The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA 2192 vs. Apogee AD-16x & DA16x anyone have had both?
Old 21st November 2008
Lives for gear

UA 2192 vs. Apogee AD-16x & DA16x anyone have had both?

Hi,

I see that the UA 2192 gets alot of cudos and praise here at GS. Anyone out there ever had the opportunity to A/B both? Not the rosettas, but Apogee's top dog converters (X series)

And which won the,

Image category:
definition category:
musical/analogish category:
Headroom/dynamic range category:
Best internal clock category:

Just curious. I never heard them side by side.

Just checking before I drop $3000 on one.

Thanks everyone.
Old 22nd November 2008
Lives for gear

Nobody??

Old 22nd November 2008
Lives for gear

not a soul?
Old 22nd November 2008
Gear Addict

you mean "ANYBODY"?
Old 22nd November 2008
Lives for gear

Still not a soul to be found

anybody!!!!!

I want to know what I am missing here. Lots of love here for the UA 2192. Not enough for the HEDD or Apogee X series.

I never heard the UA 2192 against Apogee X series. I want to know the truth, and nothing but so help me God.

heh
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Addict

I had the 2192 for several month in my studio adding to my 16x rig.
The UAD sounds totally different. Lots of bass, punchy. Not that "Oh , hear that little bell whistling" type of converter. More that fat and warm kind of thing. No Problem with the internal clock. Compared to the 16 x it performs very well and I can´t imagine anyones doing Pop,Rock, Metall etc. would not be very happy with it. For me the best bang for the bucks of all the converters I had here, and I had hardly all, incl Weiss, HEDD and Lavry Gold.For me , the Price very much represents the performance of the unit. And yes, I think it´s a huge upgrade to the 16x.
Old 23rd November 2008
I sent them a request to do another version of the 2192 for the home studio crowd. I told them that, if they just took what they have and stripped it down so that it only worked on internal clock, only supported up to 88.2K, and maybe only had S/PDIF out, and sold it for $1500, that it would be a no-brainer for the home studio crowd. The missing features would mean that higher end folks would still buy the expensive one, so it wouldn't cannibalize sales of that one, but the home studio folks wouldn't really miss them particularly and would jump on it at that price for the high quality conversion.

They did respond and said they would consider it. Other folks should bug them about it. It would be nice to have a version of it that's more reasonable in price for the project studio world.
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I sent them a request to do another version of the 2192 for the home studio crowd. I told them that, if they just took what they have and stripped it down so that it only worked on internal clock, only supported up to 88.2K, and maybe only had S/PDIF out, and sold it for $1500, that it would be a no-brainer for the home studio crowd.
Very cool idea,actually.

Add me to the list...!
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez View Post
I had the 2192 for several month in my studio adding to my 16x rig.
The UAD sounds totally different. Lots of bass, punchy. Not that "Oh , hear that little bell whistling" type of converter. More that fat and warm kind of thing. No Problem with the internal clock. Compared to the 16 x it performs very well and I can´t imagine anyones doing Pop,Rock, Metall etc. would not be very happy with it. For me the best bang for the bucks of all the converters I had here, and I had hardly all, incl Weiss, HEDD and Lavry Gold.For me , the Price very much represents the performance of the unit. And yes, I think it´s a huge upgrade to the 16x.

Interesting. Thanks Huarez. I got a HEDD. Its nice. Fat analog sounding converter. I wonder if the 2192 sounds like the HEDD. I wish I could hear some files comparing all these guys off the same source.

I have heard shootouts with the x series, 192, rosetta, aurora, and SSL converters. But not with the 2192 vs the X. You can hear the 2192, weiss and mytek at mytek's website.

Love to hear a shootout with the HEDD, 2192, BURL, X series, Weiss and GOLD. That would be very interesting.
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Brains behind 2192 now has own company called "Burl."
Old 23rd November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
Very cool idea,actually.

Add me to the list...!
You need to add yourself to the list, else they won't have a clue anyone besides me really would like such a product. Send them an e-mail via their web site and ask for it. If they hear it enough times, they may do it.
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Well what they are actually going to do, reading their surveys, is make a UA-branded audio interface, which will probably have converters in it that they will claim are "descended from the 2192" but most likely will be quite compromised.
Old 23rd November 2008
Lives for gear

YEp

Old Rich Williams left the UA family.

To add some transformers to his 2192. heh They wouldn't let him do it. dfegad
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Before i would drop 3K take a demo.
MAny great people are here at GS, but it´s just an opinion.
Try, judge, feel good or bad...
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Old Rich Williams left the UA family.

To add some transformers to his 2192. heh They wouldn't let him do it. dfegad
Why did he leave? because of transformers???
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

If you were good enough to own your own company and be your own boss and design the products you wanted without compromise...

What would you do?
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
If you were good enough to own your own company and be your own boss and design the products you wanted without compromise...

