The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end mic suggestions, besides the obvious
Old 15th June 2005
Here for the gear

High end mic suggestions, besides the obvious

I'm looking for a little help with info about new mics. What is blowing you guys away? I mean aside from the classics. And I don't mean "sounds as good as a 47!!" or "sounds indistinguishable from a vintage c12!!" And I especially don't mean "for the money, it sounds almost as good as...!!" But mics that really stand on their own. I am working with a guy who has the means to get any mic he wants, and has responded more to a few newer mics than classics. For example, after trying all of the usual suspects, we settled on a DPA 4041 for his vocals.

Don't get me wrong, I love the oldies, and I personally would rather have a u47 in my closet than a DPA, but I gotta admit, it sounds great on him. I spent a lot of time in big studios, for whom their vintage mic collection is a big selling point, but I have little experience with the new market.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

I just got a Blue Bottle, and I am absolutely blown away! You can get them new from Sweetwater for about $4,500 with a single capsule, but they really come to life when you add in a few extra capsules for them.

Great mic, price notwithstanding.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

I can endorse the DPA 4041, I love my pair (you DID get the tube version, right?). As far as the other "first call" mics in my rather eclectic collection, I like the Gefell UM75, Brauner VM1 KHE and Valvet BE, Soundelux E49 and E47 (I don't care what they may or may not sound like, I just like 'em), AEA R84, Royer SF12, and the almost unheard-of AKG C426B. For SDCs the Gefell M295s just blow me away.

Scott
Old 16th June 2005
I have a Brauner VM1, C-12, and many other kool mics. 98% of the people I've worked with LOVE the Brauner VM1.
Different mics have different characters for different people... But the most all around that I'VE experienced was the Brauner...
T
Old 16th June 2005
Here for the gear

Actually,, we do not have the tube version but the solid state has served us well.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming if you got 'em, this is definitely helpful.

By the way, this thing looks like my daughter!
Old 16th June 2005
member no 666

The Horch [pronounced "hoy-ch"] RM2J has become one of my drop dead favorites bar nothing. The first Horch mics I heard didn't floor me, but this one does... large, opulent, clear, and while it looks "reminiscent" of another of it's German sisters... the stuff inside is all different.

I'd put of a link but their website kinda blows and it's kinda gauche to put up a link to the M-A site.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
The Horch [pronounced "hoy-ch"] RM2J has become one of my drop dead favorites bar nothing. The first Horch mics I heard didn't floor me, but this one does... large, opulent, clear, and while it looks "reminiscent" of another of it's German sisters... the stuff inside is all different.
What he said ..

Also, if you can track one down, the Gefell UM75 limited edition is really nice...even if you think the UM57 is overrated. I don't know if any of the dealers in the US have any left but there is at least one floating round Europe that is still for sale.

Cheers

Vari-Mu
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

OK, I've got a really dumb question. My wife is German, we'll be heading to Germany again in the not-too-distant future. Are German mic's generally cheaper in Germany (as long as the dollar isn't too far in the dumper)?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Addict

Not as common and very fast is the Sanken CU-44x. This LDC has two membranes made of titanium and is a high-voltage mic. I find it needs to be matched with a slower back end but you will not be hurting for detail.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

all of the above suggestions......
plus, i'm really diggin' the blue mouse. it works really well on vocals that need some help. got a singer that kinda sounds "mumbly" and "thin". the mouse works fantastico.
i also have personal weekness for the manley mics, particularly the stereo gold reference. there may not be a more versatile mic in my closet than that.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69
OK, I've got a really dumb question. My wife is German, we'll be heading to Germany again in the not-too-distant future. Are German mic's generally cheaper in Germany (as long as the dollar isn't too far in the dumper)?

Thanks,
Steve
Depends: Sometimes, there are nice rebates on different models. But usually, when you walk into a regular store, I don't think so.
Here's the webpage of the german Horch-Dealer, Jean Hund. He has also the official Neumann pricelist on his page. (And a lot more) Drop him a mail and see, what's up.

http://www.akzent-audio.de/e_index-p...html~mainFrame

Very Nice guy btw
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Mag Mic by Innertube Audio.... amazing.
Old 16th June 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vari-Mu
What he said ..

Also, if you can track one down, the Gefell UM75 limited edition is really nice...even if you think the UM57 is overrated. I don't know if any of the dealers in the US have any left but there is at least one floating round Europe that is still for sale.

Cheers

Vari-Mu
I know of one dealer that has two for sale and one that you couldn't pry from their cold dead fingers [serial #69]... BTW, reading my half assed phonetic spelling of Horch on the last post it's more like "hoy-sch" sorta like Porsche with a 'hoy' on the front.

Damn German pronounciations... they spell it Neumann and pronounce it Noyman... bloody hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
IV-I!!!
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K

How much does the Mag Mic go for ?

I really like the looks of it.
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
How much does the Mag Mic go for ?

I really like the looks of it.
$3000 USD.
i wonder if U paid a bit extra if U could get the power supply built into your favourite toolbox that would also serve to transport your large diameter mag lite mic?
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by µ¿ z3®ø™
$3000 USD.
i wonder if U paid a bit extra if U could get the power supply built into your favourite toolbox that would also serve to transport your large diameter mag lite mic?

HA !

That`d be awesome !

I bet Stayne would be into that. It would go with the concept very nicely.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
IV-I!!!

Huh?
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
HA !

That`d be awesome !

I bet Stayne would be into that. It would go with the concept very nicely.

heh heh AMEN heh heh
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Coles 40/40
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

RCA BK5
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know of one dealer that has two for sale and one that you couldn't pry from their cold dead fingers [serial #69]
IV-I!!!
Hmmm.... I'd really like to know how they managed that, seeing that I bought serial #69 about a year ago from Full Compass.

Scott
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Guru

stayne made my C12VR into a Mag Mic ...... big and phat to say the least ..... thank you michael w. for selling it to me ......

peace john
Old 17th June 2005
Here for the gear

No one with any M 149 experience???

Makes my thin boby ovation sound like the finest Taylor...JT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search