The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Raising my game... Channel Strips
Old 22nd December 2008
Gear Nut

Raising my game...

Hey guys
Thinking of upgrading my low key facilities with the following:

Focusrite isa 428 pre pack

focusrite isa 430 mkII

Digidesign 003 Factory

The idea is to get a good clean gain into pro tools. Is this a good combi where the pre amps are concerned?
Old 22nd December 2008
Gear Addict

I love my Focusrite ISA 428. I'd think it'd be a great piece to upgrade to.
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Welcome
I never liked Focusrite stuff...that's just me.
The 003 I heard was much better then the 002 but I never tried it
good luck
Old 23rd December 2008
Gear Nut

Thanks for the warm welcome heh

Surely there are more guys out there using the ff pres. I had considered the drawmer 1969 dual pre, mainly to use the compressor on a stereo mix bus, but build quality and sound have been slated in the forum.

Another (dream) consideration: Avalon 737s (oooooh) just a little too pricey for a single channel!
Old 23rd December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUVMUSIC View Post
The idea is to get a good clean gain into pro tools. Is this a good combi where the pre amps are concerned?

yes, if you're into clean, those are good pre's.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey guys
Thinking of upgrading my low key facilities with the following:

Focusrite isa 428 pre pack
?
You should check out this thread :Focusrite ISA828 vs ISA428 vs ISA115HD and many more; it has the ISA 428 and several high end pres for comparison (API, NEVE, Vintech). Even has comparisons of difference impedence settings on the same pre. I think the 428 stacks up really well.

I have had a ISA 428 with the AD card for about two years now, and have been very pleased with it--works well on a lot of sources in my opinion. Does get very hot though--leave a free space on top at the very least. (but, again I have the AD card so I think that is a big part of it).
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

+1 on the 428... some people here will slag it because it's not an ISA-110 - big f*cking deal, it's still a super-nice preamp. Also +1 on the fact that it gets really hot, with or without the digicard - that adds about 3500 degrees Kelvin.

Leave a space on top AND bottom.
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Guru

desertdawg, for the next week you get your wish. it's not something i've ever done, but i see an opportunity to make my homage to a philip k. dick-esque circular redundant meta-collapse of reality back in on itself.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Latorre View Post
You should check out this thread :Focusrite ISA828 vs ISA428 vs ISA115HD and many more; it has the ISA 428 and several high end pres for comparison (API, NEVE, Vintech). Even has comparisons of difference impedence settings on the same pre. I think the 428 stacks up really well.

I have had a ISA 428 with the AD card for about two years now, and have been very pleased with it--works well on a lot of sources in my opinion. Does get very hot though--leave a free space on top at the very least. (but, again I have the AD card so I think that is a big part of it).
Cheers guys... and for that useful link (JD)!
Appears there are some badge haters out there. What surprises me most is when people give advice on gear they haven't used themselves!

Anyway, I tried an isa one with some vocals running into p/tools. What a difference in sound over and above that of the digi pre. Big and clean.

I am, however, a little worried about the isa 428 'heat' problem. Don't they fit them with sufficient heatsinks?
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome heh

Surely there are more guys out there using the ff pres. I had considered the drawmer 1969 dual pre, mainly to use the compressor on a stereo mix bus, but build quality and sound have been slated in the forum.

Another (dream) consideration: Avalon 737s (oooooh) just a little too pricey for a single channel!
Are you kidding me? For that price range I can name you a handful of preamps that'll smoke the Avalon for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I never understood what people liked about the 737, I think it's exactly what you DON'T want your tube pre to sound like.
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:

I am, however, a little worried about the isa 428 'heat' problem. Don't they fit them with sufficient heatsinks?
No idea, I just know I could cook a pop tart on the top of mine if I placed it right over the AD card (not that I have tried this or anything... )
well that might be a slight exaggeration heh

Come think of it, there was a little clip on heat sink that came with the AD card--I wonder how hot it gets without that.

I would not let it discourage you from the unit, just leave extra space. I guess if you are short on rack spaces you could place it below and above equipment that only is a few inches deep (like one of the cheap Furman Power Conditioners). That would maintain air circulation around the rear of the unit which is where the heat really seems to be in my opinion.
Just to be clear--I would only do this if I had no other choice, and mine does not run from 9 to 5 like some equip in the rack--I only turn it on when I need it (or when I am clocking to it with the 002). I know there is at least one thread here on the 428 heat issues--several years old I think, but I bet you can find it.
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
I am, however, a little worried about the isa 428 'heat' problem.

just about every piece of gear in my racks will fry an egg, with the 2500 and lil freq getting top honors.

don't sweat it, it's normal among great sounding pieces.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 24th December 2008
Lives for gear

Try the ADK ap 1 or ap2 pres.
They are modular,meaning that you can customize your unit by purchasing various tranny and op amp combos for a variety of colours.
I have two of them and for me,they are superb.
I do mostly r&b(the real stuff),pop,Gospel..in other words,realmusic and for me,they work really well.
ADK Condenser Microphones, Class A Condenser Studio Mic, Live and Broadcast, Retro-Sonic Mics, Project Studio Microphone
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
desertdawg, for the next week you get your wish. it's not something i've ever done, but i see an opportunity to make my homage to a philip k. dick-esque circular redundant meta-collapse of reality back in on itself.
Props, U! There's someone else who did the same a couple of months ago, and unless I'm mistaken, they're still sporting it... That's two that I know of so far - it's like some kind of weird mobius strip of sig lines. ROFL!

Happy holidays, bro!
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Latorre View Post
No idea, I just know I could cook a pop tart on the top of mine if I placed it right over the AD card (not that I have tried this or anything... )
well that might be a slight exaggeration heh
Not really with the 428 w/digicard... I've touched mine three times while patching in cables, and practically needed skin grafts in each instance.

OK... THAT was an exaggeration. heh
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
... I've touched mine three times while patching in cables, and practically needed skin grafts in each instance.

OK... THAT was an exaggeration. heh

Oh, it's no good... skin grafts or whatever I have to have one!

Thinking of matching the 428 with a couple of dbx 160a's. Sound good?
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Try the ADK ap 1 or ap2 pres.
They are modular,meaning that you can customize your unit by purchasing various tranny and op amp combos for a variety of colours.
I have two of them and for me,they are superb.
I do mostly r&b(the real stuff),pop,Gospel..in other words,realmusic and for me,they work really well.
ADK Condenser Microphones, Class A Condenser Studio Mic, Live and Broadcast, Retro-Sonic Mics, Project Studio Microphone
Hey Philly,

Doesn't look like there's a distributer here for the adk pres as I'm having difficulty getting a uk price Still... I'm guessing that they cost a little more than the 428, besides... I quite like the convenience of the 428 (4 in a rack + digi option). Having used the isa one I was pretty impressed.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Nut

I know this post is years old, but I thought I'd let you know what I went for.

I now have the following pres;
Avalon VT737SP
Avalon AD2022

Many thanks for all your comments!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search