The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NPNG preamp, quick review
Old 20th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
roundbadge,
i heared the NPNG next to v72s, 1084 and lmnopres and liked the NPNG VERY much.
just some positive vibration for your gearslut heart. :-)

Yeah I should just get a pair from Mercenary and give em a go at some point
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Got any mix samples?
love to hear some stuff done w/ the NPNG's
I´ve only been producing for a client since I got the NPNG so I don´t have anything I can send out yet. I will post something as soon as I have something I can post without getting in trouble.
Old 20th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I´ve only been producing for a client since I got the NPNG so I don´t have anything I can send out yet. I will post something as soon as I have something I can post without getting in trouble.
thumbsup thnx
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

it seems from what ive been reading on this thread that you need a pretty good sounding room to use this pre...am I correct?
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Don't all pre's deserve a good sounding room?

Brad
Old 25th February 2009
Gear Addict

True but a fair question. Some, myself included, have treated our rooms as best we could given space, asthetic limitations and now can happily enjoy some room tone but must be cautious about how much we are "forced" to endure.
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
it seems from what ive been reading on this thread that you need a pretty good sounding room to use this pre...am I correct?
I guess any quality piece of recording equipment will reveal a bad sounding room, so in that case yes. Same goes for other quality preamps.
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

It resembles me to DACS that is very fast mic pre, very true to source.
It's quite rare and I had just one occasion to hear it.

Is it real competitor to Gordon and Forssel pres?
Are they sold directly from manufacturer?
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
It resembles me to DACS that is very fast mic pre, very true to source.
It's quite rare and I had just one occasion to hear it.

Is it real competitor to Gordon and Forssel pres?
Are they sold directly from manufacturer?
Personally, I'd put the NPNG in another league from the DACS preamp. Like, Major League all-star instead of AA benchwarmer. But that's me.

I have no experience with the Forssell preamps (we do have some Forssell opamps in the 2buss of our console which sounds excellent), lots of experience with the Gordon (love that preamp! Another work of art). The NPNG is absolutely of the same ilk, though with a different functionality and topology.

Karl doesn't sell direct. We handle distribution in Europe.
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianokeys View Post
True but a fair question. Some, myself included, have treated our rooms as best we could given space, asthetic limitations and now can happily enjoy some room tone but must be cautious about how much we are "forced" to endure.
exactly what I was trying to say !
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
Yes it is! We had a great time, erm, testing it before it had to ship out.
I'm stumped about this piece of your bitchin box
Attached Thumbnails
NPNG preamp, quick review-mobilerigwhat.jpg  
Old 28th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
I'm stumped about this piece of your bitchin box
Hi - My name is Mixwell and I wired that doom rack.

It is a custom rack mounted 2-banger NPNG Power Supply for X2 NPNG 4NW's.

It is available as special custom order.
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
Every now and then there´s this poll where men are asked what their dream woman looks like. The winner usually ends up with something like Angelina Jolie´s lips, Scarlett Johanson´s nose, Halle Berry´s eyes and Julia Roberts´hair. Then they photoshop it into a picture that looks absolutely horrible, it just doesn´t work.

So when I imagine the ultimate preamp it´s along the same lines. Can I please have the size, dimension and smoothness of the best tube designs, the authority and density of a neve, the forwardness of an api and the clarity and crystal top of a GML ? All this topped off with lightning fast transient response, wide stereo image and a very musical behavior. I´d also like it to sound a couple of inches more in my face than the rest of the bunch. Oh, and can I please get a PSU worthy of driving a small console and overall top notch quality in build and components ?

Friends, meet the NPNG preamp. All the attributes above in a perfect blend.

It doesn´t sound like anything I´ve heard before. It is not a flattering preamp if the source sucks, it will definitely tell you like it is. But when you do get it right you will be generously rewarded. Detail, depth, authority... On the 2-buss as make-up gain for passive summing it was just sick.

