The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora Audio GTQ2 version differences Dynamic Microphones
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear
Aurora Audio GTQ2 version differences

Hi Geoff or anyone else that may know. I am interested in knowing the differences between the GTQ2 MKII and MkIII versions.

Thanks.
Ollie
Old 21st December 2008
Gear Nut

GTQ2

From what I've read the only thing that differ is one extra option, 1400Hz, on the midsection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Hi Geoff or anyone else that may know. I am interested in knowing the differences between the GTQ2 MKII and MkIII versions.

Thanks.
Ollie
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear

There is also an impedance switch on the back of the Mk III for each channel. The Mk II does not have that.

I have one of each. They both sound great!
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear
Thanks for the info
Old 22nd December 2008

The MKIII has a better noise floor and more EQ points.
Old 20th May 2015
Gear Nut
Gravediggggggaz

Digging up this old thread looking for more info about this. I'm looking at a very early mk2 being sold locally (old enough to have a Phoenix Audio logo as opposed to an Aurora logo) and curious what I'd be missing out on if I got that as opposed to a new or newer used mk3.

Especially @ TonyBelmont if you're listening, can you elaborate on the noise floor difference you mentioned here (7 years ago)? My experience is that the noise floor on the mk3 is totally acceptable, but with, say, an SM7 on a relatively quiet voice I'd certainly not want it to be much louder and would rather not be precluded from using it in that way. Are we talking about 3dB difference or 20?

The seller also tells me his unit has a differently designed power supply than what's currently used - anyone know whether there was a different power supply on early GTQ's?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

The mk3 has a switching power supply. I have an mk2(also branded phoenix audio), and a while back I had the power supply updated to the new switching supply. It lowered my noise floor a bit, so that may be the only reason for the difference in noise floor, or there may be other design changes as well as far as grounding, shielding etc. I wouldnt have called the gtq2 noisy before the change, so Im sure the mk2 will serve you just fine unless you are recording really quiet sources
Old 20th May 2015

The newer PSU's were mostly an improvement in regards to reliability. But, they are quieter.

Improvements in the circuitry/ design also helped drop the noise floor... It's a noticeable difference, especially when using the EQ. The mk3 also has the additional frequency choice in the mids. And, it uses more reliable switches for the HPF, phase reverse, etc. There are literally dozens of small refinements like these.

The mk3 began production close to 15 years ago, so it's not a recent change. And, I would advise you to consider an mk3 for a quieter, more refined and more reliable piece of gear.
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Nut
Thanks for the input (and also to Geoff for the input via email). Sounds like it's probably not a significant difference in use other than the missing eq point.

I had a mk3 until recently and "downgraded" to Little Devil Pre's, which are totally excellent but aren't ideal for getting tone in 8 seconds like the Auroras. I'm gonna see if I can get where I wanna go with a pair of VP28's to go with the LD's before I commit the dough to replacing the Aurora, but it's nice to hear a range of opinions from folks in the know about the mk2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search