The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Attack Setting on SSL 384/Smart C1/etc
Old 16th June 2005
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Attack Setting on SSL 384/Smart C1/etc

been playing around with an SSL 384 on the mix. I was told the "go to setting" on this box is 2 or 4:1, attack at 1 (two clicks from left) and release on auto. This at first seemed like pretty fast to me because I usually use really slow attack and fast release on two buss comp but for some reason on the SSL, when you hit the 1, it adds more of a "smack" with the drum transients.. I'm figuring out now if I like that or not... But I was wondering how you set the thing. Also I was warned to not be afraid of 4:1 and I agree that the 4:1 setting on the mix just sounded better then the 2:1 on almost every attack setting on every mix I threw in it. Thanks for your comments.
Old 16th June 2005
  #2
Gear Nut
 

The starting point on my C2 is slowest attack (30) and fastest release (.1), 3:1 and 2 to 4 db compression. Tweak to taste depending on the material.

Nic
Old 16th June 2005
  #3
Twist the knobs around untill it suits the LOUDEST part of the track... then perhaps back it off a little
Old 16th June 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
audioez's Avatar
 

use a fader to feed the comp, you'll thank me later!!!
Old 17th June 2005
  #5
Gear Nut
 

I started a post on Randy Staub in another forum.. I know he's an SSL guy and I assume he uses the mix comp.. anyone know what his settings are or any of the other big rock guys? He has such a great smack on his mixes. The slower attack on the SSL doesn't deliver the pop like the slightly faster ones do, mainly the "1" setting.
Old 17th June 2005
  #6
I like and probably only use the slowest setting.
Old 17th June 2005
  #7
Lives for gear
 

slowest or next-to slowest for me.
Old 17th June 2005
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Thrill, junior, auto release though right??? I found it loses a lot of transparency as soon as its taken off auto release.
Old 17th June 2005
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog
Thrill, junior, auto release though right??? I found it loses a lot of transparency as soon as its taken off auto release.
For mixbuss work 99% its auto release.
Old 17th June 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Funny, I rarely use auto release. Usually around .6 but depends on the tempo and low end content.
Old 17th June 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

i have a 4056 g console....LOVE the quad bus comp....modern rock stuff is almost always attack at 1....auto release....squash to taste...i like to bypass the master fader and patch the quad comp after the st out of the ssl...that way i can hit the master bus as hard as i want to get some heat...and then hit the quad comp before hitting tape.....it works for me..

i also have a trident...and would love to get an external ssl quad comp for it...i prefer the trident overall for eq's and the sound....but that bus comp is the ssl sound to me.

i agree that i can actually get MORE smack out of the drums with those settings...but i am MIXING WITH IT ON THE WHOLE TIME !!!

cheers,
j
Old 17th June 2005
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499
i like to bypass the master fader and patch the quad comp after the st out of the ssl...that way i can hit the master bus as hard as i want to get some heat...and then hit the quad comp before hitting tape.....it works for me..
j
if you bypass the MF and use the quad comp as stereo bus compressor, how do you attenuate your signal going to tape if it's too hot? Or do you have a mod on the compressor's output gain?
Old 18th June 2005
  #13
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

Or do you have a mod on the compressor's output gain...


you got it...(please dont ask about it...my head might explode !!! I am NOT a tech guy...just turn it until it sounds right!!!) we had the tech who commissioned it do this mod...just have an output knob that does the trick...also really helps when using the quad on an insert for drum buss compression duty...on our board...(we still have a E center section....bypassing the master fader is a HUGE difference in the sound..

he (keith the tech) told us about a mod to patch into the listen mic also (ala hugh padgam)...did not do that however....curious if anyone else here has...

cheers,
j
Old 18th June 2005
  #14
I tend to use the faster attack settings, they sound more record like to me. I mix with the thing on from the begining. I usually use the auto release.
Old 18th June 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit
Funny, I rarely use auto release. Usually around .6 but depends on the tempo and low end content.
same here...

John
Old 18th June 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 

i guess i'm the only one who likes 10:1 ( 1 for attack and .6 for release -sometimes auto). i'm usually just moving the meter, maybe 2, 3 db tops. always more punchy for me. i like to add a few db on the output knob as well.
great mix box
Old 18th June 2005
  #17
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
For mixbuss work 99% its auto release.
For me it's 10 or 30 (two longest) Attack most of the time.

with shorter attack times it can get a bit bass-light occasionally.

what's your 'go' ratio Thrill?
Old 19th June 2005
  #18
Lives for gear
 

I'm usually at 10:1(just sounds more open), attack at 1 or the slowest setting depending on the song, release on auto, barely moving the meter at all.
Sean
Old 19th June 2005
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
what's your 'go' ratio Thrill?
2:1 or 4:1 most of the time.

