The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
eminem's vocal chain.......
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

eminem's vocal chain.......

Anyone here know eminem's vocal chain?

I would be really interested in knowing the mic used to record his vocals on his 1st album the "The Slim Shady LP" with the infamous track called "My Name Is".
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

Some one told me that Dr. Dre uses the Sony 800 (valve mic if I am not mistaken), so it might well be that. I could of course be totally wrong...

Will.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

i think i read an article a while back that sais it was a Sony C-800g through a 1073...or avalon... Im pretty sure it was a 1073.

But ive been wrong before....once.... I think it was a Tuesday.

-S0nguy
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Scratch magazine did an interview with him a few months back and they listed the equipment he uses in his studio. They didn't list explicitly what his vocal chain was (he had a few options if I remember correctly) but I'll try to look it up when I get home later if you can't find it online.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

sorry guys but who in the world wants to sound like eminem? he is a genius lyrically and as a rapper, but his voice? come on!!! reminds me of donald duck on e! the best vocal chain for eminem would be: no mic into no preamp onto no tape - and still you would grab for the EQ to get rid of those mids!!!

Rock on!
Pat
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys
sorry guys but who in the world wants to sound like eminem? he is a genius lyrically and as a rapper, but his voice? come on!!! reminds me of donald duck on e! the best vocal chain for eminem would be: no mic into no preamp onto no tape - and still you would grab for the EQ to get rid of those mids!!!

Rock on!
Pat
I find most of the Aftermath Records (50Cent/G-Unit/Em/etc...) are pretty heavy in the mids/highs/piercing, but it works well....it cuts through...even more so when you have a heavy hiphop beat with a lot of stuff going on and you still want to cut through and understand every word even with fast delivery....
Having said that the Dre vocal chain is Sony C800g / Neve 1073 / dbx 160....I'm assuming Eminem uses the same??maybe!? The record you speak of was recorded a while ago when Dre was doing all of Eminem's material before he started recording himself at his own spot (54 Sound) so its probably the Dre vocal chain.
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Addict

the new Missy single, is easily one of the best hip hop recordings i've heard
song gets on my nerves
but it's beautifully recorded, i'd love to hear what they used for it
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Maniac

just been following this thread...

please dont tell me that that a missy clip i heard on the TV last night during an ad for her new stuff was actually a track of hers.

its a les rhythm digital track and is anything less than obscure here in the UK atleast. the album darkdancer was pretty big.
they are from the UK, despite the name and jacques le cont has been madonnas music director for the last while and being doing Zoot woman stuff alongside it.

anyways, from what you are saying it sound like its true.
my goodness does noone have any shame anymore..
Old 22nd June 2005

stewart is very far from french or rare - but I think that he sampled the same track (bodywork is it?)as was ripped for missy's track... could be wrong tho!
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Sony 800- awesome voval mic- would love one in my cupboard... just too mch money for just vocal mic, still have to hire them sometimes though!
Old 22nd June 2005
and which fx does he use? is it just a plain eventide harmonizer?=
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Maniac

toolskid,

the clip i heard was from "music make you loose control" and was def the LRD version. would make some sense as missy worked with madge...who works with jacques le cont.

could be that im on about a different track though....wouldnt be the first time lol.

anyways, maybe if we keep going we can get a complete circle in 7 steps
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Addict

no i wasn't asking what they sampled for the song, like i said the song is horrible
but the vocals are recorded and mixxed beautifully
i'd like to know what they used for recording and mixxing
Old 23rd June 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeses
no i wasn't asking what they sampled for the song, like i said the song is horrible
missy....
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
missy....
*hits the snare then high hat

heh
Old 23rd June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeses
Probably a U87.

Its what JD has used on a lot of her records.

He mixes on a Neve VR.
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiff
The music is sampled from a rare French electro record...
The name escapes me.....

It's Kraftwerk, it's German, and it's not that rare ...everyone sampeled them in the 80's
Old 2nd July 2005
Here for the gear

As aiff says, it's cybotron's Clear that was sampled - very very classic Detroit electro from Juan Atkins, before he went 'techno'. The original track is good, not my favourite, but its a solid track. Sampled to fu** on LOADS of records. It has been repressed and isn't that rare. Can't beleive so many people don't know who this track was! (Kraftwerk! lol) - if u don't know, don't say!
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiopervert
As aiff says, it's cybotron's Clear that was sampled - very very classic Detroit electro from Juan Atkins, before he went 'techno'. The original track is good, not my favourite, but its a solid track. Sampled to fu** on LOADS of records. It has been repressed and isn't that rare. Can't beleive so many people don't know who this track was! (Kraftwerk! lol) - if u don't know, don't say!
You sure about that? ...Sounds like the begining of "The Hall of Mirrors" slowed down, maybe we're talking about different samples here
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Anyway...for the guy who wanted to know...Eminem used a Sony C800G for "My Name Is". It was the first or second track he recorded with Dr Dre at his home studio. ....and Dre is quoted to always use no other mic than the Sony C800G for his ****.
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

back to the off topic discussion. i was enjoying that much more lol.

maybe we are all talking about different tracks.

the missy track i was on about, and heard, has the vocal part from "music make you loose control" by LRD from darkdancer album.

on the LRD track it actually says...."music make you loose control....control....control" over electro 80s tastics with a nice 80s guitar synth riff afterwards.

missy has used this vocal part definately as i heard it with my own ears. maybe theres an alternate version but it would seem on that it would be played on TV.

my copy of cybotrons clear definately doesnt say that anywhere on it.... have i got the wrong version?

that withstanding clear does sound like a fusion between transeurope express and jeff waynes "war of the worlds"

perhaps that means that missy is plundering the heady depths of 90s dance musics 80s sound.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search