The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA-2-610 on master bus?
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

UA-2-610 on master bus?

Hi everyone, i've heard that the UA 2-610 accepts line signal (there's line inputs on each channel)
i would like to know if someone tried this unit as a master insert ( running a whole mix out for your daw through it) and how does it sound?
I'm not sure about the summing boxes relevance and their prohibitive cost but i like the idea of warming up a digital mix throug a good quality analog device.

thanks for your suggestions.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Low End board is just below
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

what do you mean??????
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

This unit is not stellar imho,

I'm not sure you will gain quality in that process

This "warming digital" hype is not the main reason some use summing boxes btw.

My call is that you should "warm" your sound while tracking, without mismatching "warmth" and "lack of definition" .

Then use a mix setup that makes you feel confortable. External summing will give you more headroom, often punch and sometimes better depth control.

Warming your mix buss with uaudio 610 will only add distortion, might clip on transients occasionally and reduce definition on the whole mix.

Good Luck
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour
what do you mean??????
Oh, and sorry for my joke in the first post
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

If ya want to stay ITB and digital....I´d rather recommend a Cranesong HEDD for a final touch of glue/saturation (whatever you call it)...btw. you get a pair of really good A/D - D/A with it....

UA 2-610 is front end only - in my opinion - and I even don´t like it very much there either (not bashin UA....I DO like the new LA2A very much e.g., just not their pre´s)
but I´d def. keep it away from the mixbus.
try a HEDD, maybe even try a fatso....my guess is that you´re not looking for tube-color but for tape-color that kind of glues the mix...
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

hum..thanks for the replies and the hilarious joke. but actualy y you haven't tried it right?
i've read a couple of reviews were it was stated that the 2-610 worked really well on the mix buss. hence my question. thanks Tom for your suggestion. actually i don't know if what i want is a tape saturation vs tube sound. the ua pres are based on the original ua modules from their valve mixind desk used in the 60's anc used by the byrds, beach boys and even Neil Young who bought one in the 70's. i understand that a good solid state design will give a clearer sound with a better definition than valves, but this is maybe not what i'm looking for. i will try the fatso though. actually i was bidding on a nicerizer and won the bid but phoenix audio refused my paypal payment saying that the unit was sold already! really cheeky, but they will contact me soon for another ex-demo unit...well they'd better too or i will use my right to feedback!
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

If the 2-610 is giving you the sound you want, then there's no reason NOT to use it. Chances are, you'll get at least a different sound than the 'follow the hype' crowd.......

FWIW, I absolutely love my UA 6176, a great unit!

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

I've had my UA for a few years, but have been mostly using the GTQ2 to track for the last year (with the exception of the DI for bass). Unfortunately, it blew a fuse and I had to send to get fixed (Geoff Tanner, work your magic). As a result, I've had to use the UA track on some recent projects. It's sort of been disapointing. I hear what some of you guys were saying about the distortion thing. I couldn't really get a good acoustic guitar sound with the Josephson C42 or an IFet7. I need the GTQ2 back!

I do think the UA sounds good with a SM7 and also the AEA R84, but that mic sounds great period. I would get the fatso if you want something to warm up the sound. The UA is dark anyway, and it will probably distort your sound. Has anyone tried it with a folcrom?

I'm still torn, should I invest in some Telefunken tubes for the UA, or sell it? And what would be a good second pre to compliment the GTQ2 (1073) sound? A Chandler? API?
Old 20th June 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=wallace]should I invest in some Telefunken tubes for the UA, or sell it? QUOTE]

Try putting in a pair of nice NOS 12AX7's first. It will help "open" up the sound a bit and make it a bit more clean. If you still are not diggin' it then sell it.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk
Low End board is just below
This is ridiculous. Elitist bullsh*t.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, someone mentioned in another post to replace the 12AX7 tubes first. I was thinking about getting somes Telefunkin 12AX7 NOS . I might try one first before I shell out $200 for both.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
No more ridiculous than thinking that you can just run your well thought out mix through some midrange preamp with a quirky sound, less than optimal frequency response and poor distortion specs and have it glue everything together in some magical way. I mean, it could happen, but if it actually improves your mix I think you need to be doing better work further upstgream.

How's that for elitist.

(hey, maybe I'll try it)

-R
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is not.

This is a Joke, as I stated in this very thread, I even apologies to be sure my intention couldn't be misunderstood.

I took the time to state an opinion and try to help the original poster in his quest for a better sound.

Did you ?

I think not.

Do you have something useful to say ?

I certainly hope so.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
No more ridiculous than thinking that you can just run your well thought out mix through some midrange preamp with a quirky sound, less than optimal frequency response and poor distortion specs and have it glue everything together in some magical way.

Great post

That makes two Elitist bul****ters

Who's next ?
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Call me humorless. Gear caste systems just seem pretty dorky to me. I own the 2-610 and was disappointed with it. Compared to a tastier pre, it's decidedly prosumer. While you were joking, I've read enough to know that people get pretty worked up about whether or not something is "pro" enough.

