The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Dynaudio Speakers, I can hear the radio in the tweeter?
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Addict

New Dynaudio Speakers, I can hear the radio in the tweeter?

So, one of the studio's I work at just upgraded from Mackie HR824 speakers to Dynaudio BM 15A speakers. This is a vast improvement for sure, but the other day i noticed that if i put my ear next to the tweeter I can distinctly hear a classical music radio station. This seems odd because this interference was not present in the Mackies when they where hooked up (we put them back up to check). This problem occurs even if the speakers are not hooked up to the console, if you plug them in and turn them on even with no audio connection you still hear the radio in the tweeter. It's pretty quiet, and can not be heard when sitting in the mix position, but our concern is that it may cause phase problems with the high end. We are using a furman power conditioner for the power hook up so what gives? Any ideas about why this is happening?, ways to fix it?, is our phase concern valid?

Thanks!
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Nut

Its RF entering the either amplifier(most likely) or the analogue active crossover circuits. Mains conditioning will do nothing here.
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Addict

ok, thanks for that, is there any way to fix the problem?
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Addict

Are you positive that the speakers aren't hooked up? If they are, it could also come from cheaper cables from the speakers to the console...
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Addict

yeah, i'm sure they are not hooked up. just plugged in and turned on, no audio connection at all.
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by edit machine View Post
Nothing that wouldn't void the warranty I'm afraid.

Have you tried moving them around to see if it gets better or worse? I know most people have one spot for their monitors and a new location isn't practical. TBH it shouldn't happen and sounds like poor engineering on dynaudio part.

Perhaps you should be talking to them instead of us?
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Addict

ok, i will try moving them around the room and the space to see if there is a better spot where they won't pick up the RF, although shifting the entire layout of the studio may not be an option.

I wonder if there is actually a legally valid complaint here, I have seen the following text in every manual I have:

"this device may not cause harmful interference, and this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation"

won't they just quote this to me? or do you think the issue qualifies as a genuine defect that would warrant a replacement?
Old 2nd January 2009
I've had the bm15a's for a couple of years now and haven't experienced any interference like this. I would definitely give them a call to see if they can suggest anything, especially since you just got them
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Nut

when I hit a certain volume on an old Vox Tone-bender pedal, I pickup some random Mexican radio station. anywhere in the room, and we pickup the same thing. that interference with your speakers must be a drag.
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
ok, i will try moving them around the room and the space to see if there is a better spot where they won't pick up the RF, although shifting the entire layout of the studio may not be an option.

I wonder if there is actually a legally valid complaint here, I have seen the following text in every manual I have:

"this device may not cause harmful interference, and this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation"

won't they just quote this to me? or do you think the issue qualifies as a genuine defect that would warrant a replacement?
Assuming this isn't an isolated faulty pair you have(both speakers do this right?) then I'd say its a design oversight as correct RF filtering isn't complicated nor expensive.

Personally I'd make a polite but firm protest to my dealer and dynaudio about this issue. Use the word unacceptable lots of times and don't let up to you get a result your happy with.

This is the 21st century and there's a lot of choice out there. So no way you have to settle for this.
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Faraday cage surrounding the studio??? :p

And yes complain complain to the right people, I'm doing this these days, whenever I get a product that doesn't satisfy me or does not live up to it's advertising I'm mailing, writing or calling them till I get a response and a solution.
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear
Same problems with my KRK VXT.
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
yeah, i'm sure they are not hooked up. just plugged in and turned on, no audio connection at all.
Did you try plugging the inputs into something? They need an "audio connection."

Letting the inputs float like that could be your only problem.
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear Addict

we had them hooked up and in use when we discovered the problem. we only disconnected the audio cables to rule out the RFI being linked to the audio hook up.

the problem is there when they audio cables are hooked up and also when there is no audio connection.
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
That is crazy, and those are suppose to be semi high end ?
Old 4th January 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
That is crazy, and those are suppose to be semi high end ?
Well, if they dont specify that it's a radio receiver it is bad low-end. or broken unit.
There are so many radio transmitters today so the manufactures to do some rf tests. Don't the FCC rules specify RF immunity compliance?
Old 5th April 2009
Just wondering, were you able to solve this problem?

