The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording deathmetal guitars.. approach? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th January 2009
Well!

I am flirting big time with a funky little old fender sealed 4 X 10 cab power soaked via a motherload.
Its got well run in Celestion BG 10-80's in it and sounds very tight and bright, the 1960 marshall four by twelves can stay well out of it till I am bored with this for down-tune
metal ****.
Mics are 2 Beta 57's Just on the edge of the voice coil caps an inch or so from the cone
and perhaps an old Ribbon mic Steven Sank built for me its very like a royer R121 but with a very light DX 77 type ribbon. Might take the out of the motherload as well via a little labs phase tool for some ultra bite. then it all meets a Neve 33609jd and an old Vortexion tube line amp . Same basic circuit as the Redd tube console buss amps in fact a lot like a V72 but with nice VU meters, big old Sowter line transformers and funky chicken head knobs mate.
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveotero View Post
I've toyed with the i5 in the past and really liked it for a while, but I always seam to come back to the 57. Usually right on the grill cloth of a Mesa Recto or Traditional 4x12 aimed around the edge of the dust cap. Sometimes I'll toss an AE3000 condenser in there as well on the same speaker and mix it in low.

Sounds like this.

Nice to see you on here. The Cephalic Carnage albums (Esp. "Anomalies") are my favorite sounding death metal recordings. Great work.

What amps do use for their guitars in the studio? What amps/effects did you and Jawsh use to get those huge distorted bass sounds?

Also, are the drums a blend of samples and the actual drums, or just the triggered sounds?

Must be a lot of fun recording those guys. They're such incredible players.

Digging that Enemy Reign stuff too.
Old 1st February 2009
Here for the gear

So I'm getting my first Brit Mod Distressor this week and not a moment too soon. I have to track metal guitar for the next few months.

Any suggested reading or settings for my new magic box?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
for the brutalstuff, what is your favourite micing-technique (favourite mics)?

I usually use an i5 + condensor (small or large) close (same speaker) and a distant-microphone (sometimes).

marshall, laboga-4x12" or 2x12"..

cheers
A ****ty dynamic aimed at a small ****ty tube amp for "The return...", and a small ****ty dynamic aimed at a small ****ty solidstate amp for "Under the sign...". Crank and EQ until it cut the ears of the listener.

Oh wait, you were talking death metal? I don't know
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Nut

Here are the main guitar chains for the band Filter (maybe not deathmetal, but metal):

Filter's "Short Bus" record:

PRS into Marshall Valvestate (i forget which model, but it was a combo with 2 12's builtin) powering a Marshall 4x12 in the basement. Mic'd with a Shure Beta58 into a Fostex 12 channel mixer (not kidding) as the mic preamp. The mic was as close as possible to the cone, just off-center. A Les Paul was also used, for some leads. Same set-up.

Bass was usually a G&L through a Sans Amp pedal.

Filter's "Title of Record" record:

Fender Strat into a Marshall Valvestate into a Neve 1081.

I don't remember the bass signal chain-- probably direct into the 1081s.
Old 2nd February 2009
so you did Filter`?
Old 20th February 2009
ok.. I did it.. with a melodic deathmetal band.

will post samples when finished.

chain was

1x ENGL Powerball into tubescreamer into 4x12 V30.
1x Laboga Hector into tubescreamer into 4x12 V30.

other guitar was
1x ENGL Powerball into tubescreamer into 4x12 V30
1x Marshall JCM900 (modified, other tubes, hotter preamp, sendreturn fix) tubescreamer, 4x12...

microphones: 1x 57, 1x 414 both close..

will post samples sooon

quite happy so far with the result. I have not enough hi-freqs.. I am not talking about the nasty presence knob on the amp or the hi-knob on the amplifier. it's more of that 6khz boost and 2khz boost I do when mixing live. I made it know with a plugin.

are you guys tracking with full channelstrips and boosting with the hardware EQ? or is it coming directly out of the amp/box/guitar?

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search