The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
THE UTLIMATE EQ SURVEY!!!!
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

THE UTLIMATE EQ SURVEY!!!!

Vote on your favorite (non-vintage) EQ from this list. Think mixbuss first, but also vocals, acoustic guitar, bass, drums, etc... Disregard price. Whichever EQ you select, you get for free, and will be delivered to the private island or tropical paradise of your choice.

1. Fairman TMEQ
2. Crane Song IBIS
3. D.W. feart VT-4 (stereo pair)
4. GML 9500
5. Avalon 2077
6. Manley Massive Passive
7. Great River EQ-2NV
(added later to the list)
8. GML 8200
9. Avalon 2055
10. Gryaf G-14
11. Millenia NSE-Q2
12. EAR 825
13. EAR 823
13. Tubetech EQ-1A(m)
14. Summit Audio EQF-100
15. Mercury EQ-P
16. Manley EQP-1A
17 Masalec MEA-2
18. API 550 (A)(B)
19. Focusrite Red 2
20. (or the one that I didn't mention)
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

In order: 6, 4, 2, 7..

The Massive is the best Rock EQ made today. Please send mine to the following Island:

B.P. 348 - 98713 Papeete Tahiti - Polynesie Francaise

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
Vote on your favorite (non-vintage) EQ from this list. Think mixbuss first, but also vocals, acoustic guitar, bass, drums, etc... Disregard price. Pretend that whichever EQ you select, you get for free to use on your desert island. You get the jist.

1. Fairman TMEQ
2. Crane Song IBIS
4. GML 9500
5. Avalon 2077
7. Great River EQ-2NV
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

api550b and I'm sure the reissue of the 550A is
Old 16th June 2005
massive passive for everything, even for president
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Massive Passive seems to be winning so far. Interesting. I have heard that the Fairman TMEQ is a superior piece. Also, more than double the price. Thoughts on this?
Old 17th June 2005
Mastering Moderator

Ask Lindell I think he's got both.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
why limited to that list ?

gustav
Aye, hardly 'Ultimate' with only 7 units listed...

Old 17th June 2005
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT
Aye, hardly 'Ultimate' with only 7 units listed...

Gyraf 14?

Millennia NSEQ

couple of -sadly- still vaporeq's

Forsell

Requisite

heh

Labs! How's your 3U red doorstop doing?
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra

B.P. 348 - 98713 Papeete Tahiti - Polynesie Francaise

Z
Make mine a Massivo Passivo, (not that I've played with the half of them there) closely followed by the old standard, the GML8200.

And I'd like a double order, one waiting for me in Bora Bora and one for Maldives..... hang on...... why do I need one there? There's no chance I'm doing any work. In fact, have them delivered to my new residential (I wish) on the Gold Coast here in Aussie.
Old 17th June 2005
member no 666

Quote:
1. Fairman TMEQ
2. Crane Song IBIS
4. GML 9500
5. Avalon 2077
7. Great River EQ-2NV
In this particular case, my "vote" would be for 8. All of the above.

Ya know, it might be easier to pick which of my children I liked better... much like my children [I only have two of those] these units have different personalities... and some days those personalities suit your mood better than other days.

There is no best woman, there is no best car, there is no best wine, and there is definitely no best equalizer... there is "best for the moment" in all of those categories, but in no uncertain terms there can never be general consensus at to "best"
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

yea...what he said...andwhy include the mastering specific versions of the GML and Avalon...jus cause they're xpensive ?? is your ear embedded in the cheek of your butt...n covered with leather ??
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
There is no best woman, there is no best car, there is no best wine, and there is definitely no best equalizer... there is "best for the moment" in all of those categories, but in no uncertain terms there can never be general consensus at to "best"
That might work with your kids, but that won't work with MY wife.

I refuse to answer the threads question because it doesn't contain my choice.

A pair of "real" Pultecs. It's not the best for everything, but it's never bad for anything.

(maybe a elephant holder)
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

You're right. This list needed to be altered. I have since added more contenders.
Old 17th June 2005
member no 666

What is this? The Kentucky Derby of personal aesthetic?
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

No, it's just a lame thread that might help me figure out which ones I'm going to demo/buy. I need two more EQs in my studio other than my Pultecs and my 1073s. I'm always interested Slutz opinions. So far, the Massive Passive is definitely on my list. Thank you for your thoughts so far, slutz. Much appreciated. heh
Old 17th June 2005
Quote:
Vote on your favorite (non-vintage) EQ from this list. Think mixbuss first, but also vocals, acoustic guitar, bass, drums, etc... Disregard price. Whichever EQ you select, you get for free, and will be delivered to the private island or tropical paradise of your choice.

7. Great River EQ-2NV
(added later to the list)
The Massive Passive would be the closest.

I don't like it as much on bass and kicks.

The Great River looks like another all contender.

I now consider the GML8200 and API 550a vintage and essential.