I just moved to a new place recently and after hooking up my BM15As, I noticed that there is interference when I put them in one room (next to the windows). Didn't encounter this at my old place at all...
Old 19th October 2010
Here for the gear

Any news on this problem...just receive a pair of BM15 today and same problem happened here..... Anyone solve it???
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Head

Are you working at Avatar Studios in New York? They are famous for having RF come through the monitor. Never went to tape but was difficult to ignore.
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Addict

RF may not be the issue

Well not directly any way...

The AC may be carrying the radio waves right to the power transformer and into the drivers.

At lease that was something that was explained to me.

Not sure how this happens but you can try an AC ground lift to see if the radio station goes away.

If it does then you have isolated your culprit...now you have to talk to someone more qualified than I to solve.
Old 23rd October 2010
I never ended up solving it. The bm15as are supposed to be well shielded themselves and have worked really well in all other locations except when I brought them over to my current place. I've picked up another set of monitors (much more shielded) to get past the interference but unfortunately still haven't gotten around to selling the dynaudios. Btw, did you have this problem with your previous monitors? If you can't find a relatively simple solution for the bm15a's at your current location, I would suggest returning them and trying to demo a few sets of monitors to find out which one works for your place.
Old 28th October 2010
Here for the gear

Its very frustrating that i'll have to live with this... In my case is a little bit worst....im in Brazil... the BM15A costs me around 5K (way overpriced around here!!)...and right now i have to deal with two tech guys that are telling me that they have to build another isolation around the preamp of the speaker...and another two telling me to build a faraday cage around the studio....
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Maniac
Sorry to hear this. I couldn't afford the 15A and settled for a pair of the passive BM15 and bought a used Bryston amp. After hearing these problems, I'm glad i did. Nothing here but clean, great sound.
Doesn't Dynaudio have any advice for you?
JP
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
Your first 'port of call' should be the dealer / manufacturer with a firm but polite insistence that they help sort it out.
To me it suggests RF getting in either on the mains cabling (posibly even just inside the box) or slightly more likely from the wires that go from the internal amp to the drive units.
I would (assuming no joy from Dynaudio) clip a ferrite core onto the drive unit wires. This is a NO WIRE CUTTING excercise, only opening the box and clipping suitable cores into place.
You should also identify the station and where it's transmitter AERIAL is situated (call up the tech department of the radio station). If you are really close then desperate measures like a Faraday shield may be necessary. Keep all correspondence professional and as accurate as possible.
Matt S
Old 31st March 2011
Here for the gear

damnit, this is happening with my BM 6A's. Unfortunately, it's from a pirate station, but i have no idea as to get in touch with them. Any outcome to this thread.....thanks again.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

I had the exact same problem when I got Geithain RL922Ks. It was solved by using Neutrik connector called EMC-XLR as suggested by Geithain. (I think they even sent the cables to the local distributor ) Not sure if it would solve your problem, but it worked for me.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Hi
Lukeccc, get in touch with the FCC who regulate these things. If it is a 'pirate' station they should ultimately get their equipment confiscated by the police.
Matt S
Old 1st April 2011
Here for the gear

thanks guys. ironically, i work in radio and very PRO pirate radio station. Unfortunately these guys are encroaching on me a tad too much....I've already contacted the FCC (wonder how long it takes them resolve such issues), and Dynaudio. I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks again.
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

Hi
It is the quality, signal purity (RF) and location of the aerial system that is usually the issue.
A 'cheap' transmitter which is splashing signals outside it's allocation and probably too much power for the location that do the 'damage'. Those properly researched and installed SHOULD minimise unwanted pickup.
Matt S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search