The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Setting up a chamber ?
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

Setting up a chamber ?

Anyone setup a real reverb chamber ? I'm not talking about a bathroom or your live room during a mix. I've got a purpose built chamber in my building. It's about 10x12 with 10 foot ceilings. All 6 surfaces are shellac'ed. What type of speakers were typically used ? Mics ? Mono, stereo ? For the curious, I'm in L.A. at the old ABC/Dunhill building that became Lionshare in the 80's, and Babyface's studio in the 90's. Any and all info would be appreciated. Maybe some fellow gearslut worked here back then ?

Thanks
Old 1st June 2005
Motown legend

57s and 604s were pretty common. We set up one chamber at Motown with a Bose 901 and an X/Y Neumann KM-86 pair that worked pretty well although I liked to sneak in and substitute my own back to back 57s. 57s don't seem to pick up nearly as much unwanted noise. Shock mounting the mikes helps a lot too.
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

Cello had 57's in them last I looked. Sunset Sound I believe has RCA 44's. How would that be? No wonder they sound so smooth. I think Bob Clearmountain is using AKG 460's or Royer 121's.

As far as speakers go you can pretty much use anything of high quality. I know some older chambers used Altec Voice of Theaters but those seem a bit big to me. I would bet you could use a nice self powered speaker with an 8 or 10" woofer and get a nice response from them.

Good luck and let us hear how your chamber sounds when you get it up and running,
Michael Greene
Old 1st June 2005
Gear Nut

I'm glad to know those chambers are still there, I've been in them and they can sound very good. Jim Lockhart (Beachboys) showed us around. The speakers were Altecs, possibly 604s but I don't recall the mics.

What I do remember is listening to Steely Dan's "Aja" master on a 1/2" 2-track machine (either 3M or Ampex ATR) just before world wide release and it was a religious experience for an aspiring engineer!

Glad to know that building is still running...please let us know how your chambers sound.

Audy O
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear
I remember seeing the chamber in Sound Emporium and Treasure Isle years ago. Both were vastly different sizewise. I thought they were to coolest things I'd ever seen and I'd love to do something similar in the future. The one at Sound Emporium was narrow and tall, almost spirelike while Treasure Isle's was much smaller and flatter if I remember correctly. In fact they may even have had two.!

What do you all think should be the starting dimensions of these? Robmix is lucky to have 10x12x10 available. Also I guess the finish should be smooth plaster with no sharp corners.

Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

I played a lot with chamber mics in a similar sized room, though it wasn't as bright as yours sounds. It really narrows itself down pretty well. You don't want THAT much detail, or you know you're in a small room. You either want rolled-off highs or rolled-off lows (and in either case, no REAL lows at all.) It came down to the 57 and the 451 and they both ended up staying in. It turned the room into two very different verbs.

We also tightened up the lock of the sound in the hallway leading up to the chamber and put a 87 out there as well. It is a really exciting thing to hear music pumping from another room. We'd also play with gating it in and out against the main verb.

As for speakers, after trying a whole lot of studio alternatives, we used a Bose 301- they don't really have tweeters so their highs are very smooth and don't sizzle or snap the room. The amp was a little Yamaha 2075.
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

most importantly have two speakers and two microphones...
Old 1st June 2005
Motown legend

I always preferred the extra width in the reverb you get from a single speaker.
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

Great info guys, thank you very much. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Rob,
Any chance of letting us Altiverb users sample your chambers?

I know I just had to ask...........

Thanks and good luck,
Michael Greene
Old 1st June 2005
500 series nutjob

i have also had a interest in reverb chamber's.
so i ask, am i correct in understanding, their should be no sharp corners?
dose this mean inside corners ( as in wall to ceiling or wall to wall wall to floor ), or just outside corners?
the wall should be slick?
is 10'x12'x10' plenty of room?

Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio
Hey Rob,
Any chance of letting us Altiverb users sample your chambers?

I know I just had to ask...........

Thanks and good luck,
Michael Greene
Absolutely. I have to negotiate with my landlord for the chamber space so depending on what he says I may just end up sampling it anyway. There's also two other chambers there, another one about the same size and a larger one that's about 20x20x8. It's be nice too get them all.
Old 1st June 2005
Lives for gear

Wow, Thanks Rob. Please let me know how I can help on this end.

Michael Greene
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

I've seen KM86's set up in stairwells and elevator shafts in NY, not sure what the speakers they used were though.

Dante
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

What do you guys think about setting up a room that could be used as a reverb chamber but have other uses as well ???

Do you think that`s possible or are the requirements for a reverb chamber just too specific to allow for anything else ?
Old 26th September 2006
Here for the gear

I'd like to know more about the rooms people are using for chambers. I've tried using variety of rooms in my house as a chamber for vocal reverb, but the reverb always ends up sounding like someone singing in a lame room. It never sounds close to the reverb I'd hear on Beach Boys or Phil Spector recordings.

I've read that some of the chambers were pretty small so I'm wondering if it's the construction of the chamber that matters.

Dennis
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Addict

I've read stories of nice microphones getting stolen out of reverb chambers. I believe this has happened at Capitol and at Clearmountain's Mix This. "Hey, what happened to the left channel of the chamber?" So you might not want to put your U-47s in there unless it's locked down tight.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

From Bob Clearmountains website:
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

WTF happened to my attachement ?

Anyway, go to www.mixthis.com - studio tour - live chambers

There are pics and info.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

If the Altecs were in some of those chambers, it might make sense to try some La Scalas or something (or even the Altec reissues, but they're pricey.) I'd be into trying some full range speaker in there too. You know that's what would have been in them originally.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search