The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bret Averill with 1122 OP amp
Old 18th June 2005
Bret Averill with 1122 OP amp

I will have the opportunity to have this unit in my studio for about one month. The problem is I don't want to part with it just by having it for two days (so far). My initial observations comparing it with the Langevin and Protico are as follows.

Adverill pre: Very clean, very nice top end, netural sounding and touch of smoothness to it. (Jenson amp). Smoother than the Langevin . A great all around pre. Very nice pre that adds a gentle smoothness to any signal without adding too much color. Great customer support btw, I talked to the guys for 15 min. about the pre and how they came up with it. I was told it is basically the same design as the original API with some updated parts that give better noise floor, etc.

Langevin: Lacked the top end that the Adverill has. This pre has a little more low end though. Not as smooth as the Adverill. In adding the Langevin EQ of 12K by 2 db, it helped the top end get back some of that nice top end.

Portico: Fuller and bigger sound compared to the other pre's.

Has anyone compared the Averill with a real API?
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear
My discussions with Avedis at Averill

Hi,
From what I understand, the pres are pretty much the same. Probably the biggest difference is in the transformer. The op-amp was designed around Avedis's favorites: the 2520 Farmindale and Huntington op-amps. This is what I was told. I have no hard electronics background to back it up.

I can tell you, Averill fixed up a pair of API 550 eq's for me and made a few very pleasent improvements in noise grounding to the unit. It is much better.

I think they make a great product and the service is fantastic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search