The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland R-880 users, please! Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Roland R-880 users, please!

Hi,

Received a mint R-880 (with remote and the most desired cards ) today and find myself with more questions than expected before even plugged in.

1. The unit seems factory set on pin 2 cold like standard back then.
Is there an internal option to switch or did you have to solder twisted cables?

2. Me usually works at 96k.
The units convertors are suppoed to be not that bad I hear, but I don´t want to go down to 48 / 16 bit.
Those among you who conduct 96 or 88.2 sessions, how do you do it?

3. The R-880 has midi, so what about sys-ex dump to your computer? Is there a way to do it?
( - I suppose there exists no PC card reader either for these memory cards, does it?)

4. My box came with a thin AC cable. Is that what it´s supposed to come with?

5. I would like to merge the two outs per channel before my outboard convertor. Would there be signal quality loss if going through a quality patchbay for that? ( Or would it require an active circuit by all means for summing two signals?)

Thanks a bunch, hope these questions could be interesting to other R-880 users too.

Ruphus
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

1. I've had mine open....I don't remember seing any jumpers for changing what pin is hot. Hell, there's not even a way to change the operating voltage (115-vs 230V). Best thing to do is wire up a custom pig tail to convert it to pin 2 hot, or just wire it up to patchbay with pin 3 going to the tip, and pin 2 to the ring.

2. Forget about the digital I/O....use the analogs. They sound quite good. No sample rate conversion issues to worry about there.

3. My R-880 came with a pretty extensinve midi implementation chart....maybe some program like Logic Soundbank can dump and save the data. Not sure here....if you find a way though, I'm sure many users would be interested. I halfway though about writing a plug-in for PC that would let me use my PC to control the R-880 instead of the GC-8 (not a bad remote, but kinda slow and a little awkward).

4. Mine takes standard IEC detachable power cords...if you think it looks wimpy, sub it for another one. Mine's a typical one like you'd see attached to a computer (cuz that's probably where I was using it before).

5. Sum the outputs though a resistor network (the right values depends on the input impedance of your converter and the output impedance of the 880)...it should work okay. You'll get a little drop in level, but nothing too bad.

Enjoy your 880....

Cheers,

Kris
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Kris,

Thanks a bunch!
Good news about its convertors being still good enough, seemed too troublesome to go the other way.

And thanks, can´t wait to hear how it sounds!

Shall be making sure tomorrow and see if its still wired originally and follow your advice.

I checked an old PSU that I have lying around, but its cable is conventional and wouldn´t fit. Anyway, for now.

I´ve never been too Midi smart and in English it won´t become easier, but when the German papers have arrived I will check if I can grasp enough to see if a dump is possible. If I find a way I will certainly inform you.
( I heard one could easily delete presets by accident, same in case when batteries went down on a card, so sysex couldn´t be bad. And ideally I´d love to store settings to session, but that´s likely asked too much.)

If you are interested PM me about the cards you have. Should I have what you might want I could swap it on a card for you.

Best,

Ruphus
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
If you need to, get a cheap line mixer.

It has two inputs and four outputs and you need to use them all. Especially for some of the programs. This is true stereo unlike the quasi-stereo of a lot of processors.
Hi SoundsGreat,

All four relevant for stereo? I was planning to avoid additional tracks in the DAW if all possible keeping it 2 tracks max, but if all four outputs were individually calculated stereo wise ... I shouldn´t.

Is it that what you are saying? All four being stereo relevant?

Thanks,

Ruphus
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Sounds interesting.
Man, got to set it up!! heh

Besides, SoundsGreat, same offer to you concerning presets. :O)

Greets,

Ruphus
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Roland could have had combined stereo outputs for the two engines but for some reason they didn't do this. .
Maybe they were thinking a six thousand bucks mashine back then had to have 4 ends out to look fat, you know like bigger BMWs have or something.

Quote:
You could probably use one of those crude old teac passive mixers (switch left/center/right) for this. It can take four inputs and turn it into two outputs.
I´m thankful for any good idea!
Wouldn´t want to lose a bit of sonics. Should an old teac be a trustful box in regards of sonic preservation?

Ruphus
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

You need to check the algorithm setups to deptermine if both sets of stereo outs are in use. For some algo setups they are just duplicates of the main stereo pair, for others, they are something entirely different.

I'm pretty sure Roland set it up as a 2 in 4 out box so you could take two mono inputs and get 2 completely independant stereo outputs from them. Good idea in theory, but the R880 sounds so much better when you combine the algos. You can create some very interesting programs with that box. If you've ever seen a TC FireworX or G-Force, you can see how the 880 was sort of like it's predecessor (in terms of algorithm/signal routing).

I wish I had more cards for the 880...right now, all I have is EnsnareYou's emulations of the Quantec, RMX, and EMT. It's good, but I'd like the Nichols and GML card....

Cheers,

Kris
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Kris,

I have the GM, the Lee Quintana and the M480L card.
I heard the R-880 cards could be found on ebay for around 50 Euros. If you can find some ( make sure to renew their batteries though ) I´ll be glad to load them for you.
However I suppose Thrill has them too and you would have much lesser shipping costs within USA ( especially for the Europe to USA direction they really rip you off in fees ).

Hi Thrill,

The person I have the box from said you can transfer from the cards to the onboard memory, pull the card, put the empty one in and load it with the onboard contents. That´s how he did for me ( he has still another Roland.)
If you want I can ask him to describe the procedure. He is a nice guy and will be glad to help.

BTW, I send you a PM days ago concerning this box.

