The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADAT lightpipe questions
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

ADAT lightpipe questions

Hey guys.

I have an Edirol FA101 interface and Im looking to getting me a Lavry DAC10 for monitoring cause Ive had it with not hearing **** properly!

I will be getting some Focal Solo6s soon so I need a good DAC.

Now getting on to my question.

I am thinking of connecting the DAC10 to my Edirol through ADAT lightpipe. Now the problem arises that I do not have a BNC wordclock in or out on the Edirol so would it be a problem to connect the DAC10 through lightpipe? Would there be clocking issues? The reason Im asking is because I thought that the clocking info was transmited through lightpipe along with the audio stream but Im not sure.

Some of you might say, "why the hell do you want to use an Edirol?"

The reason is simple. Its my first interface, thats what I have now, and until I get my Fireface 800 I need to be able to mix. Thats why I am getting a Lavry in the first place. I need a good converter and I really dont want problems. And besides, the price is right.

I appreciate any help.
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

I know nothing about the Edirol, but ADAT carries word clock information, and it is designed so that a receiver can slave its word clock to an incoming ADAT signal. Almost certainly, if the Edirol can receive ADAT input but has no word clock input, then it is capable of slaving to the clock of the inbound ADAT in this way.

hth,

-synthoid
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I know nothing about the Edirol, but ADAT carries word clock information, and it is designed so that a receiver can slave its word clock to an incoming ADAT signal. Almost certainly, if the Edirol can receive ADAT input but has no word clock input, then it is capable of slaving to the clock of the inbound ADAT in this way.

hth,

-synthoid
Awesome, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure. I dont want to change converters as I get more gear you know?
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
Almost certainly, if the Edirol can receive ADAT input but has no word clock input, then it is capable of slaving to the clock of the inbound ADAT in this way.

hth,

-synthoid
This isn't input, its output. ADAT out from Edirol to Lavry DAC10. Would the clock of the Edirol become master, because if so, I'm screwed! Thats the MAIN PROBLEM with Edirol interfaces is that the clocks are crap and the phase shift causes really bad imaging, loss of clarity in the middle and muddy, smeary high end. Thats the main reason I want a Lavry is so I dont have to deal with that anymore cause Im tired of it.

Is there any way that I can have the Lavry as the master clock(even reading this I realize its a stupid question, but worth it)? I just dont want the POS Edirol clock to mess the Lavry up. I was looking at the DAC10's features and there is something about setting it as internal clock. If I did that, would there be problems with the Sync if I had both converters on the same sample rate?
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Head

The Lavry DA10 (not DAC10) only has stereo digital audio inputs. These accept "AES3" or "IEC 60958" signals in either the "pro" format (typically carried on XLR cables) or "Consumer" format typically carried on RCA or "Toslink" optical conections (formerly known as "SPDIF").

ADAT (lightpipe) is a multichannel format that is incompatible with the stereo digital audio formats. There is a lot of confusion because the ADAT and "SPDIF" optical connections can use the same physical connection. Add to this the fact that many interfaces have optical ports that can be switched in software to transmit and receive either format (but not both at the same time!)

The Edirol FA101 has "SPDIF" connections- stereo digital connections that are not the same as "ADAT."

The DA10 always locks to the incoming digital audio signal through the "AES3/IEC 60958" inputs and has no provision for either sending or receiving Word Clock. It does an excellent job of eliminating the effects of jitter in the source signal to generate its internal clock for the actual DA conversion.

So to get the best results, all you need is an AES or SPDIF source and the right cable (or fiber optic interconnect). You can make whatever works best in your system the master clock, and the DA10 will work well with any AES or SPDIF source.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search