The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bock 151 vs Bock 251 vs Soundelux 251? Condenser Microphones
Old 10th January 2009

Bock 151 vs Bock 251 vs Soundelux 251?

I know these threads get old but... I may be in the market for a 251 style mic for a record and looking at these 3 as options.

Need it for pop/country/rock female vocals.

???
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Hi James

Aren't you the king of the shoot out parties.
Seems it's time for one of your mic get togethers.

I wish someone would do the same thing here in the London.

Best
TMY
Old 10th January 2009

Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I know these threads get old but... I may be in the market for a 251 style mic for a record and looking at these 3 as options.

Need it for pop/country/rock female vocals.

???
Hey James! Let me know if you bring in one of the Bock/Soundelux mics to demo. I've been on the fence for a while about picking up a 251. So, I'm interested in hearing how the 251 and my BLUE Bottle w/B0 capsule sound in a side-by-side comparison.

-G
Old 10th January 2009
Gear Nut

The Soundelux 251 & Bock 251 are the same mic rebadged. David Bock built the Soundelux before changing to Bock. Fantastic microphone. You will be pleased.

I've had no experience with the 151 but i believe it is a cardiod only version of the 251.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
Hey James! Let me know if you bring in one of the Bock/Soundelux mics to demo. I've been on the fence for a while about picking up a 251. So, I'm interested in hearing how the 251 and my BLUE Bottle w/B0 capsule sound in a side-by-side comparison.

-G
call me man

I've had a Soundelux 251C here all day and shot it out with 3 different girls against my 87 and 67, it won every shootout. The 67 was close on a couple the 87 wasn't right. That's a badass mic.

Old 11th January 2009
Lives for gear

James, you realize that every single one of those pop screens has a different sound. BTW, you should never use pop filters on tests. Too much effect on the sound.
Old 11th January 2009

I never though of that JJ, I will stop from now on. Thanks man.
Old 11th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
James, you realize that every single one of those pop screens has a different sound. BTW, you should never use pop filters on tests. Too much effect on the sound.
Holy s**t they do sound different. 2 sound the same but one is way different.
Old 11th January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunetown View Post
The Soundelux 251 & Bock 251 are the same mic rebadged. David Bock built the Soundelux before changing to Bock. Fantastic microphone. You will be pleased.

I've had no experience with the 151 but i believe it is a cardiod only version of the 251
I was referring to the ELUX 251 and not the 251C although I recon anything David Bock does would be great.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
call me man

I've had a Soundelux 251C here all day and shot it out with 3 different girls against my 87 and 67, it won every shootout. The 67 was close on a couple the 87 wasn't right. That's a badass mic.

]
Holy cow! That was quick getting a hold of that mic! I'll give you a ring shortly. Hopefully you'll be tracking tomorrow or Monday too.
Old 11th January 2009
Lives for gear

James, I am glad you dig the 251c. Just as a side note, its the first Mic I have used on baritone singers without it getting mushy on the low notes and making me reach for an EQ.

I own primarily darker pres (GR, Pacifica, Neve) but really like the 251 paired with the Milennia for a clean modern vibe. I am sure the tube tech comp on the back end is awesome.
Old 11th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy View Post
James, I am glad you dig the 251c. Just as a side note, its the first Mic I have used on baritone singers without it getting mushy on the low notes and making me reach for an EQ.

I own primarily darker pres (GR, Pacifica, Neve) but really like the 251 paired with the Milennia for a clean modern vibe. I am sure the tube tech comp on the back end is awesome.
I'm starting my 4th session of the day, I'm gonna try it on the guy. It's a tune for the Presidential Inauguration next week.
Old 12th January 2009
Lives for gear

I own a 151 as of about a month ago. I've tried Peluso 2247LE, Pearlman TM-1, Wunder CM7-GT, AT4050, AT4060, AT4047, Mojave MA-200, Tele AK47 and M16, and more.

The 151, in my humble opinion is one really dang sweet mic. It has that wonderful thick midrange, awesome low end, and amazing, buttery smooth highs. It is not scooped, it is not flat - it's some kind of crazy everything that right now is blowin' me away...

It has a very strong, stable image that sits really well even in a dense mix.

I expect that we will hear more and more positive things about this mic...
Old 12th January 2009
Lives for gear

James!

