The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Reference Cardioid - tube swap Condenser Microphones
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

There are two designs for the Manley Reference Mic. The older design uses the 6072. I was told they are pretty rare.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
There are two designs for the Manley Reference Mic. The older design uses the 6072. I was told they are pretty rare.
Correct - we now use 12AX7EH's in our mics, due to supply issues. Same thing with the Variable Mu using 5670's (or 6BA6's) instead of 6386's like in the past. As mentioned before, we have to be able to support our gear, and providing a constant stream of mic-grade 6072s or Telefunkens or what-have-you would be a giant financial commitment and general pain in the @$$...we also think the current production version sound great as-is. Personal preference, really.

With that said, it IS possible to convert a 12AX7-based RefCard to use a 6072, if you're dying to do so. Not a giant task if you're a competent tech. Email/call us for details if you're interested...just remember, we can't supply you with those tubes - but if you want to seek out your own, go forth!
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisD View Post
Correct - we now use 12AX7EH's in our mics, due to supply issues. Same thing with the Variable Mu using 5670's (or 6BA6's) instead of 6386's like in the past. As mentioned before, we have to be able to support our gear, and providing a constant stream of mic-grade 6072s or Telefunkens or what-have-you would be a giant financial commitment and general pain in the @$$...we also think the current production version sound great as-is. Personal preference, really.

With that said, it IS possible to convert a 12AX7-based RefCard to use a 6072, if you're dying to do so. Not a giant task if you're a competent tech. Email/call us for details if you're interested...just remember, we can't supply you with those tubes - but if you want to seek out your own, go forth!
I just knew you were most likely using Electro-Harmonix tubes in those. It's hard to find a better sounding 12AX7 than an EH. In fact, my favorite EL34s and 6V6s are EHs.
Old 8th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Is it the Ref C that is supposed to most closely resemble an 800G?
I would like to know where did you read that the Manley Cardioid is supposed to closely resemble the Sony 800G?. LOL They are two very different mosnters . IMHO Manley is way better mic!
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxPro View Post
I would like to know where did you read that the Manley Cardioid is supposed to closely resemble the Sony 800G?. LOL They are two very different mosnters . IMHO Manley is way better mic!
It was here on GS, of course, but I can't find the thread. Several people chimed in and said it would qualify as a "poor man's 800G." Only on GS is a $3,000 mic the "cheap" option!
Old 8th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxPro View Post
a lot of people on here claim that the manley ref is very similar to a c800g
Old 29th May 2014
Lives for gear

Reviving old thread here, is anyone else out there still swapping out tubes in 2014? What tonal variances and preferences do you have?
Old 29th May 2014
Gear Addict
Would like to know the best options available too.
Old 29th May 2014
Lives for gear

As already established in here, throw in a Tele 12AX7 and be done with it.
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Reviving old thread here, is anyone else out there still swapping out tubes in 2014? What tonal variances and preferences do you have?
...if you haven't already read this thread, do so:

Manley Reference Cardiod Tube Mod Demonstration
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

I would check with manley and some other tube microphone companies an tell them what you are after as far as sound.Also ask some of they guys that just sell tubes on the internet .
Old 30th May 2014
Gear Addict
FWIW, yes, I know it's not the same mic, but I have a Manley Reference Gold and I wouldn't touch it. It sounds sublime. Nice full bottom end, lower mids, and a beautiful, open top end. It's open, air-ey, sonic personality is perfect for my bluegrass vocals. Haven't tried it on any of my acoustic instruments yet, although I'm going to try some M/S recording of my acoustic guitars and mandolin using the MRG and my Royer R 122.

Anyway, I've read countless reviews and comments regarding the Manley Reference mic you're using and they were overwhelmingly positive. I would seek close guidance from Manley Support before experimenting with any tube changes. BTW, tube experimentation is not a foreign subject to me. I was the tube experimenting King of the Congo when I owned a whole stable of vintage and vintage based tube guitar amps. I was constantly re-tubing and re-biasing. Contact Manley Support. My 2 cents.

Tom
Old 30th May 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
As already established in here, throw in a Tele 12AX7 and be done with it.

Dizzy, that sounds simple but no two Tele 12AX 7s are alike. That's one of the reasons for re-biasing. I re-biased a number of guitar amps but I wouldn't know where to start on a mic power source. That's why I would visit with Manley Support. JMHO, YMMV.

Tom
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1012 View Post
Dizzy, that sounds simple but no two Tele 12AX 7s are alike. That's one of the reasons for re-biasing. I re-biased a number of guitar amps but I wouldn't know where to start on a mic power source. That's why I would visit with Manley Support. JMHO, YMMV.

Tom
Well, that's why I also wouldn't suggest grabbing them blindly off eBay. I would highly suggest paying the bit of extra money to grab one off of Bowie, who thoroughly tests all of his tubes, has a machine that tests his tubes and rates them with numbers and all of that science stuff we probably don't know much about. So an old NOS Tele 12AX7, off of him, would be close enough to bias them IMO. Couldn't be happier with the tubes I've got off of him for my Ref C and CL1B.
Old 2nd June 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
It was here on GS, of course, but I can't find the thread. Several people chimed in and said it would qualify as a "poor man's 800G." Only on GS is a $3,000 mic the "cheap" option!
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael kennedy View Post
a lot of people on here claim that the manley ref is very similar to a c800g
Just for clarification, the Ref C sounds nothing like a C800-G.

My best guess is that someone got the Ref C and the Gold confused when repeating second hand information. A Gold to C800-G comparison would make more sense.
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Just for clarification, the Ref C sounds nothing like a C800-G.

My best guess is that someone got the Ref C and the Gold confused when repeating second hand information. A Gold to C800-G comparison would make more sense.
Tony, how would you describe the sound of the Ref C?
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hey guys I had a Tung-Sol Russian 12AT7 tube in my manley... is that normal?
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, this is what the newer ones come equipped with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search