The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How To Mic a Japanesse Drum??
Old 23rd December 2008
Gear Addict

How To Mic a Japanesse Drum??

Im recording someone in a few days that wants to lay down a taiko drum and ive never recorded one before.
Is there anyway thats best to record them?He said the drum is around 27 inches if this helps
Im gussing not to close mic it cos what ive heard of these drums it seems the room mics are doing all the work and close micing would probley make it too thin
Thanks
Old 23rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Try micing close to where the beater hits the drum...maybe a 421
Then another mic on the other side with the phase flipped. (Maybe another 421)
Then a third mic..maybe a nice one, somewhere in the room that sounds good to your ear.
Old 23rd December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by finlove View Post
Im recording someone in a few days that wants to lay down a taiko drum and ive never recorded one before.
Is there anyway thats best to record them?He said the drum is around 27 inches if this helps
Im gussing not to close mic it cos what ive heard of these drums it seems the room mics are doing all the work and close micing would probley make it too thin
Thanks
Large diaphragm condenser (M49 or M50)... you shouldn't need a close mic. I'd place the mic about 12 to 15 feet away on a starbird.

Rail
Old 23rd December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I did a session this past fall with a taiko drummer. Tricky beasts. I wish I had more time to experiment with mic position, as I would've tried some closer spots, and maybe some dynamics. Ended up with 414 EB's about 3 feet back and 45 degrees, hyper card, pointed at where she was hitting. I also had another room pair about 10 feet back.

The mix from my session is online, though it was done in the middle of the night and has since been revised (more compression! ha.) There's also a pic of the mics/drums. Go to the tab for WEEK 15.

Record of the Week Club
Lives for gear

Capturing the mondo low frequencies of these drums is difficult, partly because many monitoring systems can't accurately reproduce them. I'd recommend including some extended frequency omnis like Earthworks somewhere in the room. And make sure all the high-pass filters are off!
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the suggestions guys
Lives for gear

For low-end, check the 47 FET... It can handle's alot in the low freq.
Lives for gear

i've never done this, but i know that the sound of the japanese drums are for a big part connected with the room they are played in.

I wouldn't use to much close micing, but rather a neutral high bandwith condensor in omni (maybe a stereo pair) on a certain distance to catch that room (make it a good one pls). Maybe some close mic'ing from where the drum is hit by the player, but that should only be to adjust the roomsound.
Lives for gear

I once used a ribbon about 6ft above the taiko and got great results
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

Did this about 10 years ago. Used two EV RE20s and a AKG 414.

Placed the two RE20s to each side directly pointing across the front heads from about 5 ft. away.

Put the AKG 414 15 ft from the back of the drums in Omni.

I used a phase adjuster to match them up.

Worked very well. Plenty of strike, transients and low end.
📝 Reply