The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the different between DCS 954,955,957,958 DAC?
Old 30th November 2008
Gear Nut

Which one is the best of the above model ?
Old 30th November 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffert View Post
Which one is the best of the above model ?
955. As far as I know, 957 and 958 never existed.

Regards
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

I think that the 957 and 958 were variants of the 955 that added firewire and other i/o interfaces. As far as I know they did not differ from the 955 in circuitry. I have never seen a 957 or 958.

Too bad these have all been discontinued as dCS has transformed into a hi-fi company.

Clearly they made fantastic pro converters. Also as clearly they can make much more money from audiophools than from the limited numbers of top pros willing to pay for quality.
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanizzi View Post
955. As far as I know, 957 and 958 never existed.

Regards
For the sake of adding some knowledge (some 10 years later!).

The 958 did exist and I have one. EDIT - I got the number wrong, it is a 978.

It was a pointless purchase by me on ebay and cheap anyway (£56!) Someone selling things on ebay they'd bought at a BBC clearance auction when their research department closed.

The ATM stuff seemed to be a joint project between the BBC and dCS and the 978 for sample rate and format conversion between aes/ebu and sdif to AES47 protocol for transmission over ISDN etc (ATM networks).

It seems like the sample rate conversion is in there somewhere but I can't get at it - aes47 never really became a standard and only one XLR input is physically connected. Still, a nice thing to fire up every now and again!

Last edited by nat8808; 23rd November 2018 at 01:54 PM..
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Nut
I just saw a dCS 908 in a BBC surplus auction which looks like a 905 with additional ATM network output. So I'm guessing there was some market for the ATM variants in broadcast and therefore perhaps the 958 also exists ?

I'm going to guess that to some extent, the 957 (firewire version) became the commecial HiFi Elgar Plus as it has kind of firewire if not actually the usual computer firewire porotocol (so I don't think can be directly connected). Perhaps a pro one was made with DXD/384khz (don't think the Elgar goes this high).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search