You would't be able to share a clip or two from this latest shootout? The mics you shot the Soundelux out against are quite different beasts, but still well known beasts...

I had a 22 251 for a while, but it did not have the resolution of my Ref C, so I let it go. I did like the freuency respone it had, though... Been wanting o try a Soundelux/Bock, but there are none around...

Cheers,
Old 12th January 2009
Gear Addict

By way of clarification of all the numbers being thrown around:

Soundelux Elux251 = Bock 251
Soundelux E251C = Bock 151

The only changes were the model numbers and the building they are being put together in.
Old 14th January 2009

Hey Todd, going to NAMM?

Well I have not stopped using this Soundelux E251c. I absolutely love it for male and female vocals. It just sounds right, real yet exciting. Deep without being over the top. I've been working with this girl kind of like Paramore and the other day I was burning her some roughs to go home with I just cut a hair of lows, boosted a hair of highs, hit it with very moderate compression and a little verb and 1/8th delay and it sounded like a record. I mean it took me 2 minutes and the vocal was in the tracking and we were smiling.

Awesome mic!!!

J
Old 14th January 2009
Gear Addict

Kind of off topic but, James, what color is the 251c you have there? It looks pretty much white (looks good). I can't help but find the pale green color of the images of the Bock 151/251 and the older Soundelux versions somewhat un-inspiring. Just wondering what it really looks like in person.
Old 14th January 2009
James so are you using the 251 in cardiod?

and how it sounds compared to the 151? it is really the same?
Old 14th January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
James so are you using the 251 in cardiod?

and how it sounds compared to the 151? it is really the same?

I believe he's using a 251c, which is a cardiod only, and the same as the BOCK 151.

If you don't mind me asking JAMES, how is the top end of your 251c compared to your 87+67?
Old 14th January 2009
Oh! cool....actually I want to know that too..and yes I guess the 251C its the cardiod only
Old 14th January 2009

I have a E251c which is cardiod only and the same as the Bock 151. The top is beautiful, prettier then my 67 in a certain way. Sounds like pop vocal magic. Beautiful. I suck at describing sound in words.

The mic is kind of a creamy off white color. Really cool looking mic, solid and heavy.
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a E251c which is cardiod only and the same as the Bock 151. The top is beautiful, prettier then my 67 in a certain way. Sounds like pop vocal magic. Beautiful. I suck at describing sound in words.

The mic is kind of a creamy off white color. Really cool looking mic, solid and heavy.
Hey James are you tracking with the LA-3a in the chain? I remember when you bought your LA-2a a couple of years ago.
Old 14th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Hey James are you tracking with the LA-3a in the chain? I remember when you bought your LA-2a a couple of years ago.
I switched to the La3a - CL1B scene. Time for a change.
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

I have an Elux 251 and its amazing ! from Rock to pop, it has that magic sparkle(Going through a quartet II doesn't hurt ...).
Old 14th January 2009
Gear Nut

JAMES, are you using it with the switch in brite mode, or in norm?
Old 14th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfightstudio View Post
JAMES, are you using it with the switch in brite mode, or in norm?
Both
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

Man , you see? Now I'll have to add that mic to my wish list!!!
Old 14th January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I guess he never heard about my pop filter shootout.

(I seriously did one. Just haven't posted the files yet. And yes, it makes a much bigger difference than the cables you use.)
Old 14th January 2009
Quote:
Well I have not stopped using this Soundelux E251c. I absolutely love it for male and female vocals. It just sounds right, real yet exciting. Deep without being over the top. I've been working with this girl kind of like Paramore and the other day I was burning her some roughs to go home with I just cut a hair of lows, boosted a hair of highs, hit it with very moderate compression and a little verb and 1/8th delay and it sounded like a record. I mean it took me 2 minutes and the vocal was in the tracking and we were smiling.

Awesome mic!!!
James,

Welcome to the "Soundelux/Bock 251s are Amazing Mics" club.

I did a record about two years back with a deep chesty female vocalist. We cut all her vocals through my silver ELUX 251 to a Buzz MA2.2 with a hint of compression on a CL-1B. Tried adding a little EQ with my Pultec but pulled it off as it didn't need anything.

When it came time to mix, I added some very slight de-essing and some fader riding for dynamics control. Apart from that, it was on the record just as it sounded when we tracked it.

Divine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search