The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic question
Old 25th March 2003
Mic question

Given the choice of a Manley Gold Reference or a Lawson L47mp, which would you choose? I'm just doing some preliminary research and I wanna know if any of you have an opinion either way?
Old 25th March 2003
Both, and many others.hippie death
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

My opinion is useless, since I've only tried one (L47).

But for what it's worth, it's a hell of a mic.

There are a few things I wouldn't use it on:

close mic'ing snare or toms (it probably would sound great, but it's too damn big, plus I don't want it getting clobbered by a stick.)

stereo applications (except for M-S, because I only have one, duh!)

tambourines, triangles, etc. (my earthworks qtc's are much better on jangly things).

loud trombone (I like my Royer 121 for that)

Other than those (and maybe a couple of things i forgot) it's pretty much my go to mic: vocals, acoustic guitar, saxes, guitar amps, acoustic bass... pretty much you name it.

I'd love to try a Manley some day. But I've never heard anyone getting really passionate about it... might just be I'm not hanging out with the right crowd!

Given my satisfaction with the L47, what I'd REALLY like to try next is the Lawson version of the ELAM. In both cases (the L47 and the ELAM knock-off) it seems like Lawson comes in at a significantly better price than some of it's competitors like Soundelux.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search