The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
pcm96 or m7
Old 29th December 2008
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
pcm96 or m7

I've got a farily high-end studio and I've been in the market for a new reverb; it's narrowed down to the Lexicon PCM 96 and the Bricasti M7. I've read everything about each of these that I possibly can (on this site and elsewhere), but now I'm more confused than ever. I just need some fresh perspectives now that both these units have been out for awhile.

I should also mention that I don't care about DAW capabilities and all that, since I record all my effects upfront so they're set in stone (strange these days, I know, but it's just a personal choice). I know the Bricasti is often seen as the ultimate reverb, given its realism and so on, but does the PCM 96 have similar capabilities? Also, does the M7 have any delay patches? So many questions!!! A little feedback would be great. Thanks.

-Scott
Old 29th December 2008
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
With a purchase that important to your productions, I'd say look for a dealer that can sell you both, allowing you to return one after you make a decision. Personally, I have the 96 and am very happy with it. Try both and then decide. thumbsup
Old 29th December 2008
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Look up...

It says The High End Forumn.

The answer to your question is you buy both. Each strength over laps the other.

Where the Bricasti excels in realism and rooms that blend into the mix, the PCM 96 has the sound of an effect when you need it to pop out of your mix.

Sorta the argument people made in the 80's about the Quantec and a Lexicon.

So the answer is you buy both and don't worry about it.
Old 29th December 2008 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ketchup or mustard? Should I get both? Of course, unless you only like one.

I think it is clear by TONS of posts on GS that these two reverbs are DIFFERENT.

Is there a foodslutz, where someone says, "should I put mustard or ketchup on my burger" and then asks the advice of others, as if other people can answer this question? Yet it happens here A LOT. (Sorry - had a long day.)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have the pcm96 love it to death big fat warm depth i dont care if it sounds real it has a vibe and it is cool. I would like to listan to the m7 i think i will soon try to get it on demo.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm not asking anyone which one to buy, just looking for opinions/perspectives from those who actually OWN the gear. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that one of the key purposes of this site? To discuss gear? haha

Anyway, I don't need to buy both right now; I'd rather put the extra money elsewhere. I was just wondering: does the PCM96 have any presets that emulate the M7 and its supposedly unique sound? Incidentally, I heard it does a pretty impressive 480. Also, does the Bricasti have any delay patches?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't own either but I would say if you have a great convolution reverb the Lexicon would be a better complement since the convol is a clean open reverb.
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have both. Like thrill said you need both.

If you can't buy both, then I guess it boils down to what you want to use it for and the style of music. In my pop / rock / gospel / techno worlds it's this -

For me I like the lexicon on vocals a LOT

I like the bricasti on instruments a LOT

That's how I tend to use mine 90% of the time.

I don't see the lexi emulating the bricasti or vice versa. Also the bricasti doesn't have delays flangers choruses etc like the lexi does.

Believe it or not if I could have only one, for the music styles and such that I work mostly on it would be the 96.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It's starting to sound like the Lexicon is the way to go. BTW- I've heard people say the Bricasti sits in the mix better than the 96. Is this an opinion shared by many or is just something M7 enthusiasts say?
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacious View Post
Is this an opinion shared by many
they both sit in my mixes just fine... if they aren't sitting right then I mix until they do
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
You can save a considerable amount of loot by just picking up a great used reverb.... there are some killer deals out there now, it's ridiculous... look for a used TC Reverb 4000 or Kurzweil KSP8 or PCM91 etc. When used "correctly", any of these units will kick serious butt. I use all of `em (including the M7) and they ALL do the job, all excellent stuff... I couldn't say one is "better" than another, they all have their own strong points, you can make a stellar mix with any one of these (assuming you got the skillz). heh
Old 1st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Look up...

It says The High End Forumn.

The answer to your question is you buy both. Each strength over laps the other.

Where the Bricasti excels in realism and rooms that blend into the mix, the PCM 96 has the sound of an effect when you need it to pop out of your mix.

Sorta the argument people made in the 80's about the Quantec and a Lexicon.

So the answer is you buy both and don't worry about it.
Agreed... I bought the Bricasti - freakin amazing... then got the PCM96 and it is very nice - different the the Bricasti and very useful.... they are definitely not the same and compliment each other nicely at mixtime...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was just wondering: does the PCM96 have any presets that emulate the M7 and its supposedly unique sound?
i didn't hear any when i heard it.

Quote:
Incidentally, I heard it does a pretty impressive 480. Also, does the Bricasti have any delay patches?
not now but Bricasti is supposed to be coming out with some effect-type algos. can't wait to hear those. if you listen to both PCM96 and Bricasti you'll see they're very different animals. as i've said before if we didn't already have a 480L i'd get a PCM96. love the M7.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
does the PCM96 have any presets that emulate the M7 and its supposedly unique sound?
I've heard that it does. There's a patch called EM7 (I believe that's it) which sounds a bit different than the average 96 patch. That could be the one specifically meant to sound like the Bricasti.

Lovin' my 96! I also love the sounds I've heard from the M7.

I think it holds true that if you need to focus on realism, the Bricasti is the way to go. For the typical lush Lex sound, or effects (delay included), the 96.

The Bricasti is rumored to receive delays in the upcoming update.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
ican't wait to hear those.

