The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA 2192 vs. Apogee AD-16x & DA16x anyone have had both?
Old 27th November 2008
$2300 for 2192

BRAND NEW

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

at least thats what i got mine for
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

GTFO!!!! $2300??? for a new 2192? are you high? or telling the truth? For anyone off the block?

so if I called them up, they could hook me up with an new unit for $2300? There's guys on fleabay selling used one's for $2400.
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

If you use the Google shopping search feature, it looks like they're $2,518.95.

On another note, I own both the HEDD 192 and UA 2192 going into a Lynx AES PCE-e card on our Mac Pro. I know you asked about the Apogee vs. 2192, but this might be relevant to your question. Here's my rough take on the two:

1. Owned the HEDD for a little over a year now; when I originally got it, we had just upgraded from a Black Lion modded MOTU interface to a HEDD and brother was it night and day! The stereo field spread out, the mixes had more depth, and details such as verb tails, etc seemed so much clearer. However, one thing I ALWAYS had a problem with when tracking with the HEDD was electric guitars - I was never happy with them and they always sounded a bit too harsh for me. Granted, I did try many, many different sources to test this theory, but I was never happy with electric guitars. However...

2. Fast forward to a few months ago and I acquired a UA 2192. I immediately noticed how much more analog and tape-like (for lack of a better analogy) everything I tracked through it sounded - not hazy mind you, but just easier on the ears in a pleasant and familiar way. Then I tracked electric guitars through it and that's when I had my moment that all us gearslutz wait for after we purchase something new - I call it the 'moment of justification': no longer did I cringe when the electric guitar tracks were played back from our DAW - there was that smooth 70's sound I had been missing since l left the domain of tape-based systems! So as you can see I'm stoked on this unit.

I have no affiliation with either company and I think they're both great units. But to sum it up:

HEDD:
• Clean, Detailed high-end, and for the most part, Neutral (when no DSP is used)
•*Great on vocals, acoustic sources, and mastering

• Warm, more forgiving on harsh sources, and a beefier low mid.
•*Great on electric guitar, 'harsher' instrument, bass, drums, and tracking and mixing

I have not heard the Burl, but just can't imagine it being THAT much better - However, I'd love to demo one and eat my words.

Hope this helps

Michael
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

Thank you Michael. That was some good information you laid down for us. I got my 2192 coming in next week after Thanksgiving weekend. Can't wait to try it out. I have owned the HEDD as well. I sold it off to a mastering studio in Canada. It was nice. Kind of gave me the impression that it thickened things up and made things sound fatter/bold. I bet it does make a great mastering converter. But hey, I love to hear what that 2192 will do all around for tracking and mastering. My apogee Ad16x is clear, midrangy, and sounds better than most. I am looking forward to comparing it to the ad16x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke View Post
If you use the Google shopping search feature, it looks like they're $2,518.95.

On another note, I own both the HEDD 192 and UA 2192 going into a Lynx AES PCE-e card on our Mac Pro. I know you asked about the Apogee vs. 2192, but this might be relevant to your question. Here's my rough take on the two:

1. Owned the HEDD for a little over a year now; when I originally got it, we had just upgraded from a Black Lion modded MOTU interface to a HEDD and brother was it night and day! The stereo field spread out, the mixes had more depth, and details such as verb tails, etc seemed so much clearer. However, one thing I ALWAYS had a problem with when tracking with the HEDD was electric guitars - I was never happy with them and they always sounded a bit too harsh for me. Granted, I did try many, many different sources to test this theory, but I was never happy with electric guitars. However...

2. Fast forward to a few months ago and I acquired a UA 2192. I immediately noticed how much more analog and tape-like (for lack of a better analogy) everything I tracked through it sounded - not hazy mind you, but just easier on the ears in a pleasant and familiar way. Then I tracked electric guitars through it and that's when I had my moment that all us gearslutz wait for after we purchase something new - I call it the 'moment of justification': no longer did I cringe when the electric guitar tracks were played back from our DAW - there was that smooth 70's sound I had been missing since l left the domain of tape-based systems! So as you can see I'm stoked on this unit.

I have no affiliation with either company and I think they're both great units. But to sum it up:

HEDD:
• Clean, Detailed high-end, and for the most part, Neutral (when no DSP is used)
•*Great on vocals, acoustic sources, and mastering

• Warm, more forgiving on harsh sources, and a beefier low mid.
•*Great on electric guitar, 'harsher' instrument, bass, drums, and tracking and mixing

I have not heard the Burl, but just can't imagine it being THAT much better - However, I'd love to demo one and eat my words.

Hope this helps

Michael
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
BRAND NEW

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

at least thats what i got mine for

They are selling it new for $2,518.95.. Not $2300. Which is still a kick ass price. Sweetwater won't bend , they price is a firm $3000.
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
They are selling it new for $2,518.95.. Not $2300. Which is still a kick ass price. Sweetwater won't bend , they price is a firm $3000.
Yeah,Sweetwater sucks.Period.
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

I'm not the biggest fan of Sweetwater either, but I have to say they're better than 'Musicians Enemy'..

I would talk to Mike Nehra at Vintage King and see what he can do for you price-wise. Let him know about the B&H price. VK is a great store and I spend waaay to much damn money there..I'm thinking about getting setup with a direct deposit there
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Hi. I have the AD/16x and the Burl B2. Not exactly what the op asked for, but pretty close. For me, they both have their place with the Burl doing most of the lifting for rock stuff and the Apogee doing really well with the more modern stuff. But that said, since I only have 2 channels of the Burl, I use both when tracking drums and they play well together.

The Burl really shines as my "two track deck" back into the computer, and would be worth it to me for this alone. The Apogee always left me feeling disappointed in this application.

I haven't heard the 2192, but the fact you get DA as well, makes it a pretty good deal if it does essentially what the Burl does. Best of luck with your purchase!
Old 24th February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1176 View Post
Just to set the record straight, the 2192's designer and EE was Joe Bryan, with a lot of assistance from Rich. The custom op amp that the 2192 uses was actually conceived by another UA EE, John Hinson.
Hi folks, I wanted to set the record straight for real this time...

My friend Rich Williams found this post and rightly pointed out that he actually was the driving force behind the 2192. While John Hinson did offer an early op amp design, the final result was definitely Rich's. Also, while Joe Bryan did contribute the PLL, again Rich was the engineer behind the 2192's overall design and implementation. Apologies to Rich!
Old 24th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I sent them a request to do another version of the 2192 for the home studio crowd. I told them that, if they just took what they have and stripped it down so that it only worked on internal clock, only supported up to 88.2K, and maybe only had S/PDIF out, and sold it for $1500, that it would be a no-brainer for the home studio crowd. The missing features would mean that higher end folks would still buy the expensive one, so it wouldn't cannibalize sales of that one, but the home studio folks wouldn't really miss them particularly and would jump on it at that price for the high quality conversion.

They did respond and said they would consider it. Other folks should bug them about it. It would be nice to have a version of it that's more reasonable in price for the project studio world.
Sign me up for that! Or limit it to 44.1 and 48 and make it even cheaper

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search