Local 47

They actually aren't as much as one would think.

The GML 8200 has the "diamond"sounding top in the highs(a little bright and edgy), the Sontec is a little but more natural(i prefer the Sontecs for this).

The bottomn is a little tighter though on the GML 8200 in my opinion.

Over all the Sontec would be characterized as a laid back straight wire and the GML an excited straight wire.

How much would i pay?

Of all the Sontecs the best if you could find one would be the mastering version.

Problem is they pull in a premium price($5k-$6K used).

Also there aren't many around.

Over the years i've seen 2 on Ebay.

Of the non mastering versions, probably the C version.

Its the pre cursor to the 8200.

Around $2K used.
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks guys.

Wow,around $2k for the Sontec. Quite a difference with the GML. Even though they are not the same THAT is still a big gap between both 'siblings'.

Local 47
Old 23rd June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local 47
Thanks guys.

Wow,around $2k for the Sontec. Quite a difference with the GML. Even though they are not the same THAT is still a big gap between both 'siblings'.

Local 47

GML has an outboard power supply,better parts and its GML's own topology.

Also most important its repairable!!!

I've had different Sontecs over the years(250C and DR202) and they both broke down and pretty much were retired.
Old 23rd June 2005
One with big hooves

Well, since a Sontec will become a boat anchor when it fails I'd go with the GML or maybe a pair of Emperical Lil Freq's though they might not have the kind of tone you're looking for in a mastering situation. AFAIK Sontec is gone and Burgess McNeil fell off the planet...he was the only man alive who could service them so when your EQ dies it's not gonna come back.

Friends don't let friends buy Sontecs. LOL
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Sontecs can be repaired. Steve Firlotte at Inward repairs them. He's the only one that he or I knows that does. He actually improves them, from what I've been told. If you can find a mastering sontec and have Steve go through it, then you shouldn't have much to worry about. However, Steve's pretty busy these days. Off building consoles and getting ready to design a sontec style EQ himself, which is in the books for sep, oct. Regardless of this, can't go wrong with GML 8200. They're an industry standard.
Old 24th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
Sontecs can be repaired. Steve Firlotte at Inward repairs them. He's the only one that he or I knows that does. He actually improves them, from what I've been told. If you can find a mastering sontec and have Steve go through it, then you shouldn't have much to worry about. However, Steve's pretty busy these days. Off building consoles and getting ready to design a sontec style EQ himself, which is in the books for sep, oct. Regardless of this, can't go wrong with GML 8200. They're an industry standard.

Yeah after having Steve go through it and finding a used mastering Sontec he will be pushing almost $7.5K.

For $7.5K you can find something decent. heh

A GML 8200 wouldn't be my first choice though.

I do like Steve F's tube limiters though.
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

And what would this "decent" item be? Curious.
Old 15th June 2008
Lives for gear

i know thats a 2005 thead here but if somebody know

how i can find Burgess Mcneil

please send me a message.

thx patrick
Old 15th June 2008
Lives for gear

PM Brad Blackwood (posted earlier in the thread) or catch him over at PSW Recording Forums: Brad Blackwood.
Old 17th June 2008
Anyone interested in an MEP-250c?
It's in need of repair (again) and we're tired of sending it out.
Old 19th June 2008
Here for the gear

interested

im interested in an MEP-250c. very interested. where is it located?
Old 2nd September 2008
Here for the gear

Sontec?

Hello, Gruntboy here,

It's difficult for me to believe that so many people are having a hard time finding Burgess Macneal He is up and running with existing and new products in process along with full service and support as always. He has the best prices available anywhere and he's been doing this ever since I started doing business with him back in '92. He won't try to sell you a bunch of capacitor recapping snake oil like some of these other guys, not mentioning any names and I have never had problems contacting him. Even in the wee hours of the morning he answers his phone! You couldn't find a more honest, helpful and nicer person. You can simply email him or call him. Just be careful 'what' you call him.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search