-Casey
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

-Casey
Old 2nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
After a lot of research, I e-mailed Bricasti with a few questions and Brian got back to me immediately (which is very reassuring, in terms of company support /availability, etc.) and addressed all my concerns. I listened to every sample I could find, evaluated my personal needs and finally, the next day, ordered a Bricasti M7. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning at 10:30 and I'm so excited I can't stand it! I wish I could just do away with the next 12 hours.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
...ordered a Bricasti M7.
Congrats! Let us know how you like it.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

-Casey
Cmon Casey, give it up!!!
AM

BTW, the list of movies the M7 is used on is getting seriously long
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Its worth it to have both.
I'd love to have 2 M7's .
nothing beats em for fixing up dead lifeless garage recordings.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
After a lot of research, I e-mailed Bricasti with a few questions and Brian got back to me immediately (which is very reassuring, in terms of company support /availability, etc.) and addressed all my concerns.
they're committed, no doubt. there are some companies where it's a pleasure to purchase their product, because:

a) it's good.
b) you feel you're somehow helping a good cause.

Bricasti is one of them.

Quote:
I listened to every sample I could find, evaluated my personal needs and finally, the next day, ordered a Bricasti M7. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning at 10:30 and I'm so excited I can't stand it! I wish I could just do away with the next 12 hours.
congrats bro. i've yet to hear of anyone who's regretted buying an M7.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the Lexicon 96. It sounds great BUT until Lexicon provides PC support, it is a ripoff to PC users to have 1/2 the unit that mac users have. So if you have a PC, please buy the M7.

And Lexicon - I hope you are reading this, I am encouraging everyone to buy the
M7, until you spend the resources you should have to begin with, making the same deal for PC users that you make for Mac users. No excuses. Simply unacceptable.
Old 3rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
And Lexicon - I am encouraging everyone to buy the M7, until you spend the resources you should have to begin with, making the same deal for PC users that you make for Mac users. No excuses. Simply unacceptable.
Side note: I've never had the need to hook any reverb unit up to a computer, this functionality is meaningless to me. In fact, if I thought I had to connect a reverb unit to a computer to edit etc, I wouldn't want it.

For me, the great beauty of a stand-alone reverb box is the ability to just turn it on, dial in a great preset, maybe do a few minor tweaks (edits) using the buttons on the front... done.

This is one reverb user's take on it anyway FWIW.

I love the M7 and I love my older Lexicons and I love my TCs and my KSP8... all great stuff. Have yet to hear the PCM96 but if it sounds great I would not hesitate to pick one up.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Your post is understandable. However, the difference with the Lexicon PCM 96 connected to a computer (at least with Mac right now) is that you double the unit when it is hooked up to a computer as opposed to standalone. But they decided to only give this "two-for-one" deal to Mac users only.

If it were not for the ability to double the unit's ability, I could careless about hooking up to a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
Side note: I've never had the need to hook any reverb unit up to a computer, this functionality is meaningless to me. In fact, if I thought I had to connect a reverb unit to a computer to edit etc, I wouldn't want it.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
...the difference with the Lexicon PCM 96 connected to a computer (at least with Mac right now) is that you double the unit when it is hooked up to a computer as opposed to standalone...
Wow... wasn't aware of that.

AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
But only on a Mac. That is the rub. So frankly, I wish I bought the Bricasti instead. I thought by now Lexicon would have made software for the PCM96 to work with a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
Wow... wasn't aware of that.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There has also been some discussion regarding whether the PCM 96 sounds as good over the firewire as it does in AES mode. My comparisons with early firmware seemed to indicate greater lushness in AES.

After struggling with mine in buggy firewire mode for a while, I've given up and mixed my last 2 projects in single stereo AES.

When I get some time to fool with it, I'll probably try it once more in in firewire with the latest firmware update. I would love to have a second stereo verb available.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
And Lexicon - I hope you are reading this, I am encouraging everyone to buy the M7, until you spend the resources you should have to begin with, making the same deal for PC users that you make for Mac users. No excuses. Simply unacceptable.
Thankfully, high end reverb users/buyers aren't dumb enough to apply your senseless rationale when making their decision about reverb, so no one will be moved by it.

But you've once again found a thread where you can try to get Lexicon to listen, assuming they'll be fearful of your quest to sway people into an M7 because "PC users don't get the same bonus functionality", and so Lexicon will restructure their company. Good luck with that quest.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I thought by now Lexicon would have made software for the PCM96 to work with a PC.
I thought by now Eventide would have made editing software for my Mac. 10 years and waiting...
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Really - have you done a poll? My goal is to get Lexicon to realize it is in their economic interest to develop full use of their great sound reverb unit for PC users.

And we get to vote in the U.S. at the polls and with our money. Apparently, just asking Lexicon to do this has not worked.

I would like Lexicon to succeed here. But they have to be losing sales by only offering 1/2 the unit for PC users that they offer for Mac users. That is only common sense.

I have no connection with Bricasti or Lexicon. I only have Lexicon reverbs.

What is your goal? What is your connection with Lexicon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Thankfully, high end reverb users/buyers aren't dumb enough to apply your senseless rationale when making their decision about reverb, so no one will be moved by it.

But you've once again found a thread where you can try to get Lexicon to listen, assuming they'll be fearful of your quest to sway people into an M7 because "PC users don't get the same bonus functionality", and so Lexicon will restructure their company. Good luck with that quest.
πŸ“ Reply