The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
FAIRCHILD 670
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

The 670 may be a magic bullet to some people's ears but if we made a list of great recordings over the years, I would suggest that some, but surprisingly few of those recordings ever saw a 670. A wonderful tool, but not an obligatory gateway to great audio.
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

true true but it had its magic on somethings,... i think play used it on one of there album,s the one with clocks i belive...
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

thanks Beyer sound for the refernce and i meant to say coldplay.. by the way it is possible to capture the sound of its tonality but not its compression.... bascially all tubes and transformers...of course to do this i must have it on a flat stage... what works in convolution flawlessy are EQ Delay nd reverb but good luck trying to impulse every setting...will take you weeks....but i hae found...that sometimes i dont even have to get of my damn chair whenim feeling lazy...lol
Old 2nd February 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post
The 670 may be a magic bullet to some people's ears but if we made a list of great recordings over the years, I would suggest that some, but surprisingly few of those recordings ever saw a 670. A wonderful tool, but not an obligatory gateway to great audio.
I agree, $35000dls for an old compressor?
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Some people find a green 1970 Porsche a sexy thing, some would like a new 911 GT2 and some would prefer to buy 2 BMWs and 5 Toyotas for the same price ....

Its what makes u tick baby whether it works on the buss, on a kick, on a vocals or on a hiss track ... sound is so subjective, its what works for you that matters ....

I like the ADL 670 and the original 670 ... also the STC-8, distressors and the Transient designer ... each has its place, but i could and have made great (subjective records ITB on a G3 back in the day ...shame Atari didn't have audio, would have been interesting ...
Old 2nd March 2008
Gear Head

i have an ADL 670 that im selling

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anthony-Demaria-...QQcmdZViewItem

$10,000
Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

my mentor bill dooley said he regreted it when he sold his fairchild to a friend for $600 bucks to later find out how much they demand on the vintage market..
Old 30th November 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus View Post
Not to smartass or to put the originals down, but I know of a tube wizzard who says that he can rebuild a Fairchild with same parts for something over 6000 Euros. Only difference would be same sounding but differently shaped NOS tubes which are still available in big amounts.

We were talking about him either refurbishing or individually constracting a little guitar amp for studio demands today when he mentioned above to me.

Ruphus
If you have a friend that can custom build a great compressor and it sounds great, by all means do it! If all goes well he may be able to start his own line of tube compressors.

Go onto youtube and pull up Ocean Way Recording and watch a video of Allen Sides talking about when he first met Bill Putnum (creator of UA), and he explains when he bought a whole lot of vintage gear (all originals) including a Fairchild for only $5-6,000. Talk about winning the lottery!

You have to understand with the Fairchild that it takes 6386 tubes (4 per channel) which sell for somewhere around $100 or more per tube. And also uses vintage resistors and many more pieces that arent around anymore, OR are next to impossible to find.

Bottom line, if you have the extra $30k to to spend on one - do it. Theres a reason why you see the Fairchilds in the big studios, because they are damn good compressors.

You can also watch a video on youtube with JJP and he talks about the unit and names a few songs and artists he used the compressor on, Goo Goo Dolls - Iris, Fergie - Big Girls Dont Cry, Whitney Houston - Wind Beneath My Wings, and more..songs that have all been hits.
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Came across a pair of 660s(no ide working condition yet) that I might be selling soon(dont have them yet)
Old 23rd December 2008
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

The thread that wouldn't die continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Guess no one seems to care.
He's had his 670 for quite a while now.
its one of the best sounding units you'll ever hear.
The thread that wouldn't dieheh

Have you heard of this?

The AT-101
Anaologuetube.com
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Head

we have had both an ADL 670 and a Fairchild 670
the real 670 is pretty ridiculous across the drum buss, just hitting like 2dB if that

its gives an awesome tone, ive yet to hear anything like it
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Nut

I revived our Fairchild 670 and two Fairchild 660 last week after 30 years of not beeing used. The last days I had the 670 in the Stereobuss for testing it with many different styles of music. Its making the signal warm, round and taking out the aggressive edge of some music.
I really like them and I think I will use them quit often in the future.