To original poster: If you have one, try it. It will take you about 30min to figure it out. It's not going to be something you'll do for every track, but maybe you'll like the color.

In my opinion, anything is worth running the 2 bus through.

Quote:
This is not.

This is a Joke, as I stated in this very thread, I even apologies to be sure my intention couldn't be misunderstood.

I took the time to state an opinion and try to help the original poster in his quest for a better sound.

Did you ?

I think not.

Do you have something useful to say ?

I certainly hope so.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Call me humorless.
I wouldn't dare

Quote:
Gear caste systems just seem pretty dorky to me.
Now what does this means ?

Quote:
I own the 2-610 and was disappointed with it.
I just had it for two days to realise it was a piece of ****. Do you try before you buy or do you simply read opinions on forums ?

Quote:
Compared to a tastier pre, it's decidedly prosumer.
SO you did put this gear in a category ?

Quote:
While you were joking, I've read enough to know that people get pretty worked up about whether or not something is "pro" enough.
I don't give a **** about that. I use 300$ stuff along with 5000$. I use my ears and my brain to judge if something is usable or simply worth the cash I would spend on it and for your info, I stripped about anything across the 2buss before internet even sarted to exist. So may I suggest you call "Bull****ter" someone you do know about next time you post here. That goes for "topics" as well.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

it's funny how a simple question can degenerate into an argument.
the best thing is that nobody's actually tried to run a mix through the ua 2-610!
the pro against amateur spiel makes me laugh, sleepwalker is right, their's so much bull**** going on in the audio world and the dinosaur type studio "elite" is hopefully on it's way to extinction. by the way when was the last time an innovative album has been recorded in an high end studio?
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Threads about Universal Audio gear ALWAYS degenerate into arguments at best, utter hostility at worst.
Don't ask me why and basically I don't care. I own both the 2108 and the 6176 and use them every day. I also own *****slutz-police' approved stuff like the Chandler TG-2, a great unit but the UA pres work better on some stuff FOR ME and that's the point of using different pres IMO.

Quote:
...and the dinosaur type studio "elite" is hopefully on it's way to extinction.
Unfortunately that's true!

Quote:
by the way when was the last time an innovative album has been recorded in an high end studio?
I don't know what your definition of 'innovative' is but yesterday I listened to Brue Sprinsteen's 'Devils + Dust', a FANTASTIC record and I wasn't even a big fan of Springsteen in the past. It's innovative because it's very personal and not a slave to technology.

Great production by Brendan O'Brien, amazing sound and to-the-point playing.
I'm sold.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

wow

what a thread . I thought Id say my piece on the 2610 . I liked it a lot
When i used it I used it on kick and snare and also overdubbed Vox .

I havent had much experience with high ends pres , but Ive used the manley vox box
and the trident s20 dual pre ( as well as the 2610 ) very extensively
and
heh also heh as heh a heh true heh slut heh

I have placed an orderer for another pre
but I was considering the 2610
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm just tired dealing with hobbyists calling me bull****ter. I just tried to explain to you something general about "heating" a mix and something precise about how the 2-610 sucks and why. I ran Overheads, bass, vocal, gtr in this thing, it was my last choice in every attempt. Now run a mix into it if you feel like it, I have enough experience to imagine why I wouldn't do such a thing given my experience with the craft and with this piece of crap.

Quote:
the best thing is that nobody's actually tried to run a mix through the ua 2-610!
So you know why I wouldn't even try. Now if you have done this, you should know if you like it or not. If you don't need insight from people whom actually have a clue, why are you posting such a question here.

Quote:
the pro against amateur spiel makes me laugh, sleepwalker is right, their's so much bull**** going on in the audio world and the dinosaur type studio "elite" is hopefully on it's way to extinction.
Again, why are you posting in a forum dedicated to and ran by dinosaurs you seem to disdain. This is the Hi End forum where insightful and seasoned AE and producer are nice enough to answer questions to you. And If you had a clue about the subject, you will realise that you still need dinosaur type studio to record and mix project that you apparently don't listen or ever heard of.

Quote:
by the way when was the last time an innovative album has been recorded in an high end studio?

Baikonour, you're a moron.

PS: some times ago, I think it was Loudist (whom btw knows about a hundred times more than 99 % posters here about recording) was kinda asking himself why giving his knowledge for free all over the internet to have kids recording in their living rooms calling him "elitist dinosaur on his way to instinction". I thought he was wrong to say that.

I might have been wrong after all
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

To the others : Sorry I had to vent a little

Now back to this elitist Steinway D with $15,000 of dinosaur mikes on it that will sound like a Roland MIDI piano after being converted to mp3

Sometimes I'm so depressed by my job
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm just tired dealing with hobbyists calling me bull****ter.
I'm not a hobbyist but i'm tempted to....no, not call you a bull****ter....but rather say that's it's extremely annoying getting these patronizing statements.