On the Mercenary site Fletcher describes it as "jawdropping". Now that I´ve actually used the thing I fully agree.

Someone else commented that now that the NPNG is here, the Beatles and Zeppelin should be re-recorded. Well, maybe that´s pushing it, but just a little.

cool
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear
Forget about Angelina Jolie's lips. etc. I want a NPNG. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now that's what I call pure bliss. Perfection in a box.
Attached Thumbnails
NPNG preamp, quick review-imgres.jpg   NPNG preamp, quick review-npng.jpg  
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Forget about Angelina Jolie's lips. etc. I want a NPNG. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now that's what I call pure bliss. Perfection in a box.
well, Angelina and the NPNG are both pretty fine, but the NPNG is a little bit "faster". I heard that Angelina's taking things slow...with the husband and kids and all.
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm, so the TOP half of Angelina vs. a 2 ch. NPNG? What about ALL of Angie vs the 4 channel??? now THAT would be a dilemma

I was just trying to mix a spoken word thing I did (RE20 > NPNG)... I say trying because I came to the realization that everything I tried took away from the the sonic bliss! I wound up just making sure it was within spec and printed the stems!

<sadly, I cannot post anything - client won't even let there be a digital copy of the script! >
Old 27th August 2012
Found this the other day

I know what you guys mean, I am hankering for a slab of some NPNG in my rack, man I am salivating.

Anyway, I forget what Mic's I used, but I found this example of "me using the NPNG" with some drum overheads,

check it out,
[sorry its an mpeethree]
Attached Files

NPNG Demo - OH.mp3 (1.60 MB, 2065 views)

Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear
Right now I am feeling like one of Pavlov's dogs. I am just drooling while hearing the mp3 of the NPNG on overheads and pondering over whether I'd pefer a 4 channel NPNG or the rest of Angelina's body. Na! I like my ladies rounder, fuller, wider and faster just like the sound of the NPNG on overheads.
Old 9th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Sounds like "clean" is the new "colored".

Brad
Haha. Now that's funny.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear
I want an NPNG.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I want an NPNG.
Me too.

I once heard a shootout between different preamps. Liked it the most
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac

You guys have great taste !!!

I have ten channels of NPNG actually , the 2 channel standard then 4 channels of NPNG uberlux and 4 channels of NPNG cadillac diff flavors same excellence...

If I had to keep one the Uberlux would be the winner , it's an audio masterpiece combined with a Josephson C 700 stereo mic....Let's say...kind of U 47's match pair when I heard it for the first time ...mindblowing

Thank you once again Dox Mixwell they are still there !! fantastic solid state pres
Old 17th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Leloup View Post
You guys have great taste !!!

I have ten channels of NPNG actually , the 2 channel standard then 4 channels of NPNG uberlux and 4 channels of NPNG cadillac diff flavors same excellence...

If I had to keep one the Uberlux would be the winner , it's an audio masterpiece combined with a Josephson C 700 stereo mic....Let's say...kind of U 47's match pair when I heard it for the first time ...mindblowing

Thank you once again Dox Mixwell they are still there !! fantastic solid state pres
You are very welcome, Remy!

I haven't used my 2NW in a while. Time to fire it up! hehe
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Guru

The NPNG website is DOA.is he still in biz?
great mic pres.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
great mic pres.
I wanna know this as well.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Leloup View Post
A pair of 2 channel units (std version) here for many years. Was Gefell M300s into one on acoustic guitar - now a pair of Josephson C716s with a C700A in the other for vocals. These pres and my two 1073LBs are the last and best of my outboard preamps :-).

PS - I hope Karl is doing OK as well...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
great mic pres.

Website and emails are down for me too. Anyone know anything guys?
Thanks!!
Old 1 week ago
just score a QMP 4NW +Diehlio prototype for $2800
can't wait to start recording with it !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
just score a QMP 4NW +Diehlio prototype for $2800
can't wait to start recording with it !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Anyone gotten through to Karl?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search