The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Suggestions on replacing a C800G
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Head

Suggestions on replacing a C800G

I have a C800g for my project studio. It is my only vocal mic. Like most people who have used this mic, when it works for a singer its great, but it can also be not so good for others. I have tried different pres with it and have found my 737sp and the Vipre work the best with it. I know I should try to get other mics to compliment the color of the C800g, but unfortunately I don't have the budget. I'm thinking of selling the mic to possibly get maybe a few mics. I record mostly R&B/Pop. 85% of my vocal recordings are female. I have somewhat narrowed down my choices to the following combinations: the Soundelux U99 and Ifet7, the E47 and Brauner Phantom or the Ifet7, Brauner Phantom, TLM103, and the AT4060. Any other suggestions of mics or combinations would be much appreciated!
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

Lawson L47 would be another one to consider. And maybe something with a U67-ish sound. (Would the U99 be in that category?)

The AT4060 is a nice value - will sound good on a lot of stuff even if it doesn't totally blow you away on anything.

You may find that in some situations what you really need is am RE20, SM7, or Sennheiser 441. Don't ignore the possibilities of dynamics, and the prices are friendlier.
Old 29th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Check out the Blue Kiwi and Cactus, they´re great mics for female vocals! Smooth big and phaaaat!!
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

check out the microtech geffell mics, some of them have the same sort of Neumann M7 capsule
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear
I/d like to second the Lawson L47, I have the pres you mentioned and the l47 and the vipre or vintech are my favs lately.
I have the tlm103, I think its ok for the money, but I going to invest in the beta 58 and the sm7 for some extra dynamics.
I just recorded a girl with an sm57 going into a pheonix drs doing scratch vox and didn't have time to do real vox, I was blown away how awesome it sounded at mix time.
So I have a renewed interest in dynamics, guess it just goes to show, more is better!
daniel
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have a couple of different Microtech Gefell (UMT800 and UM70s) mics, and they have a little too much upper midrange hype (for vocals) for my taste, although the 800 is certainly one of the coolest LOOKING mics I own. I use them on instruments more than vocals. Others (who like that sound) might find them more useful.

I too am getting back to using more dynamics these days. One male rock singer recently told me to put away everything else after he auditioned my RE27.
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

Where's Thrill factor when u need him....

I had an 800G and it did not give me the woody ithought it would so i ditched it and got me a Manley MU and pultecs (which i didnt like either but thats another story for another nite).

Thrill mentioned previously in another thread about the 800G thats its sensitive to the pre's loading characteristics. He seemed to think that it worked better with 1081 class A/B than 1073 Class a types, so choose ya pre carefully before ditching the mic as it really is a good mic and a fave for what you are doing etc.. like as he said its the 'Go to' mic for a lot of engineers in that genre as it cuts through all the autotuned crap..lol..heh . Suffice to say you have the VIPRE which from many accounts is a kik ass bit of kit and should be able to load up fine with ya 800G.

Do a search on the 800G and u should be able to dig up some cool info.

As to what to recommend as a replacement, mics really are something that u need to hear and makeup your own mind about. Me i rekon u cant go past a GOOD u47 for most applications.

Hope u find the right mic..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 30th March 2003
Gear Head

Thanks for all the great suggestions and information.
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm a big 800 fan. If it doesn't seem to be the right mic for the task at hand, I've found the U47 FET works great as a mic with a different sound, but doesn't feel like a step down. I own a 47fet, but if I was to buy a new one, I'd probably go with the Soundelux version for more flexibility.
Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hands down, the Blue Bottle is your most versatile choice for a vocal mic. For $3750, you get an amazing microphone. For 750 each, you can add 8 other capsules to it, 2 of them vocal capsules. It comes with a 67 capsule, there is 47 capsule, and a scooped-mid 251-ish capsule. It can take any vocal level you throw at it and everything sounds great- just vaguely aim it at a source and you will feel like a great engineer. You should not buy a vocal mic without trying it.
Old 30th March 2003
Re: Suggestions on replacing a C800G

Quote:
Originally posted by epicenter800
I have a C800g for my project studio. It is my only vocal mic. Like most people who have used this mic, when it works for a singer its great, but it can also be not so good for others. I have tried different pres with it and have found my 737sp and the Vipre work the best with it. I know I should try to get other mics to compliment the color of the C800g, but unfortunately I don't have the budget. I'm thinking of selling the mic to possibly get maybe a few mics. I record mostly R&B/Pop. 85% of my vocal recordings are female. I have somewhat narrowed down my choices to the following combinations: the Soundelux U99 and Ifet7, the E47 and Brauner Phantom or the Ifet7, Brauner Phantom, TLM103, and the AT4060. Any other suggestions of mics or combinations would be much appreciated!
Unfortuantely all of the great female vocal mics are expensive. Elam 251,Neuman M49, Sony C37,C12,RCA.

But sometimes the cheaper one's are just the ticket:Nemann CMV,Beyer,SM7,U87,414EB,SM57,RE20.

I think your best bet is to rent what you need instead of buying an expensive one(especially if you will only use it occasionally). If I were going to buy an all arounder(something with signature,name and easy to EQ) it would probably be a U67.

Yeah, the Sony requires the right pre. I liked the 1081 and an API 312(with the original transformers). Also it sounds the best in omni(the proximity effect evens out). But this requires that you have a nice isolation room.
Old 31st March 2003
Re: Suggestions on replacing a C800G

Quote:
Originally posted by epicenter800
I have somewhat narrowed down my choices to the following combinations: the Soundelux U99 and Ifet7, the E47 and Brauner Phantom or the Ifet7, Brauner Phantom, TLM103, and the AT4060. Any other suggestions of mics or combinations would be much appreciated!
All of those are going to work fine in general, and at this stage of the game it's best to get two mics that are complementary (i.e. mostly different) and that are workhorse utility types rather than being specialized. I think the iFET7 is definitely one of the most widest usage microphones I've had the pleasure of using. Personally, I would go for something like a Royer 122 (I have found the 122 to be a little better on vocals than the 121) in addition to the iFET7, since they are very different but can cover a lot of territory sonically, depending on the voice. They both can double as very versatile instrument mics for anything that may come your way (including traditional R&B instruments like horns, electric guitars, bass & drums). Good luck to you.
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

try some pres

I've never used the Sony but have always heard good things about it. I think you should try some different mic pres.
It always takes some mucking around to find the right combo for the right voice. I was about to ditch my C12 (everyone was sounding better through
the Manley Gold Ref, Lawson or a variety of Neumanns). One day (after not using it for a year)
I plugged the C12 into my Requisite PAL and be bang, the singer lit up and she used that combo for the record on most songs. I saved some money too.
good luck,
chap
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear
I a/b'ed teh Sony 800g and Neumann M149 on a male tenor. Neumann was much more friendly in the high end particularly, although we ended up using an AKG 535EB . Just goes to show, expensive is not always better.
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by robdarling
Hands down, the Blue Bottle is your most versatile choice for a vocal mic. It comes with a 67 capsule, there is 47 capsule, and a scooped-mid 251-ish capsule.
The Blue Bottle I tried (with whatever the stock capsule is) sounded nothing like any of those mics. Nobody else thought so either.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

-R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search