The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 3104 Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 22nd November 2008
Gear Nut

Neve 3104

I have a chance to buy a Neve 3104 and I don't know much about it. Does it compare to a 1081 and how much are they going for?

Thanks
Rob
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Nut

Anyone?
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcn View Post
I have a chance to buy a Neve 3104 and I don't know much about it. Does it compare to a 1081 and how much are they going for?

Thanks
Rob

They dont really compare.

The 3104 is 3 band , the 1081 is 4 band A.

all the best,
Sean
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Maniac

Not totally true. The 1081 is Class A/B as well. The 1073/1084s are class A.
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsson View Post
Not totally true. The 1081 is Class A/B as well. The 1073/1084s are class A.
My mistake, you are correct.

best,
Sean
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcn View Post

Thanks
Rob
Hi

These compares to questions are always hard to answer. Compare to in what way? Sound, facilities, etc.?

The first thing to make sure is that it has a decent power supply and the correct Smiths mating connector... you can't get them now.

It's a nice module, 3 band EQ rather than 4 like the 1081 and similar circuitry without the gizmos of the 1081 and a skinnier output transformer that will affect the sound. It's class A all the way to the class AB output stage.

I would warn you that there are a few around, modified by a so called Neve expert, that have non-polarised caps all over the place... including power supply decoupling. Those units ought to be modified back to Neve specs.

Also, you can't buy the square TJ switches at the bottom any more and the price is directly affected by how well the unit has been serviced, how badly it has been modified, and the state of the pots and switches.

There are dogs out there as well as nice units... let the buyer beware.

Old 24th November 2008
Gear Addict

I own a pair of 3104's racked by Brent Averill....they're great...not quite as fat as a 1073, but I use'em everyday.
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Nut

Thanks fellows I do appreciate your posts...
Old 19th May 2012
Gear Nut

Couple Q's from a 3104 user

I inherited two from my pops but I'm only a beginner in music as far as EQ/Compression stuff goes. Gettin some good use out of these but I have a few questions in order to fully understand them (atleast on a basic what-does-this-knob-do level).

1) OK. So there's no manual but there is a video on youtube explaining stuff which originally got me oriented.

In that video he explains how there's a line input in the back that allows you to bypass the preamp and just use the EQ. I'm not getting any sound when I do that. The gain knob for the preamp is kinda funny. When using the front 1/4 in inputs nothing can be heard under the the 20db point.
[By the way, I just got these tuned up at analog lab so everything should be in working order]
If you look to the right of 20 db, there's one more notch and then it starts at -10. Then, two notches later: 0. Then two notches later: +10
I'm assuming this is for the back input but none of those settings give me sound.

My cable is an XLR to 1/4" going into a patch bay. Is there a chance that it's either balanced or unbalanced which would cause the problem?

I can't think of what else it could be.

2) There's a switch in the back whose function I'm not sure of. It switches between "Class A fixed" and "Class AB variable". fyi, that didn't fix the 1st problem.

3) I'm unsure of when to use the Phase correction button. Or, should I say, when not to use the Phase button! It always seems to bring out more tone, but as a youngin I suppose I'm susceptible to getting aroused by louder volumes or boosted bass over real "correction" or neutrality.
If (when sampling a stereo source) it's always helpful, then does it matter which of the two units has the phase in and which has it out?
What about summing or just resampling from something I've already worked on in my DAW, will that need another phase correction? Does vinyl need it? Keyboards? etc etc...

Thank so much!!
Dan
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

Hi

I think that class A mod is a pile of dog's do and, if I had the module, I would remove it.

It's a classic case of a so called tech with no real electronic education bodging a perfectly good module.

He, I won't mention his name, chose to use the power boost function on the B338 that was unreliable, in fact Neve dropped it on the B438, and was only used on very early PSM consoles.

So you don't have good examples of a 3104, you have a messed up bodge of a module...

Posted from my iPhone
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Nut

neve 3104 (line-in and phase q's)

Well that's unfortunate that this isn't the best neve 3104 module it could be but I'm sure it's better than no eq/pre like my previous situation.

Should I set my switches to AB or A?

But really the more pertinent questions for me were how to get the line in on the back working (i get no sound from those inputs) and when to use the PH button, which unit L or R to press it on.

(More in-detail description of questions in the previous post)
thanks.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

read books & articles on recording music, preamps, gear and techniques in general.
ph is a phase switch and if you dont know whats going on with that - books, articles.
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbkeys View Post
Well that's unfortunate that this isn't the best neve 3104 module it could be but I'm sure it's better than no eq/pre like my previous situation.

