The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintech.. shmintech?
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

Vintech.. shmintech?

Anyone using Vintech Pres? specifically the X81/X73 models..

I am a huge fan of actual 1081's and I am wondering if these units are in the park at all, as i do not have the cash for the N word right now.. not looking for a pissing match, but all opinions are welcome, I am debating getting one to check out, but since I live in the middle of nowherre are far as pro audio is concerened, I will have to buy to try.

Steve
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Think they kinda s.u.c.k......... sorry......
Old 30th March 2003
They're very good, since Mr. Sucks doesn't like them, I guess that's a compliment (or answer to your question) in a strange kind of way. I'm gathering from your question that you have experience with real Neve 1073's also (the X73 and X81 are class A, the 1081's aren't). So why the "Neve" sound in particular (whatever that is), and what did you 'hear' when you did try out the original 1081's that you found desirable to your working style? I ask because I find that people often go on a name or reputation, rather than a specific sonic quality of a piece which may or may not be close to what they need. Also all of the "Neve" interpretations are quite different (about as different as from one 1073 to the next) from each other and one can often suite a particular application better than the other IMO. All seem to be based on the 1073 also not the 81 (don't confuse tone with function) .
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

Nathan,

Thanks for the post. The first time I used a 1081 module was on a vocal, and after a day of very unsatisfactory results with several pres ( including a manley VOXBOX and an AMEK CIB ) I got my hands on an 81 and presto, the top was right, the bottom was tight, and I was a happy camper. My biggest lack here is a pre with "character", the Voxbox does have a sound ( which I am a big fan of btw) but I have nothing that has the "weight" of the 81s I have experience with. I will be honest and say that I have no real idea why these units sound the way they do, but I know it is a color I am sorely missing around here, not for everything, but for alot of things

I am def not sayin that an old Neve is the only way to get that sound, there is soem great gear out there, and i am willing to wait till I have the cash to get the "right" flavour, but I just cant ( and just dont think I nessicarily need to ) shell out the cash that 1081s are fetching right now...
Old 30th March 2003
Here for the gear

The X81 is not really a clone of a Neve 1081 module as Nathan
points out. It is more of a cross between the 1081 and a 1073.
It contains the same class A mic preamplifier circuitry, input transformer, output transformer and inductors as in the 1073, but
features a four band eq section more like that of the 1081. Also,
unlike the eq section in a 1081, the amplifiers utilized in the eq section are the same class A circuits used in the 1073.
I usually don't like to get involved in discussions about our equipment, but I thought I should explain a little about the differences between a Neve 1081 and the X81.
Thanks,
Dallas Upton
Vintech Audio
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

hey Dallas,

Thanks for the info, and for your professional approach!
Old 30th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Search the Moderator archives for "Microphone preamp comparison testing" and you'll get Michael Wagener and my opinions comparing the 1073 to the X73 (and the Great River and the Sheps).

I haven't played with the X81, but the X73 has been my default vocal pre for quite a few months (even before we did the comparison).
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear
I know this isn't exactly on point, but I just did a band with the vintech 1272/akg d112 on kick with no comp, and on guitars, I really like it!
I have a bunch of pres and this is one of my favorites, I can't wait to try a neve and other flavors of vintech, averill,great river etc,
peace
daniel
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Search the Moderator archives for "Microphone preamp comparison testing" and you'll get Michael Wagener and my opinions comparing the 1073 to the X73 (and the Great River and the Sheps).

I haven't played with the X81, but the X73 has been my default vocal pre for quite a few months (even before we did the comparison).
thanks Dave, that is exactly the info I was looking for, and thanks again Nathan.

Steve
Old 30th March 2003
Re: Vintech.. shmintech?

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Anyone using Vintech Pres? specifically the X81/X73 models..

I am a huge fan of actual 1081's and I am wondering if these units are in the park at all, as i do not have the cash for the N word right now.. not looking for a pissing match, but all opinions are welcome, I am debating getting one to check out, but since I live in the middle of nowherre are far as pro audio is concerened, I will have to buy to try.

Steve
If you want a Neve 1081 than check out:

www.amsneve.com

1081 Channel Amplifier

Following the 'rebirth' of the 1081 classic Neve and EQ amp, many hundreds of units have been sold. The 1081 channel amplifier was first produced in 1972 and was used to provide the mic/line-amp and EQ sections in Neve consoles such as the 8048.

I got a pair and its as close as you are going to get to the originals.

The X81 is really a 1073 remake with the 1081 Eq points.

It doesn't really sound like a 1081(class AB as opposed to class A), which makes the 1081 better for vocals in my opinion(not to mention the EQ).

If you just want the Neve Class AB sound on the cheap, then check out some of the broadcast modules(33115 etc). They may not have the EQ points, but they have the sound.
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

Thrill, thanks for the link. What did your pair of 1081s set you back? ( if it is ok to ask... )
Old 30th March 2003
Quote:
Thrill, thanks for the link. What did your pair of 1081s set you back? ( if it is ok to ask... )

Steve,

I bought them from FunkyJunk about 2 years ago.

They were around $4k each at the time. The total to rack them up came up to around $8500.