And while the original question might be a bit 'green' it's a mystery to me why it shouldn't be valid when so many 'experts' blindly follow say the 'summing bus' hype, which is BASICALLY about the same thing, no matter how much you love or loathe a specific piece of gear.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
I'm not a hobbyist but i'm tempted to....no, not call you a bull****ter....but rather say that's it's extremely annoying getting these patronizing statements.
well, live with it or not, I don't give a damn

1) I haven't started the argument, I was nice and helpful in the first time

2) Someone coming to the "hi end" forum and stating that he is glad "hi end" studios are disapearing is closer to trolling than I am

think about it
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Hehe, how do you know i'm a hobbyist? i'm releasing records internationaly by the way (but that doesn't matter), and i probably knows one or two things about music thankuverymuch (maybe not the same references as you though, I lurk) and what's wrong about hobbyist anyway? if you are so busy recording **** and tired to deal with bedroom type enthusiasts, you can go back to your air conditioned studio and jerk off over your collection of gear. oh and i hate steinways by the way. they sound like **** and they are played by dinosaur type musicians with too much money and a bad taste for hair inplants. No surprise you are tired of your job. i'm not a big fan of S. Albini but he wrote a few good things about the music recording biz and its aura of bull****.
i've posted my original question here believing i could get some opinions from enthusiasts, not some half ******** babble from a bitter dino on his way to rigor mortis.

ok i'm off looking for great records made by enthousiasts in the last 40 years.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hehe, how do you know i'm a hobbyist? i'm releasing records internationaly by the way (but that doesn't matter), and i probably knows one or two things about music thankuverymuch (maybe not the same references as you though, I lurk) and what's wrong about hobbyist anyway?

Did you learn to read ?

I have a lot of respect for people making music as a hobby. Sometimes, believe me, I wish it was my case. I don't like them having no respect for the people that are doing this for a living and that are kind enough to help them on music forums such as this one.

I know you have a taste for distortion on the 2buss, but please, don't distort my words.

Quote:
if you are so busy recording **** and tired to deal with bedroom type enthusiasts, you can go back to your air conditioned studio and jerk off over your collection of gear.
I'm not recording ****, I'm in a position where I don't have to record crap. I mix record recorded in bedrooms as well, go figure. That's what I love in my craft : I'm able to work in hi end studio, and with small budget as well. I'm more open minded than you think. And btw, I love my job. I'm sad to see it destroyed by idiots in record companies or everywhere in this music business.

Quote:
oh and i hate steinways by the way. they sound like **** and they are played by dinosaur type musicians with too much money and a bad taste for hair inplants.
That say it all about your experience with pianos. I won't have time to explain why you are wrong, it's a waste of time. But I think you don't look that bright now, imho.

Quote:
No surprise you are tired of your job. i'm not a big fan of S. Albini but he wrote a few good things about the music recording biz and its aura of bull****.
i've posted my original question here believing i could get some opinions from enthusiasts, not some half ******** babble from a bitter dino on his way to rigor mortis.
I'm making quite a good year now. With gold and platinum on my wall. I have a lot of respect for Steve Albini, I'm not sure you fully understand where we both comming from.

and btw, Steinway is not my favorite piano on every occasions, and I like "D" with large orchestra or in solo. But I wouldn't dare to say they suck like you just did. Just for you not to look like an arse next time you say something about them.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Just another thread brought to waste...
Brings it to the level of beerslutz.com...
I'm outa here

(Remember) The Alamo
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

can someone close this thread please !!

come on, how old are you ??? you behave like 10 year old boys...this is an i-net forum!
things you type may sound different from the same thing been said to you in real-life.

it´s a slightly stripped down type of communication really....so cool down

GET OF YOUR COMPUTER AND GO MAKE SOME GOOD MUSIC, PLEASE!

and btw. to close that discussion, as I said earlier, I used the 2-610, I like some off the UA stuff very much....and I (myself) would not try to use the 2-610 on the sum-bus, cause I !!! would say it does too much harm to your mix. period.

there are a million ways.....HEDD,fatso,etc. ....hell maybe leave it to a pro mastering
guy with a really dope monitoring setup....

just my cooled down 2 cts.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude
can someone close this thread please !!

come on, how old are you ??? you behave like 10 year old boys...this is an i-net forum!
things you type may sound different from the same thing been said to you in real-life.

it´s a slightly stripped down type of communication really....so cool down

GET OF YOUR COMPUTER AND GO MAKE SOME GOOD MUSIC, PLEASE!

and btw. to close that discussion, as I said earlier, I used the 2-610, I like some off the UA stuff very much....and I (myself) would not try to use the 2-610 on the sum-bus, cause I !!! would say it does too much harm to your mix. period.

there are a million ways.....HEDD,fatso,etc. ....hell maybe leave it to a pro mastering
guy with a really dope monitoring setup....

just my cooled down 2 cts.

You are right, on so many levels

my bad, I overheated a little

thank you for the reminder

apologies to baikonour and dorknocker and everyone

I'm done with the rant

peace
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

This thread was a great fun.
appologies accepted, thanks dad!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search