Quote:
20. (or the one that I didn't mention)

SSL Black EQ and maybe the original Focusrite 110 which could be considered vintage also.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, it's just a lame thread that might help me figure out which ones I'm going to demo/buy. I need two more EQs in my studio other than my Pultecs and my 1073s. I'm always interested Slutz opinions. So far, the Massive Passive is definitely on my list. Thank you for your thoughts so far, slutz. Much appreciated. heh
Since I got an EQP-1A my Massive is not being used very much...the mids are great but if I was you I would check out the API 550a. Absolutely beautiful sound.
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Okay, almost there. I'll probably buy a Massive Passive for vox and other things. Good to have. But the three contenders for the mix bus EQ for me are:

PULTEC EQP1-A (matched pair from Vintage King)
FEARN VT-4 (stereo pair)
FAIRMAN TMEQ

Which one(s) should I go with?
Old 18th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
What is this? The Kentucky Derby of personal aesthetic?
LMFBO heh heh

I'll take the GML to win, Avalon to place, and the Summit to show.
Old 18th June 2005
Here's a tease for you Massive Passive fans.. the Mini Massive (when it's out) is reported to have have tweaked 'air' / sheen / HF lift capabilities, over and above those existing on the MP. MORE 'perfect' for adding 'air'....So you will have to buy that one as as well!!!
Old 18th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Here's a tease for you Massive Passive fans.. the Mini Massive (when it's out) is reported to have have tweaked 'air' / sheen / HF lift capabilities, over and above those existing on the MP. MORE 'perfect' for adding 'air'....So you will have to buy that one as as well!!!
No problem here.

I was one of the first to mention the funny hi's on the MP thing.

And i will gladly be one of the first to sing the praises of the mini Massive.

Maybe it will even replace my GML on the mixbuss.
Old 18th June 2005
where are the ibis fans here? although i only own a mp i still lust after it. so no votes here for the crane song beast? that scares me now a little bit.
Old 18th June 2005
member no 666

Well for what it's worth I have an IBIS in my rack... and a Massive Passive... and an EQ-2NV... and a pair of Lil Freq's... and some old vintage UA passive EQ's that Greg over at Electrical Audio racked up for me... and just got rid of a bunch of other equalizers because I wanted the space for other stuff... like API 560's that I think I'm going to add to the collection again because I really do love the fukkers... but I'm also looking for a Klark Teknik DN-360 for not only the main monitors in the new room but I"m thinking of adding one to the rack cause they come in really handy sometimes... but they are 3 RU and thats a lot of real estate for two channels of EQ [like that was the reason I let my GML 9500 go]... then there is the "Passive / Agressive" EQ in the Pendulum "Quartet II" and the less fancy but no less elegant EQ in the original "Quartet" [and that de-esser is one of the most bad ass de-esser's I've ever met... way different from the de-esser in the Lil Freq. which could be the coolest and most useable de-esser I have ever used.

Bottom line, there are no right or wrong choices.

Pick some stuff at random and see how it fits into your style of working. I think the Massive Passive is possibly the best EQ invention made since the ITI "MEP-230" was first released... I have a friend who thinks it's a worthless piece of **** and can't believe I actually like the thing.

He makes excellent recordings [ahhh, who am I kiddin'... my work kicks his ass]... it's just a different sense of aesthetic [hence why my work kicks his ass... even though he does work a lot more than me... but I have a day gig and don't go looking for gigs... but his phone does ring an awful lot and he charges more than me... so maybe he's right? Fukk that... my work is way better than his... I know it is... my clients always tell me my work rules...].
Old 18th June 2005
The Buzz MPE 1.1 and Great River EQ-2NV are my most used & versatile EQ's in tone and function these days, but I own Millennia, Daking, API, Crane Song & Vintech which all do the job but aren't quite as versatile (again tone is a factor in addition to functionality) IMHO.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Guru

1. Fairman TMEQ
2. Crane Song IBIS
4. GML 9500
7. Great River EQ-2NV
18. API 550 (A)(B)

Ive had the MP since last tuesday..High hopes for the 2 buss
.. so far ,not thrilled with anything over 5K.I've been switching that band off.
sounds like undesirable sizzleness to me..not sweet[pultec]
any useful suggestions, or is it just wishful thinking?
It hasn't reall knocked my socks off on program material yet.I guess I've got to live with it for a while..
The Pultecs are pure instant gratification for me..
Maybe i'm just not a MP guy.We''ll see.
I've had better luck on single sources..kick,snare,vox,bass...though
stike
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

I second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz
massive passive for everything, even for president
I second that.

I've liked a lot of EQ's though.

It's relative too. The EQs on the DDA I work on a lot sound better than any of my digital EQs in most applications. (including the URS stuff which I love.) Same goes for the neotek I used to work on.

Maybe I'm not so spoiled yet.

The EQ's the tool. Not me.

-Justin
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

I love the Massive as well, and the Ibis, and the API 550A/B, and the Great River EQ-2NV.

But if I had to take just one EQ to my deserted island, it would be (drumroll please....)

The Neve 1084.

Ta-DAAAHHH!

Thank you very much, thank you...

and goodnight Cleveland!
Old 7th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo
couple of -sadly- still vaporeq's

Forsell
You aren't kiddding! If he ever gets his mastering EQ out, I'll be buying the champagne that night.

For now, the Millennia and the EAR are probably the two favorites, and the GML 9500 and Maselec are OK too. Haven't heard the Fairman, though I'd love to.
Old 7th July 2006
Quote:
With two EQs heavy on the color, wouldn't something a little less colorful be a good choice for your third flavor? Maybe not, depending on wat you're doing. If you need versatility, I'd look at the whole collection and balance it out. If it's just for your creative expression and you love the frosting, the go for it.
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

None from that list.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search