The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EV N/D 868
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

EV N/D 868

anyone using this mic on bass drum? any comparison with all "usual suspects" bass drum mics?
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

We use ours at the studio very often. I often feel that it's a over looked mic. We've got all the usual suspects, but I often use the 868 first...
FWIW

ERic
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

yeah, its a pretty good little mic. sometimes it compliments the kik drum and the song, sometimes it doesn't. its a bit more natural sounding than most 'pre- eq'd' kik mics.
joshua
Old 1st June 2005
Gear Addict

EV 868 good, AKG D112 not so good.....

I have yet to hear a kick drum that does not sound better through an EV 868 than an AKG D112. I always like an AT25 better than the D112, but I prefer the EV 868 over both.

My latest project is using an EV 868 outside and the ancient EV 664 inside. Magnificent. Don't tell anyone about the 664 thing (it's a secret).
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

I recently used an 868. Great! I think it is really natural sounding.
Old 18th October 2007
Gear Maniac

I too prefer the more natural sounding N/D868 over the D112 almost all of the time. The N/D868 also has much less (and nicer sounding) off axis bleed than the D112. Sometimes though, that scooped out click and smack of the D112 is just right.
Old 17th November 2009
Can anyone comment on the 468 and how it differs? Esp. for Kick.
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III View Post
i've never tried it on kick, but i love the rejection pattern on the 468, great for mic'ing a sax in section - crucial if you're planning on going into Melodyne...

nice on toms!
Old 17th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III View Post
For kick drum use you'd pretty much have to put it right on the beater to get much low end. The ND468 is very proximity dependent for bass response. I love the 468 on guitar cabs, it delivers nicely there. The 868 is still my go to kick mic for maybe 6+ years now as it delivers everything I need to hammer into the mix and doesn't get in the way of the drum's tone (like the D112 does, it just has so much of its own sound).

War
Old 31st August 2010
Gear Maniac

Is there anyone that tried this mic that doesn't like it?

Been trying to find one used for a while now, but without luck. That might indicate that who ever gets one wont let it go..

Jon
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

I actually started using it again inside the kick because I only have one RE20 and needed it elsewhere. I prefer the RE20 but this is a nice mic too.

You would use this in a bright tight kick (w/pillow) since it is pre-eqd bassy. Usually getting bass out of a kick drum is not your problem. You use the D112 for flabby fat kicks since it is bright and scooped. For great sounding kicks you use the re20 which is balanced.
Old 5th September 2010
Here for the gear

The 868 is one of the the best kickmics in this price rang. Some prefer it out of the bassdrum for the air. But I prefer the 868 for the punchy kick sound. Just add some highs and cut around 400-500 hertz (depends on the kick drum) and you have a good sounding kickdrum (a basic, finetuning recommended). Especially live, if you don't have a huge soundcheck, just throw a 868 into the bassdrum and add some highs. Sounds brutal!!!

At the moment I'm trying it on a bass cabinet. Sounds pretty nice. I'll see how it sounds in the mix.
Old 5th September 2010
Lives for gear

Ev n/d 868

YES!!! Don't use anything else!!! Well, I rarely do.
Old 5th September 2010
Lives for gear

The 868 is my "desert island kick mic".
Old 5th September 2010
Lives for gear

I have heard and used the 868, but personally, I use the EV PL33 for porthole mic'ing of the kick drum. Inside, I almost always use a Beta91. The 2 together is amazing.
Old 6th September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
anyone using this mic on bass drum? any comparison with all "usual suspects" bass drum mics?
all the time

a bit more real-sounding than many kick mics

captures more of the actual drum's character

of course when it comes to kick, not everyone wants the actual drum's character to come through - which explains the popularity of a number of kick drum mics
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
all the time

a bit more real-sounding than many kick mics

captures more of the actual drum's character
+1
Old 7th September 2010
Gear Maniac

The 868 must have been a victim of poor marketing. It's by far the best kick mic that I've gotten my hands on. I own 4. I use em on floor tom and bass cabs as well. I can't believe that they never became everyone's go to kick mic.
Old 18th June 2011
Gear Nut

868 re-released?

I put an n/d 868 on floor tom, and every time the drummer hit that drum I was pleased with the sound- so natural open and dynamic... I thought these were discontinued but now it seems everybody carries them. Are they re-released? Are they still the same as the one I bought 10-15 years ago? Anyone try them on rack toms?
Old 18th June 2011
Gear Maniac

I love the 868. I bought 4 just in case they quit making them. It's my go to on kick and floor tom.Sometimes I have to trim a bit of low end when tracking kick or floor tom with it. I use it for bass guitar sometimes as well. I am using one of the EV 320s (great multipurpose mic) some as well but it hasn't dislodged the 868 from being used as my go to.
Old 18th June 2011
Lives for gear

Happy user here. Great on bass and please try it on your guitar cabs also..Grungy!
Old 17th August 2011
Here for the gear

Amazing on bass cab! Very tight, clean and bright. You won't need any eq. Just add good comp and it will sit in the mix.)
Old 7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011
I like the 868, it's different, kinda open. I also use an ND168, and a few 468's sometimes. The 168 on the right snare is really, really good. Not much eq needed.

Once I used the 468 on snare, where a dude had a majorly deep snare drum, like half the depth of a marching snare. Odd snare drum, odd player, trying to do something "different" I guess. I followed suit.

This worked better than a 57 or 421 that day.

Still have not tried the 868 on bass cab, gotta get around to it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

john
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A. Roberts View Post
My latest project is using an EV 868 outside and the ancient EV 664 inside. Magnificent. Don't tell anyone about the 664 thing (it's a secret).
I love the 664 on the inside of kick too. (hopefully still a secret).
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

can be a bit subby for fast tempo agressive styles - a bit "hip hop" ?
Old 3rd July 2015
Here for the gear

I have used a D112 in the past and loved it, but have been using the N/D868 exclusively for some years. I've been very happy with the sound I get from it. The cool thing is I don't have to EQ it at all for most kick drums to get a really great sound. I place mine about halfway in the drum through the porthole. That way I get some shell resonance boom with the attack of the beater as well. It makes for a very punchy kick drum sound, without sounding like hitting a cardboard box. Of course, a lot of this has to do with your bass drum tuning. I don't like a bunch of pillows, blankets or last week's laundry stuffed inside my kick. And, I'm never had a sound/recording engineer complain about my kick drum sound. All that being said, everyone has their own opinions and preferences.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search