The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sony C800G
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Sony C800G

Was wondering if anyone has the Frequency Chart for this mic? And also where I can get hold of it?
Old 29th December 2008
Gear Addict

I found this on the Microphone Data site, here's the link to their site. You have to setup an login account. It's a great site for present day mics.
Microphone Data

I attached the PDF for you.
rjacobsen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pdf.pdf (152.6 KB, 943 views)
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Now I see why they don't make it readily available.
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Oh good lord that's such a huge HF lift!! People complain bout the TLM 103's lift!! Hmm. I still am interested in hearing one though; especially in a mix on a CD.
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

go too tony chepard site if you need a more raw comparision.

if you need a full blown mix with a c800g just listen too cris brown,avant....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH View Post
Oh good lord that's such a huge HF lift!! People complain bout the TLM 103's lift!! Hmm. I still am interested in hearing one though; especially in a mix on a CD.
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

I love this Mic!!! not for Rock etc.. but for Pop ,Hip Hop and R&B it's one of the best and most widely used.Great mic but way overpriced
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

I love that mic. I just think its a bit too overpriced. Interesting to see the chart. Now I know why I liked it on female vox in omni mode.
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

The OMNI graph on the PDF is depicting 180 degrees not 0 degree. Also, it is not showing the complete picture notice that the graph is not from Sony.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C-800G Frequency Response.pdf (214.0 KB, 395 views)
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Not good information

And the mention that the C800G is similar to the C800 but with a peltier effect cooling

system is just plain wrong . Those two microphones don't share the same capsule and

are quite different .
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
just listen to any r&b song and most major label hip hop songs over past decade.

perfect companion for 1073- rounds it off nicely on top and gives a little oomph down low. Rarely have to eq any vocal tracks- except cuts.

but i know some who use it with avalon 737. never liked that combo.
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I love this Mic!!! not for Rock etc.. but for Pop ,Hip Hop and R&B it's one of the best and most widely used.Great mic but way overpriced
A maybach or a RR is also over priced, still the best limo cars build ever period with a status from LA over NY to Tokyo. You pay the price for it. And in the way if you work with projects that are going be big a 6000euro mic is nothing compared to all the publicity, on-air plugin etc, etc.
In our POV of being "homestudio"/"pro-studio" (not the big bigger biggest 1980's studio's with 10miles long ssl/neve desk's studio time's) im with you, its to overpriced for what it is. Its about your discpline and pov of "what is important/pricey".
Still its a ridiculous good mic for pop/rnb music production on the moment.
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia View Post
And the mention that the C800G is similar to the C800 but with a peltier effect cooling

system is just plain wrong . Those two microphones don't share the same capsule and

are quite different .
+1 they are indeed different MICs!!
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
just listen to any r&b song and most major label hip hop songs over past decade.

perfect companion for 1073- rounds it off nicely on top and gives a little oomph down low. Rarely have to eq any vocal tracks- except cuts.

but i know some who use it with avalon 737. never liked that combo.
I agree. The 1073 darkness it's a great to smooth the edge of the C800G. I add a touch of cl1b compression as well. No eq needed-except cuts of course

I use to hate the 737/C800G combo too. One day I've tried it on backgrounds vocals.. Man, there is nothing better for RnB stacks IMO.
Old 30th December 2008
Gear Nut

wow, precisely the freqs i always have to cut! lol.

this mic is great but not on most people.
Old 31st December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dolly Parton's bluegrass albums from a few years ago used the C800G and sound fabulous!

Interesting to see the 10k peak but the dip around 5k - lots of shimmering highs but no piercing sibilance. No wonder! But seeing that curve I would not buy it if I didn't know what it really sounded like.

Thanks for posting it!

Lou
Old 31st December 2008
Lives for gear

listen to Return of Saturn by No Doubt. i believe it was the mic they used on Gwen's vox for that record. i'm not sure what pre was used, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search