The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
D&R Merlin Console....
Old 7th June 2005
Gear Head

D&R Merlin Console....

Just recently put a large D&R Merlin console in my studio. As of yet I absolutely love it. 52 of the faders have been replaced with P&G's and it has a power mod that allows me to run the console on two power supplies instead of the stock 1 power supply.

Any Merlin users out there with tricks and tips? Anything to watch for that seems to be D&R or Merlin specific?

Also, does anyone have or no where to get the old Opcode midi card that is necessary to run the power VCA automation? I already have an old DOS computer to run it, and don't really need the Power VCA automation, but since I have the software and the CPU, I figured I may as well get it hooked up. Plus clients will probably love having even more useless stuff to look at:D
Old 8th June 2005
Lives for gear

I don't have one, but I don't think D&R is making them anymore. Or at least, they're not listed on their site.

Some have said that the D&R automation is not the most user friendly.
Old 9th June 2005
Gear Head

Correct. D&R does not make the Merlin anymore. I actually don't plan on using the automation at all since my DAW setup is much more efficient for automating with. I just figured that since all I need is the midi card (should be a pretty small investment) I would go ahead and get it.

I was really hoping to find some other Merlin users in case I could learn some more tricks and tips concerning my specific console, and any things to look out for
Old 9th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatic
Correct. D&R does not make the Merlin anymore. I actually don't plan on using the automation at all since my DAW setup is much more efficient for automating with. I just figured that since all I need is the midi card (should be a pretty small investment) I would go ahead and get it.

I was really hoping to find some other Merlin users in case I could learn some more tricks and tips concerning my specific console, and any things to look out for
I would try to get the automation on line. I think its better to use the consoles faders for gain change than your daw
Old 10th June 2005
Lives for gear

Hunt down David Morgan on the rap group. He's a D&R user, or was...I think he recently sold them. He's owned many and might have some good tips and whatnot.
later,
m
Old 10th June 2005
Lives for gear

Just contact D&R themselves: http://www.d-r.nl

I hear they're nice people thumbsup
Old 10th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
Just contact D&R themselves: http://www.d-r.nl

I hear they're nice people thumbsup
Absolutely...ask any sensible question and you will get an answer from the president of D&R - at least this is my experience.
Old 11th June 2005
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanM
Absolutely...ask any sensible question and you will get an answer from the president of D&R - at least this is my experience.
Mine, too. I've had an issue or two over the years with D&R, but never with Duco.

My D&R uses an old Musiquest 32M MIDI card. I might even have a spare in the closet somewhere.
Old 11th June 2005
Lives for gear

One of the consoles I thought of buying years ago was a D&R Merlin. I'm pretty sure they had moving fader options at one point, but that put it into the above $50,000 range for sure.

I ended up with a Sony DMX, then Sony discontinued it. I sold my DMX last month, figuring it was a good time to get out. So now here I am again, console shopping. Considering that used AMEK Media 51 (28 frame). Other options are Sequoia DAW w/ good plugins like Hydratone/Algorithmix through 16 channels of Mytek DAC 8x96 into an SPL Mixdream or Folcrom, etc...

That might be a pretty sweet setup actually. No faders though, and I hate hooking up those MIDI controllers. I guess once they're working it's okay........ I've got a Soundcraft Delta 8 analog board here that Audio Upgrades can improve, but the eq isn't that flexible.

I was maybe going to post this as a topic, but if anyone has suggestions (what would you do?), feel free to chime in. Otherwise, sorry for hijacking your D&R thread! heh

They still make the Orion X, but I think I'd rather have the Amek Media 51 w/ Rupert's EQ and Supertrue automation. That's if I decide to buy another console. The DMX was my third digital desk, so I don't think I'll be buying another one of those for a while, if ever.

Old 11th June 2005
Gear Head

I talk with Paul Westbrook form D&R fairly regularly. He's a great guy, but I was hoping to find real world users of the Merlin for their input.

Dave, if you have an extra Musiquest card, I would most certainly be interested in it.

Right now my Merlin is short loaded to 44 channel strips. There is just this part of me that wants to fully complete the desk by adding the last 8 channel strips and getting the automation on line. I did have a nice 8 panel blank built for my console and paint matched to cover those 8 channels. That only cost me $60 to have made and the machine shop did an incredible job. I also paid them another $150 and had them build me a custom paint matched overbridge that spans the whole 10 feet. They even installed it for me.

So far I have only had minor problems with my console, all of which have been very easy to work around since I have so many channels and more aux sends than necessary. I plan on fixing those last couple little issues in the next couple months as my time permits, but right now I am entering a hellacious show run. I think so far the biggest problem I have had is the amount of heat this thing puts off. I wanted to leave it powered on 24-7, but at about $75 a month for power, and the extra heat it creates, I have been powering it off, at least for the summer months.

I will try and hit RAP for some more input if time permits. Thanks all
Old 11th June 2005
Lives for gear

I have a feeling that the D&R did not sell a whole lot of Merlins, particularly in the USA. I don't think they were ever that popular in the States.
Old 15th November 2006
Here for the gear

D + R "Dayner" desk

I have a very good D + R Dayner console available for sale.
Virtually NOS! (1990's) 32 channel.

Here is one comment on D + R:

"This is the first time I have ever heard D&R consoles described as "Neutral Sounding". In the 19 years I've been with D&R, I've heard transparent many times when people describe how it sounds. D&R has the best phase spec in the industry and their design department has always put most attention into reproducing sound as close to the way your ears hear it. No color, no 2nd harmonic distortion, just what goes in is what comes out.
When you use a D&R and you want that warm fat sound, just insert your favorite limiter/compressor and over-drive the input of it.
Skunk Baxter once demoed a D&R Dayner and he tried over-driving the Dayner input and used up all 26dB of headroom and it clipped. He was used to a Trident in which he could over-drive the input and it would produce that fat 2nd harmonic distortion. If you want that sound on every track, buy the Trident. If you want most tracks clean and quiet, go for the D&R."

Mine is in Australia and available for $US 5,000 plus shipping.
Email me if interested. Full documentation.

Thanks

Gary
[email protected]
Old 15th November 2006
Gear Guru

There is a For Sale/Classifieds section for this thumbsup
Old 15th November 2006
Gear Guru

Ahh....the Merlin. I remember it.

Jdunn's right - to the best of my knowledge, there were very few Merlins that came into the USA. I know Disney Imagineering in Glendale CA had one. I'm pretty sure it had P&G' motor faders and a custom automation system to help run them. (Most D&R automation is VCA non-motorfaders) I'm not sure if they still have it or not.

xtatic - I'm going to guess that you're going to have a pretty hard time finding channel strips laying around, but good luck! I hope you can locate some. The console you have may have come out of Imagineering if it has P&G's on it. Do you know it's history? i can guarantee that the console you have cost much more than $55k though if your P&G's are motorfaders. Back in the day the motorfaders alone would have run close to 20+k.

Enjoy the Merlin. It was D&R's first foray into digital routing in an analog console. Pretty nice console with a lot of options.

GaryK's description of what a D&R sounds like is pretty much spot on. The pre's don't really overdrive like a trident or older neve. They just put out gain until they clip. ;-) The sound is big and fat, but not in a colored neve/api way. Just clean. A lot of it has to do with the superb phase coherency in the console. D&R tested each and every part of the circuitry for phase coherency, and then again as circuits were added together, making adjustments for minimal phase shift. thumbsup

D&R Netherlands will be a good source for you. Like it has been said, you will most likely get an answer back from Duco (owner/designer) or Jan (principal designer). Good guys! One of the last of a dying breed of independant console manufacturers where they can make whatever the #@$% they want at the price point that they want.

Go D&R!!

drBill - D&R lover
120 input Automated D&R OrionX (my baby)
50 input D&R Vision (small frame & hot-rodded - waiting for studioB)
52 input D&R Vision (large frame) For sale
Old 16th November 2006
Lives for gear

wow Bill you got an OrionX with 120 channels???
so you got 60 inline channels?

tell me more about that consoel. I was looking for more inputs for my D&R but they said I have all I can get without going into too much troubles.

Thanks Jo
Old 16th November 2006
Lives for gear

I asked D&R a few questions and almost always get a very useful and friendly response from the man himself within a day. Fabulous company.
Old 16th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
wow Bill you got an OrionX with 120 channels???
so you got 60 inline channels?

tell me more about that consoel. I was looking for more inputs for my D&R but they said I have all I can get without going into too much troubles.

Thanks Jo
Jo, I have a 51 frame w/ 48 in-lines (96 ch) and 6 dual stereo's (24 ch.) = 120 total inputs.
Old 16th November 2006
Lives for gear

Yep. Clean indeed but the one I use has all the opamps replaced with burr browns. 4 band eq on every channel is pretty cool except that things can get harsh with much top boost. Don't use the automation here either.
Old 17th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Jo, I have a 51 frame w/ 48 in-lines (96 ch) and 6 dual stereo's (24 ch.) = 120 total inputs.
wow didn't knew something like that exists - do you have a remote patchbay?
I got a 32 channel one with patch and 6 dual stereos.

Jo
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
wow didn't knew something like that exists - do you have a remote patchbay?
I got a 32 channel one with patch and 6 dual stereos.

Jo
Jo, I originally had a D&R Triton and had an outboard patchbay for it. (Smaller frame) So it was a no brainer for me to go for more modules and an outboard patchbay when I got the OrionX. It did mean a lot of soldering though.....

Bill
Old 17th November 2006
Lives for gear

thanks for the info - great console
the Orion is very underrated IMO

Jo
Old 10th April 2010
Here for the gear

new merlin

I just installed a merlin in my room. So far I love it.
I would like to find an extra power supply.
Old 9th February 2016
hey guys!

we installed a merlin in a friends studio a few days ago,...so far we really like it.
at the moment we try to figure out what routing configuration would be the best solution for us.

at least 2 setups,...

1 setup for recording where we can use one fader together witrh the parametric EQ and a solution to do a listening mix for us in the control room during the recording.

2 setup for mixing

aaaaaand the best solution to integrate external preamps.
there are no normalized mic lines at the patchbay....
any ides?

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search