It looks like we have them all absolutly original, really crazy, even the tubes seems to be original, possible because they were 30 years not used and before this only used a few times each year. In classical music they didn´t used them much, even some of the cables were cut and the AC-lead for 110V was missing so it was impossible to use them for decades in our 230V studio.

Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrong Audio View Post
I revived our Fairchild 670 and two Fairchild 660 last week after 30 years of not beeing used. The last days I had the 670 in the Stereobuss for testing it with many different styles of music. Its making the signal warm, round and taking out the aggressive edge of some music.

It looks like we have them all absolutly original, really crazy, even the tubes seems to be original, possible because they were 30 years not used and before this only used a few times each year. In classical music they didn´t used them much, even some of the cables were cut and the AC-lead for 110V was missing so it was impossible to use them for decades in our 230V studio.
Can't stop smiling here... Wonderful!
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Wow, what a gorgeous shot of the three units!
Would it be possible for you to list the serial numbers please in order from top to bottom?

Quote:

Old 10th February 2013
Gear Nut

For the serial numbers, I´m not in the studio today. But from memory I´m 99% sure that the 660s are Serial 48 and 49. The 670 is Serial 5xx, I think 532. I will look on friday. Monday to thursday the control room is rented by an engineer for some recordings so I´m not the studio.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's a lot of money in gear just lying around not being used for years.
In some paces, those three units can buy a house.
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
For the serial numbers, I´m not in the studio today. But from memory I´m 99% sure that the 660s are Serial 48 and 49. The 670 is Serial 5xx, I think 532. I will look on friday. Monday to thursday the control room is rented by an engineer for some recordings so I´m not the studio.
Thank much!
Looking forward to verifying the serial numbers.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

The ones that I have used are really worth every penny and are nothing less then "magic". However, $20k for anything in a studio nowadays is ridiculous. $20k for ONE piece is just stupid.

My recommendation- if you need one, RENT ONE.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm happy with my UAD plugin. No, I haven't compared it to the real thing but I compared it to the cherry (and vintage) '68 Camaro SS that I would buy if I had an extra $35k to blow and the UAD plugin worked much better on acoustic guitars. The Camaro had way too much ground hum.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

I agree with alot of the feedback on the 670.You get alot of heads turning if you have a working one but don't buy it if your studio and life will depend on it.
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Nut

Fairchild serial number edit: your 670 have serial 542, and not 532. Wrong memory.

Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

That's a nice looking studio you have there. I used to have a 670 and a 660. I used the 670 a lot--vocals and drums mostly. Great limiter. I want one of the recreations. Yours look mint, btw. When they're maintained correctly I found them to be surprisingly quiet too. Thanks.
Old 17th February 2013
OP just get the fairchild........ we will all envy you
Old 17th February 2013
Gear Head

Anyone planning to spend 25k on a stereo compressor is not a worthy owner.
You can buy amazing hardware compression for 5k and then feed starving kids for the other 20.
Yes, I have worked with a 670
Yes, it was great.
No, its not 25k great.
Get a life!
Old 21st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdHawk View Post
You can buy amazing hardware compression for 5k and then feed starving kids for the other 20.
Yes, I have worked with a 670
Yes, it was great.
No, its not 25k great.
Get a life!
Old 21st February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsquash View Post
OP just get the fairchild........ we will all envy you
he did years ago and sold it.
it was a good one.
Old 22nd February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdHawk View Post
SNIP...
No, its not 25k great.
Where can you get one for ONLY $25,000? These days they are usually seen with asking prices of $30k-$35k
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

I think the price will start to come down on them with so many good clones out there. But yes I have heard the prices are more around 35k.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search