The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VINTECH 609CA
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

VINTECH 609CA

Hey guys,
Have any of you ever used a Vintech 609CA compressor yet?
It seems like a cheaper alternative to a Neve 33609...
How does it sound like? What does it sound good with? Could it be used as a 2 bus comp?
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

bump
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Contact Nathan Eldred from Atlas pro audio about it.
Use the search function and you'll see he not only sells it but has experience with it too.

Greetz,

Paul
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Why did we bump up a 3 and a half year old thread for this question? What page must this have been on....
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

I use one on every day where I work. The unit has a really fat tone. We use it on Stereo bus with great results. Used to own 2254's and the tone is close.
Of course nothing sounds exctly like 2254's.

I have yet to use it on individual sources but I'm pretty sure it's gonna perform well for these tasks.
Old 31st January 2009
It's rich and colored, without losing the high freq extension. It's got a similar tone to a 2254, but with the controllability of a 33609. Best of both worlds.
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

Used it for about 2 weeks... I wish owned the damn thing !
It certainly be used as a 2 bus comp (although that question is 4 years old) as it can be awesome on everything you through at him. (I actually only tryed it on Vocal, electric guits and OH, but rocked that real hard ! )
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

I rented it for a month a while ago, and it was pretty good....but still no Neve. Is it worth paying more for the Neve? Probably not.
If that makes any sense.
Old 1st February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
but still no Neve.
It's funny, I've sat there for hours comparing 609CA head to head with a 33609. And yes they are quite different. The 33609 was significantly less colored than the Vintech and also brighter than the Vintech (maybe around 8khz or so emphasized). But I preferred the 609CA just because of the round color it adds. But the subjective preference aside, I didn't hear the 33609 as doing anything at all better than the Vintech. The way the envelope of the compressor acted was basically the same between the two units. But the tone is so different that it's like saying a John Hardy is better than a Telefunken V72 (or vice versa).
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the info guys. I bumped this thread because I couldn't find any user feedback on how this compares to the new AMS Neve 33609 JD.

Seems the AMS Neve 33609 JD is a hot item. Just wondering why there is very few raving about the vintech comp? I do like their X series preamps.

I am debating on buying an AMS Neve 33609 JD or save a grand on the vintech if its close enough. Like to hear any feedback with these two nice compressors. Is it worth spending a $1000+ for a AMS Neve 33609 JD? Or is the vintech good enough for the neve compressor thing?

I realize there is many versions of the Neve 33609. J, J/D, C, etc. From my research, seems the original Neve 33609 (metal knobs) and the JD are the ones to get. Then you have a few here say there is no sonic difference between the revisions. So, I am still trying to find the best buy for a Neve compressor.

I would like to use it on the 2 bus.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
It's funny, I've sat there for hours comparing 609CA head to head with a 33609. And yes they are quite different. The 33609 was significantly less colored and brighter. But I preferred the 609CA just because of the round color it adds. But the subjective preference aside, I didn't hear the 33609 as doing anything at all better than the Vintech. The way the envelope of the compressor acted was basically the same between the two units. But the tone is so different that it's like saying a John Hardy is better than a Telefunken V72 (or vice versa).
I'm not saying the Vintech is worst, I'm just saying that it doesnt have the Neve tone....yet I would still buy the vintech over the Neve...as you mentionned it's pretty "round" sounding.
Hope that helps.
Old 2nd February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
I'm not saying the Vintech is worst, I'm just saying that it doesnt have the Neve tone....yet I would still buy the vintech over the Neve...as you mentionned it's pretty "round" sounding.
Hope that helps.
Were you comparing the tone to a 33609 or a 2254 (or both)?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

i own one here along side many high end comps...........i absolutely love this comp.....thick and goey and alot of depth to it.....make everything i put through it sound better...............i have been using it on drums, bass mostly but have used it on vox,gtrs,bass and 2 buss .works great both tracking and mix duties...............i know there is quite abit of Vintech bashing on this forum but this comp is wonderful sounding and very well made.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Were you comparing the tone to a 33609 or a 2254 (or both)?
Both !
Old 25th September 2010
Cool to find discussions about 609 CA vintech .
i own ; use and abuse their x73 i pre and love it ...
it s been a long time i m wondering bout this comp ...
pretty difficult to find vintech gear in europe ... if somebody wants to send some sound samples it would be great ....

MORDICUS
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah.... I think I'm going to spring for this unit first...... before venturing into the 2254R....... Considering the Vintech is stereo for just a couple hundred more.

I've also used the Chandler LTD-2 a bit, but you don't hear much about that unit anymore...... Hell.. I can't even remember if I liked it or not..

I like Vintech!
Old 25th September 2010
hi tapehiss
in fact ; i m considering the same units as u are ... vintech 609 ca ? chandler ltd 2 ? 2 2254r NEVE ? 2 chandler germanium ?
something not too dark but creamy, or at least with color .
it has to be fast enough for 2 buss ...
so again ; if somebody has some of those machines ; has a bit of time to process mixes ; blah blah blah ...and post samples ....

MORDICUS
Old 25th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
it has to be fast enough for 2 buss ...

MORDICUS
Why would you need to this to be fast?

If its too fast on the 2 buss you'll hear it clamping down.
Old 26th September 2010
HI THRILLFACTOR
u re right ... as i don t have no infos or specs on the 609 ca vintech ; i just hope specs are the same as 33609 neve ...
fast enough means 5ms to 10 ms for me ...
english is not my native language ... i might have written things another way ...
more comments guys ???
MORDICUS
Old 26th September 2010
The Vintech is perfect for two bus, depending on what you want to hear. You can set it to let transients through with a slow attack/medium to fast release or clamp and pump (with the opposite settings) if you want.
Old 15th October 2010
thanks nathan for all the inputs on the 609 CA ....
i ve visited atlas pro audio website ... very cool ....
as for the vintech i ll have to wait before buyin it ....my studio and my skills builds slowly ... tons to learn ; discovering tons ; so tons to buy ...
day will come to play with one and buy one ...

MORDICUS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search