What would you do?
Add some custom transformers to my 2192, call my **** "Burl" and

say goodbye UA. fuuck
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks Huarez. I got a HEDD. Its nice. Fat analog sounding converter. I wonder if the 2192 sounds like the HEDD. I wish I could hear some files comparing all these guys off the same source.

I have heard shootouts with the x series, 192, rosetta, aurora, and SSL converters. But not with the 2192 vs the X. You can hear the 2192, weiss and mytek at mytek's website.

Love to hear a shootout with the HEDD, 2192, BURL, X series, Weiss and GOLD. That would be very interesting.
UA is fatter more lush sounding than the hedd. HEDD is good though and more versatile.
AD16x is great too. A way better value than the HEDD or the UA even if you have to buy the AD and the DA

16 channels for 6k as opposed to 4 channels for 6k? I love my UA but I would be happy with the AD16x
I don't think I'd be happy with the hedd. It just is not fat enough to pay 3k for 2 channels. the UA
is just that good.

the burl looks good. I'd be interested in trying it but the few clips I heard here of it were awful.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

I've been eyeing the 2192, but the recent price hike is making it much more difficult.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

I got lucky and found a very lightly used one off eBay in the low $2k's a while back and absolutely love this thing. Have no reference to how it sounds vs the Apogee stuff but can easily say that the 2192 just sounds incredible...I can't find anyone that has anything negative to say about it...worth every penny I paid.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
UA is fatter more lush sounding than the hedd. HEDD is good though and more versatile.
AD16x is great too. A way better value than the HEDD or the UA even if you have to buy the AD and the DA

16 channels for 6k as opposed to 4 channels for 6k? I love my UA but I would be happy with the AD16x
I don't think I'd be happy with the hedd. It just is not fat enough to pay 3k for 2 channels. the UA
is just that good.

the burl looks good. I'd be interested in trying it but the few clips I heard here of it were awful.

Thank you Allen! Thats some good info Yea, I just sold my HEDD. I wish I could keep them all, but I am no Billy Gates. It was nice. I wasn't too impressed with the tape knob. The pentode knob pushed the mids really well on vocals. Got them to cut through even more.

But just the sound of the converters are good and warm. They sound analogish to me compared to some others I have used. Warm rounded top end, real thick, and bold sounding for the lack of better words.

But two channels? for $3600. My GOD! what an expensive unit, I am glad I didn't pay retail for mine. If I did, it better be the best damm converter out there and make me feel I would never want to sell it. If you are all into that tape/analog sounding thing, this is for you. I have used 2" tape a few times back in the days and the thickness of it reminds me of those days.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
I've been eyeing the 2192, but the recent price hike is making it much more difficult.
Can't you still get these for $3000 at sweetwater.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
They were $2500 a little while back.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
call VK they have the best prices compared to any other dealer. Not to mention they really know gear , they fix gear and they actually have gold records........ So they know how to use gear.
Old 25th November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
call VK they have the best prices compared to any other dealer. Not to mention they really know gear , they fix gear and they actually have gold records........ So they know how to use gear.
VK currently has the 2192 listed for $2999.
Old 25th November 2008
Lives for gear

Ua 2192

Just bought one for $2200 used from another slut. Going to test it out and compare it to my Apogee AD-16x.
Then I am going to put a stereo pair of 1073s in the tail end and call it a Burl B3 bomber

Lets see what all this GS hype is all all about
Old 25th November 2008
Gear Head

Just to set the record straight, the 2192's designer and EE was Joe Bryan, with a lot of assistance from Rich. The custom op amp that the 2192 uses was actually conceived by another UA EE, John Hinson.
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1176 View Post
Just to set the record straight, the 2192's designer and EE was Joe Bryan, with a lot of assistance from Rich. The custom op amp that the 2192 uses was actually conceived by another UA EE, John Hinson.
Thanks UA for this (dis)information, it counters the marketing spiel put forward here by the Burl distributor, which I was basing my comments on.

(Now UA has retracted this post...see below... )
Old 26th November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just bought one for $2200 used from another slut. Going to test it out and compare it to my Apogee AD-16x.
Then I am going to put a stereo pair of 1073s in the tail end and call it a Burl B3 bomber

Lets see what all this GS hype is all all about
Congrats Donnx, that's just about the same I bought mine for, think you gonna like it. Looking forward to hearing about your comparisons, never tried the 16x myself.
Old 26th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

I see that the UA 2192 gets alot of cudos and praise here at GS. Anyone out there ever had the opportunity to A/B both? Not the rosettas, but Apogee's top dog converters (X series)

Donnx, if u still want it i can made some fast comprassion!

I have UA2192s, Apogee AD-16X and HEDD all wired to protools HD...
let me know if want it - pls send pm about it cos i will left it :P

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search