Ruphus
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

If you have a memory card, it's easy...(refers to manual) Func3 to select backup (if backup not displayed, press func5 first). Insert source memory card..hit enter. Follow the onscreen instructions (swapping cards)

But getting the data onto a computer via Sysex would be more convenient as the Roland memory cards are getting hard to find.

I'll keep my eyes...and ebay window open!

Cheers,

Kris
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

If we found the sysex we could probably just send it over by email. No cards, no shipping ...
Old 17th June 2005
Thrill, I would be up for that offer... I have the lexicon 480 emulation card if any one needs a copy! We should get a little preset swap club going here.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Ah, look there, Denis from the PM box.
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Addict

oh if its possible to do it via sysex count me in too ,is there some 880 phorum with file upload or smth somewhere ?
Old 18th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Sounds cool.

Is the 480L the Tom Stephenson card?

Not quite sure if it's the Tom Stephenson card. The card is grey and has a printed label saying Lexicon 480L emulation card. The presets sound pretty good... Most reverbs sound wider left to right than the 880 but none beats the front to back depth this thing has! I love it!!!

Man if we can get the sysex stuff going, it would be real easy to trade patches over the net... I must look into this as the damn memory cards are getting real axpensive for kilobytes of memory!?!?
Old 18th June 2005
Gear Maniac

If anyone knows of a controller to be had for it please let me know. Mine is DOA and that means the unit is too for that matter. Controller only.
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Head

R-880 Questions

I too have just picked up a R880, and have a few questions.
It is version 1.1, what is the latest version i can go to?
And what are the major differences from V1 to V2?
You guys talked about being able to sysex the extra cards was this possible?
Also if i get some extra RAM cards would much appreaciate if i could send them to someone to get some of the programs like the massenburg etc.

Thanks in advance, i love the sound of it.

Adam
Old 28th December 2006
Here for the gear

Just wanted to revive this thread...

Did anyone figure out how to make sysex dumps of their memory cards? If so, I'd love to figure out how that is done so that we all can trade.
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Another 880 user here, let me have a look at that sysex option... I should have all documentation since I bought the unit new, and I've been fiddling with it quite a lot too.

Martin
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Rhuphus,

Don't cheap out on the outputs. After Rob alerted me to the fact, I just use them all. It is a beautiful machine, much like a fine, hand-built car of yesteryear, one that still shows class and provides an experience few new boxes can deliver.

I have what I think is the Lee Quintana card. It just says Lee in black maker on it. have not checked it out yet.
Old 10th February 2007
Here for the gear

Wanted To Buy

If anyone ever wants to sell their Roland R-880, I am looking...
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneinaPond View Post
Rhuphus,

Don't cheap out on the outputs. After Rob alerted me to the fact, I just use them all. It is a beautiful machine, much like a fine, hand-built car of yesteryear, one that still shows class and provides an experience few new boxes can deliver.

I have what I think is the Lee Quintana card. It just says Lee in black maker on it. have not checked it out yet.
Hey Stoney,

just found your post.
I used all the outputs, but thanks for the tip nonetheless. :O)

Currently all stuff turned off. Will box it soon and move into a new life.

Best,

Ruphus
Old 8th December 2007
Here for the gear

Hi!
Have somebody information about sysex, more then at the manual?
I tried to write sounddiver adoptation and find some unclear points, for example, there is no information about format of address values.
Information about programms adresses is absent too.
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Great converters & R-880 card club

Ruphus,

I also have the R-880 and part of it's great sound is its converters, so my two cents is; don't worry about bit rate and just go analog out and I like the two engines and just a stereo pair.

And to Thrill and all-- How about a card swap/copy club? I'd be willing to pay for the trouble and help.

Personally, I'd love to get the Lee Quintana card (funny, I actually bought a Fairlight from him no that long ago... could try just calling him). But would also like the Nichols card.

So... anyway we could arrange for a card swap/paid assist in this area to those who could do it?

-andrews
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Sure man just let me know how and when.

I have to admit though that i really haven't used it lately. Its too cumbersome swapping cards so i just end up using the same patch over and over and modifying it.

Also i tend to use mine's digitally so setting it up everytime you power down or switching patches to work digitally is a big pain in the ass!!!
Well, if I got some cards to send you and paid you for your thoughtful time and effort (I fully respect you are a buys guy), could we do that?

Just mail it back, I'd make it all self-addressed and as painless as possible.

That would be top-notch helpful

-andrews
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Cool dude.

I have 3 cards:

M-880D- Digital I/O programs(Roger Nichols,Paul M. Young)

M-880L- Alternate programs-Warmer and Richer General purpose programs,Ambience,Specialty effects,Module combinations(EQ,Chorus,compressors ,delays by Tom Stephenson).

M-880P- User Customized programs(Massenberg,Roger Nichols,George Thorn,Paul M Young)

I wonder if there were cards A-P?

Probably Roger Nichols would know?
Now the trick, where and how do I track down some cards to do this with ya

Not seeing any on eBay at the moment.

Suggestions?

-andrews
Old 9th December 2007
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestsoundever View Post
If anyone ever wants to sell their Roland R-880, I am looking...
I have one with all the extra cards. PM me if you want one...
Old 10th December 2007
Gear Nut

r-880 card

Ta da:

roland M-256D, All matching items for sale.

-bryan
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post

Thanks, i bought that card!

Soooo THRILL... with one card at the moment, which collection do you think would be the best for me to have copied?

I value yur advice.

Regards,

Andrews
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

Can I please get in on this?
I have a r880 with one blank spare card.

I'll be using it as my go to vocal verb so which expansion card presets do you think I should go for?

_
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

Geroge Massenburg´s is the best.
What else would you expect?

Ruphus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search