10:1 on a rare occasion.
Old 19th June 2005
  #20
Lives for gear
 
espasonico's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499
i like to bypass the master fader and patch the quad comp after the st out of the sslj
How do you do that ?
Old 19th June 2005
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Keep the settings coming guys. Its very interesting to see what everybody else uses on such a aggressive compressor. Even with it being so dependant on source etc...
Old 19th June 2005
  #22
Lives for gear
 
norman_nomad's Avatar
On the master buss I generally use slower attack times and auto release. Ratio = 2:1, and sometimes 4:1. It's good to keep in mind that the compressor's knee gets sharper with higher ratio's. A little SSL goes a long way!
Old 19th June 2005
  #23
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499
i have a 4056 g console....LOVE the quad bus comp....modern rock stuff is almost always attack at 1....auto release....squash to taste...i like to bypass the master fader and patch the quad comp after the st out of the ssl...that way i can hit the master bus as hard as i want to get some heat...and then hit the quad comp before hitting tape.....it works for me..

j

How do you seperate the quad comp from the master fader??

In the G desk that I use they are one unit, because the masterfader uses of course the same VCA.

Or did you mean you use a group as new master fader to hit the quad comp?

I still don't get what the difference is, because the group would be first anyway and I can hit the comp as hard as I want. Please enlighten me!
Old 19th June 2005
  #24
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499
he (keith the tech) told us about a mod to patch into the listen mic also (ala hugh padgam)...did not do that however....curious if anyone else here has...

cheers,
j
Or buy a Ridge Farm Boiler as I have done. It's a listen mic/talkbalk compressor in a 19" rack, at least that's what they say.
Attached Thumbnails
Attack Setting on SSL 384/Smart C1/etc-boiler_2016_1176.jpg  
Old 19th June 2005
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
How do you seperate the quad comp from the master fader??

In the G desk that I use they are one unit, because the masterfader uses of course the same VCA.

Or did you mean you use a group as new master fader to hit the quad comp?

I still don't get what the difference is, because the group would be first anyway and I can hit the comp as hard as I want. Please enlighten me!
You can do it on the patchbay or you can mod it.

If on the patchbay go in thru the side chain.

Or you can modifiy the comp and patchbay(a very easy mod).
Old 19th June 2005
  #26
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
You can do it on the patchbay or you can mod it.

If on the patchbay go in thru the side chain.

Or you can modifiy the comp and patchbay(a very easy mod).
On my patchbay there is no sidechain for the compressor. I'm talking about a G desk.

I have a Pre and Post VCA insert. that's about it. That way I bypass Quad Comp & Masterfader.

I still don't understand how you can seperate the Masterfader from the Quad Comp. Don't they share the same VCA?
Old 19th June 2005
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
On my patchbay there is no sidechain for the compressor. I'm talking about a G desk.

I have a Pre and Post VCA insert. that's about it. That way I bypass Quad Comp & Masterfader.

They all have side chains.

Its one of the tricks you can use on SSL's to go into the comp without going through the mixbuss.

Lets say you want to use the Quad comp on your drumsub and a different comp on the mixbuss(which i do all the time).


Feed(or patch) a drumsub group into the side chain of the Buss comp and return it on 2 channels.

Use the pre VCA insert send to feed the seperate mixbuss comp.

Send the output of the mixbuss comp straight to tape or to a super outboard fader(me) and then feed the tape(or Masterlink).

Voila mix is done. heh
Old 19th June 2005
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
I tend to use the faster attack settings, they sound more record like to me. I mix with the thing on from the begining. I usually use the auto release.

Are you doing Dance music only ?

This is a very strange way to use this comp on two buss
Old 19th June 2005
  #29
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
They all have side chains.

Its one of the tricks you can use on SSL's to go into the comp without going through the mixbuss.

Lets say you want to use the Quad comp on your drumsub and a different comp on the mixbuss(which i do all the time).


Feed(or patch) a drumsub group into the side chain of the Buss comp and return it on 2 channels.

Use the pre VCA insert send to feed the seperate mixbuss comp.

Send the output of the mixbuss comp straight to tape or to a super outboard fader(me) and then feed the tape(or Masterlink).

Voila mix is done. heh
I still don't get it. There is no sidechain on my PB. Look at the picture.

To do what you want to do I go with the Drumsub into the pre VCA ins return and bring the post VCA ins send up on two channels.

Whereas for the mixbuss I go from pre VCA send into the comp of my choice and from there back into post VCA return.

I still don't get how mixman499 said before can you split the masterfader from the quad compressor. When I put the quad comp onto my drum sub I also have the masterfader there since it feeds the same VCA.

Can you answer that thrill?
Attached Thumbnails
Attack Setting on SSL 384/Smart C1/etc-p6190856.jpg  
Old 19th June 2005
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
I still don't get it. There is no sidechain on my PB. Look at the picture.

To do what you want to do I go with the Drumsub into the pre VCA ins return and bring the post VCA ins send up on two channels.

Whereas for the mixbuss I go from pre VCA send into the comp of my choice and from there back into post VCA return.

I still don't get how mixman499 said before can you split the masterfader from the quad compressor. When I put the quad comp onto my drum sub I also have the masterfader there since it feeds the same VCA.

Can you answer that thrill?

Hi,

First of all your patch bay looks as messy as mine. heh

I don't have the schematic in front of me but there are 2 patch points that are dedicated for the side chain.

On my patchbay(which the labeling has worn off after constant abuse)i marked with a piece of tape.

Mixman 499 has a modded SSL obviously.

He probably has patchpoints directly to the patchbay for the inputs and outputs of the quad comp bypassing the master fader altogether.

This is a common mod.

You can purchase an outboard fader if you like.

I have a very transparent outboard fader as well.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump