The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's doing mixbuss EQ?
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Guru

I usually strap 2 Pultec EQh-2 s across the buss..with maybe a slight little bump on the hi's or low's depending on the tune..but even with no eq it adds magic to the mix..
I'm trying a Manley MP ..it hasn't really floored me so far on the 2 buss..
I'm still trying to find it's stereo mix "mojo".

Something tells me the Fearns might be a lot more "instant gratification" for me.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
Using broad strokes, overall eq. can sound better than trying to accomplish the same thing using channel eqs..
So true!
I like to bring up all faders (no EQ)... listen to the song... and if it needs a little air or botton... add it with my bus-eq (Trident most of the time. Alternatives: Pultec and Sontec). After that the mixing starts
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Roundbadge, would you strap EQP1-A's across the mixbuss?
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness

I am not Round but i know i would if they were in excellent shape.

The EQP-1A is more versatile in the highs than EQH-2.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thrillfactor, thanks for all your help lately. You're making me feel better about the purchase I'm about to make.
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
I usually strap 2 Pultec EQh-2 s across the buss..with maybe a slight little bump on the hi's or low's depending on the tune..but even with no eq it adds magic to the mix..
I'm trying a Manley MP ..it hasn't really floored me so far on the 2 buss..
I'm still trying to find it's stereo mix "mojo".
But then agian, I'm just a stupid rock 'n roll guy and I really don't wanna FFuk the mastering up..maybe it's just a "too much of a good thing " kinda of deal.too many choices..
Something tells me the Fearns might be a lot more "instant gratification" for me.

Round,

The secret like when mixing lead vocals is the comp you choose.

Also try the MP before the comp.

I like MP EQ-Blue 230-Vari-Mu-Clean EQ for air or hi's when doing the junior mastering thing.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

It's really come down to this for me. For my mixbuss. Two matched EQP1As and a AMS 33609JD. Or. Fairman TMEQ and 33609JD or whichever works well with it. Maybe the TMC.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Or i should say "junior mastering thing" that IS a more fitting description
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Thrillfactor, thanks for all your help lately. You're making me feel better about the purchase I'm about to make.

Well Tet,

Good luck in whatever you choose. thumbsup

I wish i had your dilemna right now. heh

Just keep it in mind if you go with the Pultecs on the mixbuss they have to be in great shape and pretty much match up as much as possible.

What comp will you use on your mixbuss?
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Well Tet,

What comp will you use on your mixbuss?
thumbsup
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thrill,

if you were me, what would you choose?

PULTEC EQP1As and NEVE 33609 JD
FAIRMAN TMEQ and TMC
FEARN VT-4s VT-7
STC-8 and IBIS

Or a combination of?
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Thrill,

if you were me, what would you choose?

PULTEC EQP1As and NEVE 33609 JD
FAIRMAN TMEQ and TMC
FEARN VT-4s VT-7
STC-8 and IBIS

Or a combination of?
Your choices:

1) The classic sound of rock and roll done by a lot of guys-an excellent combination.

I got to try the new JD version and its already on my wish list.

Its sounds on the mixbuss better than any version i've ever used.

2) The Fairman combination-big and bold and clear.

3) I haven't heard the VT-7 so can't comment.

I am curious though.

4)The Cranesong combo-really nice.

If i could get any combo lets say 3-4 pieces from the above for mixing rock:

1)Pultecs-classic if not used on the mixbuss i can use it other places

2)Neve 33609JD-same as above can work well on the drumbuss,vocals

If they added the variable Fred Hill attack mod i would be in heaven.

3)Cranesong STC-8 or Blue 230(my choice)-If i need cleaner grab or a comp with its own signature and mid push

4)Ibis and or Sontec mastering EQ-cleaner EQ for the surgical stuff

Honorable mention-SSL FX384 buss compressor
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

I like big and clear and open. I was listening to the Jack Johnson CD and loved how intimate it was. I don't know why, but the Fairman TMEQ seems really cool to me. But it seems that the choice that everyone goes with is: Pultecs and Neve. Which is probably what I'll do.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

I use a few different things

Hey guys;
I'm lucky enough to have a few options on hand. And they all have their p
#1- The SSL 384 into the Medici EQ.
Sounds wonderful and punchy as hell.
#2- ADL 670 into Summit Dual Program EQ,
Also great, puts everything in your face.

But as of late
#3- I've been using the Massive Passive, wired into the pre section of the Manley Slamm with the convertor option...Both have the mastering options.
The last few things I did came out real nice...
So that's what being done this week.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Who's doing mixbuss EQ?-2buss.jpg  
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

ADL 670

But this is still a beautiful thing!
And I find myself just going to it quite a bit...
Hats of to Tony!
Attached Thumbnails
Who's doing mixbuss EQ?-adl670.jpg  
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
Using broad strokes, overall eq. can sound better than trying to accomplish the same thing using channel eqs.. What you don't want to do is surgical stuff that might only be solving your monitoring problems rather than a mix problem.

I agree with that...doing some gentle broad sweeps can go a long way towards glueing the whole mix together, but it better be a damn fine EQ.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:

Thanks Thrill..I'm gonna hang with it for a few weeks..I'm sure I'll find it.
a 230 would be nice
Tetness.. I'd do that in a heartbeat.Like thrill said if they both are in GOOD SHAPE and matched up.and that 'd be great..I seen refurbed ones that did NOT sound right..so beware.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Roundbadge, I just listened to a couplee of Jack Johnson tracks, I love that intimate, modern Folk sound as well as the rock stuff. And I worry that the Pultecs might not be "great" pultecs and that they allow to mid-range sculpting. That's why I keep thinking TMEQ. Maybe I should go TMEQ and 33609JD. Get a little bit of the rock sound with that warm tube, clear EQ? Thoughts?
Old 20th June 2005
Quote:
Roundbadge, I just listened to a couplee of Jack Johnson tracks, I love that intimate, modern Folk sound as well as the rock stuff. And I worry that the Pultecs might not be "great" pultecs and that they allow to mid-range sculpting. That's why I keep thinking TMEQ. Maybe I should go TMEQ and 33609JD. Get a little bit of the rock sound with that warm tube, clear EQ? Thoughts?
Can you check out a Fairman EQ over where you are at?

If the exchange rates weren't so bad i am sure it be possible to demo one.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
I could definately make that work...
In regards to the TMEQ or the Fearns: I have heard nothing but glowing reviews on both units..

Have you gotten any real prices on either units? mmmmmm...
Hot Damn!
Now you got ME going!
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Guru

A demo in La would be great..
it just doesnt look like the kind of unit that they have extras lying around the shop..
Anyone in LA even OWN one?
I'd rent it for a day just to check it.. stike
Old 20th June 2005
no ssl yet
NTI

I kinda like the NTI EQ3 on 2 bus (plus its all I got so its good I like it)
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Can you check out a Fairman EQ over where you are at?

If the exchange rates weren't so bad i am sure it be possible to demo one.
Thrill,

That's the problem. If I could easily demo one, I would have. What would be easy it just buying the damn thing. But there in's where the problem lies. What if i don't love it. That's why I'm asking everyone about it and saturating gearslutz with question about it and other eqs of that ilk. I'm now trying to find a recording studio that has one so i can hear it. But not word yet on that. Unless you know where one is in the LA area.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
But this is still a beautiful thing!
And I find myself just going to it quite a bit...
Hats of to Tony!
Paul, you slutty, slutty bastard! heh Very sweet..... And good to see you on gearslutz!
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler
Hey guys; I'm lucky enough to have a few options on hand. ...
Paul

you, sir, are pure evil, and i love it. thank you for the slutbag pictures of the adl's, they made my day.

life is good here... i just slapped an origin across my lead vocals for mixdown, and my job tonight is to determine whether i prefer the stock tubes or the nos telefunkens.

it's a tough life we live.

and tetness, given the music you mention my vote is for the vt4's with the stc8. but all of your options are incredible, so just flip a coin and DO IT, you will be thrilled with any of those combos.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
Considering that EQ (unlike compression*) can be completely reversed if it needs to be, I say proceed bravely!

(* - I am not one of these guys that tells people to avoid buss compression, just noting that compression cannot be literally undone, while EQ can...)
Good to hear from a top mastering engineer! I usually stay away from it because you guys can hear stuff that I can't! Of course, if I had a Massive Passive I would probably at least run it through there.
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

And three years later.....
Old 29th September 2008
Its the HAMMER for me, just because it sounds good. Sometimes just a tad mid or high.
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Head

Working w/ analog gear, it kind of depends on what's available for EQ. If there aren't a number of quality Hi-freq eq's available, I'll typically strap the best pair across the mix buss and start with a bit of additive high shelf. This will usually get tweaked some throughout the mix and sometimes goes away, but it's usually there from the top.

In the box, never any mix buss EQ (or typically any mix buss processing period).
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrian View Post
In the box, never any mix buss EQ (or typically any mix buss processing period).
So when ITB and avoiding mix buss processing, do you leave that for the mastering engineer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search