Right now they have gone up. I think the same setup right now will be between $9-10K.

I've seen some used 1081's on Ebay from time to time.

I saw a single one in a Brent Averill rack for around $4.5K.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

Thats what I am seeing as well, I had a shot at a great pair last fall for 8K, racked. I just did not have the dinero at the time ( or now for 8k.. ) maybe I just need to wait...

or try some other stuff....

decisions, decisions..
Old 31st March 2003
One with big hooves

I have a Dual 72/1272 and I like it. Even if the X73/81 isn't the same as the real thing, it's a hell of a lot cheaper and they don't make things sound bad.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

I certianly do not want to give the impression that I think the 73/72/81 would sound bad, I am just realizing i need to listen to some units, and I undoubtedly will want both...

The more I think about it, I will probablly get some variation of the vintech this week to listen to.
Old 31st March 2003
Realize also that the preamp in the Vintech 1272 and the preamp in the X73/X81 sound very different from each other.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

Will do for sure.. I just checked the books and I am dangerously close to affording a ViPRE...

I may have to set up a shootout..
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

I would seriously consider the Chandler Limited LTD-1

www.chandlerlimited.com

John
Old 31st March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by paterno

www.chandlerlimited.com

John
John, there are a lot of really great preamps out there. I'm sure we could just give the guy a list. BTW, the Vintech you heard (how many years ago was that?) was revision #1. Things have changed greatly since then in the product both on a reliability and sonic level. That assessment is as valid as your clientel determing if your AE work is acceptable based on one of the first things you ever recorded many many years ago. Drawing conclusions from out of date information is not valid today.
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

did I miss something?
Old 31st March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
did I miss something?
Yes, but it is not important. Nathan and I have had a few private exchanges in the past, and this was one of the subjects we touched upon.

I only wanted to provide a viable alternative in my previous post. I don't intend to say anything else on the matter.

You said it best, Steve -- it is time to listen to some units and to determine what is best for you.

-John
Old 1st April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
They were around $4k each at the time. The total to rack them up came up to around $8500.
call me curious, but are they REALLY worth that much? i mean you could get a LOT of other colors that are great colors to use for the same price. hell, a spider gives you 8 channels+8tape+10ADC's for $2k less. or 2 channels of vipre for $3.5k less. or......

and why do you like AB for vox [just curious] opposed to a mice classA design?
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by paterno

www.chandlerlimited.com

John
Does Chandler have a verison of the 1081? I didn't see one.
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
call me curious, but are they REALLY worth that much? i mean you could get a LOT of other colors that are great colors to use for the same price. hell, a spider gives you 8 channels+8tape+10ADC's for $2k less. or 2 channels of vipre for $3.5k less. or......
IT looks like I am buying a vipre next week, I will take it with me to a remote date i have in earily may and A/B it against a pair of 1081s that I know to be brilliant. I am not looking for the vipre to sound like the 81s, jut to hear the diffrence side by side.

As I thought about it, It makes more and more sense to me to check out the vipre , it will be my "main" pre, and since I am limited in my selection here, having one that can have so many variables ( impedence, slewrate and rise time controls) seems a good choice.. so I will try one out, from what I am hearing aobut it, I can't imagine not liking it.
Old 1st April 2003
There is only one

i know i like the vipre a LOT too. i am really needing one more and more and wish i had one... or two. or three. 4?
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

the Vipre is now my "go to" pre of choice. I wish I had several (dream on). But a second one is in my future for sure...
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear
anyone heard the Chandler pre? I'm a Beatle phreak, I wanna sound like JOhn Paul and George
Seriously, anybody?
daniel
Old 1st April 2003
There is only one

i have a chandler "EMI" pre. i like it alot.
Old 1st April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

and why do you like AB for vox [just curious] opposed to a mice classA design?
I really bought them for the EQ.

The mic pre is secondary to me.

On certain mics(tube mics for example) too much class A makes the vocals sound cloudy or muddy.

AB is just a touch faster and clearer and it works better in the mix.

Its all about the vocal for me.heh
Old 1st April 2003
Gear Addict

I have a UA 2-610 and a Martech Mss-10 amd I recently bought a Dan Alexander Neve copy. I LOVE it. On drums it's fantastic, on vocals it's fantastic, on guitars it's fantastic, on bass it's fantastic. It's a Neve. It sounds like a Neve and it's $1150 for a stereo unit at www.danalexanderaudio.com I think that's the right www but you will find it if it's not. To get the Neve sound for $1150 and for 2 channells? I have no Neves here to compare but like I siad I have the UA and Martech and I find I'm using the Dan Alexander more then them. I haev also made records with Neve boards and I LOVE that sound and I've always wanted to own it and now I do. I cannot afford Neve modules so I went this route and I'm glad I did. I think it's the best deal on a pre out there right now. The Neve pres just do soomething to the sound that sounds musicla. It helps the transients on drums so much. It just makes them sound better. I have 2 of them now so I'm using 4 channells of Neve and I'm in heaven. I don't know this but i heard the Dans sound better then the Vintech and they are only one space instead of 2 which I like as well. And they are cheaper.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear