Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
plug converter directly into macbook via spdif
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Head

plug converter directly into macbook via spdif

So, I'm trying to figure out a good HIGH quality mobile option for my macbook, which doesn't have firewire -there's a different thread on that going on right now. But one thought I had, I thought merited a new thread.

I've read that the macbook's input and headphone our are actually also spdif, or some kind of digital connection. So if I get the right cable I should be able to plug a small high end pre/converter directly into the macbook and skip any other interface.

That sounds like a great option for someone lamenting over a missing firewire port.

What's the catch? Is there a quality degradation somehow by using the macbook's built-in digital in? Is there in any way some reason I wouldn't want to use the digital in on the macbook and instead use usb or firewire?

Besides it being limited to only 2 channels (I'm only looking at 2 channel interfaces right now anyway)
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search