The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nearfield monitor most similar to HD-650s? Studio Monitors
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear interested

Nearfield monitor most similar to HD-650s?

Can anyone recommend an active monitor with sound characteristics similar to the Sennheiser HD-650s? I like the 650's liquid mids, relaxed highs, and strong but not bloated bass.

I've been considering a pair of Dynaudio BM6As with a 9S. The Adams P33 looked good at first but with further reading it seems like it would likely be too dry and thin for my taste. Unfortunately, I can't listen to any of the higher end monitors near me, but I have had a chance to hear a $5k pair of Dynaudio hifi speakers that I liked quite a bit.

My material is about 80% digital grand piano and about 20% roland v-drums.

Thanks for any input!
Paul
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Nut

I have HD600's and Dynaudio M3P monitors that go well together.. just go and listen at the shops that have many monitors wired up. Don't forget to take your music with you.
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Guru

I use the HD 650 and 600 and my small nearfields are the K+H O110.

I also have a pair of the Harbeth Monitor 30A.

My short-list for this would be ATC, Harbeth and K+H.
Old 24th November 2008
Gear maniac

I own HD650s and Dynaudio 6As, IMO they have a very different sonic character.

I find the HD650's very smooth & relaxed through the mids & tops, quite flattering if there are any harsh hi mid frequencies. I think this makes them better for audiophile applications than for engineering, (kind of an enhanced "warm" tone) I prefer more bite in the high mids, when there's something in there that needs sorting out - I want to know about it! that said, I cant say i've heard any alternatives as good as the HD650. (i dont think they are particularly ruler flat thats all)

The Dynaudio 6As on the other hand have plenty of Hi-mid presence. I quite like this, but I get a lot of concerned comments about dynaudio bm 5a& 6a's from people who aren't used to this & dont like it much. (I'm a fan though.)
I'm told the passive dynaudios aren't quite as brazen

different, but both excellent choices
cant comment on the Adams, love to hear them sometime
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

When I got my HD-650's, I was amazed at how much they sounded just like my AIR20 Dynaudios, so Dynaudio might be the ticket, yes. :-)

But ATC is better, if we are talking speaker quality here... :-) I switched...
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

IMO HD650 need EQ to be used for serious audiowork. They are to heavy in the upper bass/lower mid, HD600 is more neutral.

/Peter
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
IMO HD650 need EQ to be used for serious audiowork. They are to heavy in the upper bass/lower mid, HD600 is more neutral.

/Peter
+ 1
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmeister View Post
I own HD650s and Dynaudio 6As, IMO they have a very different sonic character.
Interesting. I've been using that combo (HD650 + BM6As) for the past year and a half, and I find I'm very seldom surprised when I switch between the headphones and speakers. Perhaps I've just learned to adjust for the differences, or maybe it's my room, but I find them to be a really compatible pair.

Lots of folks complain about the frequency response of the HD650s, but for me whatever coloration they might have is offset by their very good comfort level. I can work using them for hours, at low volume levels, hearing lots of detail with no fatigue whatsoever. This is more important to me than ruler-flat response, especially since everything is checked on nearfields and mains ultimately anyhow.

-synthoid
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

I consider Klein Hummel O300 to be the most similar sounding speaker to a HD650 although even more natural and uncolored sounding, and without low mid bump.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, the K+H and the Sennheisers sound similar
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Head

Hey,

I have the HD650's and i was just about to post the same question. Anyone else with an opinion i would also love to hear. I was thinking of buying O300's and O810 and this thread is about to push me over the edge. Love those headphones.
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmeister View Post
I find the HD650's very smooth & relaxed through the mids & tops, quite flattering if there are any harsh hi mid frequencies. I think this makes them better for audiophile applications than for engineering, (kind of an enhanced "warm" tone) I prefer more bite in the high mids, when there's something in there that needs sorting out - I want to know about it! that said, I cant say i've heard any alternatives as good as the HD650. (i dont think they are particularly ruler flat thats all)
Actually the problem is likely that they are very flat and that does not make a headphone sound natural unless binaural recordings are used.

This is the explanation I have found:

When sound hits the head from a distance we will see the HRTF effect. This means that there will be a little something like the baffle step in speakers or microphones which for the human head means upper midrange. When we listen to a headphone that measures flat we loose this small natural lift in the upper midrange and the result is the warm relaxed sensation as we get from HD650. The older HD600 has a slightly different response and hencce sound slightly more natural in the midrange.

OTOH it's easy to hear that HD600 lacks a little in the lowest octave.

My solution as I have mentioned in other threads is to EQ (bringing down a bit in the 80-300Hz range) the HD650 which results in an overall better response than HD600.

Yellow = HD650
Green = HD600

Measurements are taken with an Earthworks QTC1 between the cup and ear with phones on my head.

Nearfield monitor most similar to HD-650s?-600650.jpg

/Peter
Old 7th March 2009
Gear Head

So the general agreement is the O300's? No other near-field speaker, passive or otherwise, is more similar to the HD650 headphones?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search