Should I set my switches to AB or A?

But really the more pertinent questions for me were how to get the line in on the back working (i get no sound from those inputs) and when to use the PH button, which unit L or R to press it on.

(More in-detail description of questions in the previous post)
thanks.
Hi

This is the problem when non techs butcher Neve modules.

The 3104 has both mic and line inputs, the mic being the top three pins on the connector and the line below it.

Whoever wired the module should have made connections for both.

You plug into the line input and rotate the gain switch to the line section.

If you slide the side cover off you see a moron has put non-polarized capacitors in there.... Even for dc rail decoupling. The class A is making an amplifier, designed to drive a minimum load of around 1Kohm, into a load of around 70 ohms and I doubt that overworked transistor has a heatsink.

So don't use the class A mod

You could email me and I could put you in touch with someone who could restore the module so it sounded like it was intended to...

You are not listening to that now...

Plus, read up on using recording equipment, there's lots to learn!

PS Re the input on the front... Neve modules never had Di inputs (or needed them) so the manner that socket is wired depends on the reasoning of the rack builder... I would guess it's a 100Kohm resistor into the secondary of the mic transformer so, as you mention, it won't work in the line positions. i believe confusion may exist between the line input (original Neve function) and DI input (an added function). They are not the same.

Posted from my iPhone
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Nut

Neve 3104

Ok. Thanks. I def need to brush up on the technical language. But it seems like you're saying that unless I get those retrofitted for the original configuration, I won't get the most out of em. Unfortunately I just spent 500 getting them tuned up at analog lab which fixed a lot of the noise issues. by the way, the guys there were all pretty revved up about these units and didn't mention the misguided renovations, and I thought they seemed to be reliable as far as how they value gear. Nonetheless, I can't see putting much more $ into these for a while. The reason I wanted to try the line ins on the back might be a bit of laziness and a bit of signal precaution. My EQs are currently hard-wired into a tube compressor and then they go back into the patch bay. I figured I could save some signal integrity by joining these two. But, for instance, if I want a clean piano sound, the neve pres seem to add a little too much grit. I wanted to hear what it was like to only use the EQ...You're saying I probably can't but you can't be sure unless you saw the units...
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely hold on to your e-mail for the future.
Out of curiosity, as far as color and sound go (not tech specs as I'm kind of ignorant there) what exactly would I notice about the Neves if I were to have them re-fitted to resemble the original config?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Hi

I can't help but wonder what they did for $500 if they did not notice the mods that stand out like a sore thumb.

The 3104 was a very nice module and, correctly configured, it would sound along the lines of a three band 1081.

Why they wanted to bodge it to class A, to the detriment of safe operating parameters, beats me. But it's not a mod anyone directly connected with the era of these modules would dream of.

Methinks you have been ill advised with your spending.

All you can do is learn from the experience and save up for them to be restored to former glory later.

Posted from my iPhone
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

What consoles did the 3104 appear in?
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbkeys View Post
Ok. Thanks. I def need to brush up on the technical language. But it seems like you're saying that unless I get those retrofitted for the original configuration, I won't get the most out of em. Unfortunately I just spent 500 getting them tuned up at analog lab which fixed a lot of the noise issues. by the way, the guys there were all pretty revved up about these units and didn't mention the misguided renovations, and I thought they seemed to be reliable as far as how they value gear. Nonetheless, I can't see putting much more $ into these for a while. The reason I wanted to try the line ins on the back might be a bit of laziness and a bit of signal precaution. My EQs are currently hard-wired into a tube compressor and then they go back into the patch bay. I figured I could save some signal integrity by joining these two. But, for instance, if I want a clean piano sound, the neve pres seem to add a little too much grit. I wanted to hear what it was like to only use the EQ...You're saying I probably can't but you can't be sure unless you saw the units...
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely hold on to your e-mail for the future.
Out of curiosity, as far as color and sound go (not tech specs as I'm kind of ignorant there) what exactly would I notice about the Neves if I were to have them re-fitted to resemble the original config?
Thanks,
Dan
Get thee to a real tech or send them to Geoff in Hollywood for correction. Your techs are not up to standard and you just got rripped off. I advise reappearing at the tech's office with your "collection agent" to obtain a refund.

Don't screw around and get back to Nevesound.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Hi

Custom BBC consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
What consoles did the 3104 appear in?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search