The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's doing mixbuss EQ?
Old 1st January 2009
Lives for gear

i do rough eq-ing on the mixbus, giving it my style and leaving space for mastering.
Old 1st January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Saying EQ on the 2bus is cheating is like saying the master volume on your desk is cheating. It makes no sense.

it makes perfect sense if you're the rule-making type.

i've said it before, i'll say it again: rules are for intersections.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 1st January 2009
Lives for gear

Rarely, but it happens.
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

I always use a NTI EQ3. I try to leave as little work for the mastering guy as possible. With that in mind, I have a rule I follow: I'd rather leave too much bass and not enough high end, than the other way around. It's much easier to take away bass and add highs, than replace missing bass or remove highs.
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

there is no cheating in music production. wether its sampled drums, auto-tune, or stereo eq, the end ALWAYS justifies the means IMHO.
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
there is no cheating in music production. wether its sampled drums, auto-tune, or stereo eq, the end ALWAYS justifies the means IMHO.
I agree. The whole recording process is "cheating"!!!
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I'd rather leave too much bass and not enough high end, than the other way around.

that's my m.o. as well; as long as the kick and bass are proportional, and the mud zone is orderly, it's really easy to ratchet the whole bottom-end down a notch. whereas if there's not enough, it's actually hard to tell if things are as balanced as they need to be.

as for highs, i tend to leave it a little dark because i've found that highs are like crack and it gets real easy, especially at the end of a mix, to lose sight of just how much is enough.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i've said it before, i'll say it again: rules are for intersections.
The mix buss is an intersection; it's where the mix engineer and the mastering engineer cross paths. heh heh

-synthoid
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Addict

I think its ok to process your 2 mix as long as the end product sounds good.
What ever gets you through the night. I am not so sure 2 mix processing is
tabu
worst case the mastering engineer will have less to do
but a bad mix is a bad mix regardless of 2 buss treatment

we are discussing this I hope?
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
The mix buss is an intersection; it's where the mix engineer and the mastering engineer cross paths. heh heh

heh...

okay then, i say the mix *buss* is my car, the *mix* is the intersection.

now i need a fashionably political bumper sticker. something like, 'keep your laws off my mix buss'.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Maniac

I wait until I'm almost done, then put a little smiley face EQ on it to see if it helps (meaning I add top and bottom shelf using an avalon 747 the stereo graphic eq NOT the 737 recording channel thingy). I put the eq before my mastering comp.

Usually I find I've gone a little dark with the instruments, so I'll take off the two buss eq and revisit the individual track EQ's, checking cymbals, top of the guitars, vocals etc. Then I'll throw the master eq back on and tame it a little bit, adding much less of what I started to add in the first place.

My thinking is that I want to hand the mastering engineer a track that sounds great. Then I want that mastering engineer to make it sound a little louder, and balanced with the other songs it'll be with. I don't like to hand over 'unfinished' work, guessing that its going to sound better with a whole lot of high end added. Some mastering engineers can be a little heavy handed : ) and then you get back this over hyped sizzle-fest. Adding 2dB of any particular EQ is a lot, IMHO.
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

And again two years later ?

..........I am thinking to add a nice eq on my mixbuss right after my TC Phoenix and going into UA 2192 just for the final polish ....

I think another tube EQ after Phoenix would be too much tube and color , dont know ....
On the other hand I dont want to spend a fortune on the EQ just for 1 db every now and then.......
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

You could also use an EQ on the 2bus to ATTENUATE say some midrange. Just saying but a lot of folks here seem to imply that 'EQ' and 'Boost' are synonyms.
Old 12th November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
You could also use an EQ on the 2bus to ATTENUATE say some midrange.
“Hey hey hey…hey. Hey.”

Old 12th November 2011
Fezzle
I work Solely ITB and have been strapping the Waves JJP Pultec on my 2 bus, no eq just switched on.. dunno how the heck it does but seems to bring the front to back to life + adds a few inches either side. Sounds good to me
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

This is going to sound terrible but I recentlty started a mixing session with a plugin EQ on the mixbuss. It stayed there the whole time and the song turned out great. It's doing a little boost in the air/shimmer zones, a little cut of mud, and a small bass boost. I don't see how this is any worse than achieving the same thing with multiple plugin instances on individual elements or busses. It's been more convenient because I needed to used very little EQing elsewhere. If the artist opts for hiring a pro ME, I can always send him a version with and without.
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
This is going to sound terrible but I recentlty started a mixing session with a plugin EQ on the mixbuss. It stayed there the whole time and the song turned out great. It's doing a little boost in the air/shimmer zones, a little cut of mud, and a small bass boost. I don't see how this is any worse than achieving the same thing with multiple plugin instances on individual elements or busses.
Chances are that it even creates way less phase problems and is faster as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
It's been more convenient because I needed to used very little EQing elsewhere. If the artist opts for hiring a pro ME, I can always send him a version with and without.
This is a good point. I don't know why many folks are so unsure about their mixes and kinda are guessing whether the ME will like the compression, EQ, etc. Mix it they way you want to have it sound in the end! The only thing important is to not maximize the level too much when a ME is involved but as far as EQ and compression, etc is concerned I would really do it exactly how you want it to be.

IMO there's a tendency these days to use mastering as a kind of final mixing stage besides the actually mastering and I'm not sure if that's a good tendency.
Old 12th November 2011
1980, no.

1990, no.

2000, no.

2009, no.

2011, still no EQ. Don't need it. I'm still trying to figure out why you would.
Old 12th November 2011
Gear Head

I only put EQ on the master when the track is gonna be put out without mastering other then that no EQ

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search