The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Attack Setting on SSL 384/Smart C1/etc
Old 19th June 2005
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Hi,

First of all your patch bay looks as messy as mine. heh

I don't have the schematic in front of me but there are 2 patch points that are dedicated for the side chain.

On my patchbay(which the labeling has worn off after constant abuse)i marked with a piece of tape.

Mixman 499 has a modded SSL obviously.

He probably has patchpoints directly to the patchbay for the inputs and outputs of the quad comp bypassing the master fader altogether.

This is a common mod.

You can purchase an outboard fader if you like.

I have a very transparent outboard fader as well.
Hi Thrill,

Hmmm. I can't find it. I enclosed a PDF file of my patchbay. Tell me where it is!?

What benefit has it to get rid of the masterfader with a mod? Is it not just a automated & reversed Gain MakeUp for the compressor. At least that's what I always thought.

When you say outboard fader what do you mean? Is it still automated or really out of the board?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4000G+_Patch_L-U.pdf (24.8 KB, 211 views)
Old 19th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
Hi Thrill,

When you say outboard fader what do you mean? Is it still automated or really out of the board?

Alas right now it isn't.

Yeah i just do the master fader rides old school style by hand more like a performance.

Always sounds better that way.

But for god sakes do not ask me to do it again.
Old 19th June 2005
Quote:
Hi Thrill,

Hmmm. I can't find it. I enclosed a PDF file of my patchbay. Tell me where it is!?

Post VCA insert.
Old 19th June 2005
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Post VCA insert.
I give up. I don't get it in this life.

I don't know why you call the Post VCA insert 'sidechain'.

For me that's just an insert after the Quad comp & masterfader. Why sidechain??

I give up!

You winding me up? tutt
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

I give up!

You winding me up? tutt
BUFF!! I´m glad I´m not the only one. Maybe we are not talking about the same desk?
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:

I give up!

You winding me up? tutt
Sorry dude.

You are right i was thinking of the 6000(which is what is use).

To access the comp/side chain on the 4000 its patch into the pre VCA insert return and out of the post VCA send..

I haven't looked at the service manual for the 4000 in a while but i am pretty sure this it.

Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

sometimes when i find the 384 sucking out the bass, i use the sidechain and filter out the bottom. seems more effective than using auto release. although i'm wondering if that might be because i tend to use 10:1. i didn't know that the slope gets steeper at higher ratios. thanks.
david
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk
Are you doing Dance music only ?

This is a very strange way to use this comp on two buss
Says who? My usual starting attack setting is 1. I dont hit it that hard and I start the mix with it in, so I'm hearing whats happening as I mix. The thing I tend to fool with is the attack settings more than anything else. Usually I leave the ratio at 2:1. Lately I do alot of retro stuff, some rock , some r&b usually real instruments hardly anything sampled. I also do a fair amount of jazz. I have done dance stuff in the past but for me at least that scene dried up a few years ago.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
Says who? My usual starting attack setting is 1. I dont hit it that hard and I start the mix with it in, so I'm hearing whats happening as I mix. The thing I tend to fool with is the attack settings more than anything else. Usually I leave the ratio at 2:1. Lately I do alot of retro stuff, some rock , some r&b usually real instruments hardly anything sampled. I also do a fair amount of jazz. I have done dance stuff in the past but for me at least that scene dried up a few years ago.

I really find that this comp is "grabing" too much with fastest attack rates.

I'm not saying you can't mix with it, but my experience showed me that I had to constantly "deal" with the comp doing so. Slower attacks give me needed glue without forcing me to constantly ask myself if I was not messing with usual compressing artifacts.

That allowed me to focus on more important things in the mixing process

Don't know if I'm making myself clear though.

No pun intended
Old 22nd June 2005
If I was mixing more dance music or hip hop I think you can go with slower settings since there are less transients. If you have more real instruments there will be more transients uinless you are really smashing the individual tracks. I dont really hit anything very hard individually unless I'm going for something. I also dont hit the ssl compressor that hard, so I find I can get all the glue without worrying about compressing the life out of the track. Usually before I start doing passes I screw around with the attack one last time to see what works best.
It's whatever works for you.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

I just bought a used grey-faced G384 and am very impressed in general. I generally have been starting with slower attack and faster release, mostly 2:1, sometimes 4:1. Sometimes auto-release, but so far I've only tested by strapping it across something I've already mixed. I'm sure the results would be very different mixing into it.

It seems to have a nice, low-mid, focused crunchy punch when the comp is only dropping a couple of db off the meter.

- proxy
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Thrill,
Interesting...
What fader do you use ?
What brand ? SSL ?

ThanKs

Phil
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

sorry .... i missed the next page
Old 3rd February 2006
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=mixman499]i have a 4056 g console....LOVE the quad bus comp....modern rock stuff is almost always attack at 1....auto release....squash to taste...i like to bypass the master fader and patch the quad comp after the st out of the ssl...that way i can hit the master bus as hard as i want to get some heat...and then hit the quad comp before hitting tape.....it works for me..

But isn't the MF's VCA connected directly to the Quad Comp? So patching into the Quad isn't really bypassing the MF.....and according to Gearge H. for SSL in LA there is NO way to separate the MF from the Quad Comp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search