Here for the gear

DW Fearn, Lachapell or Thermionic Early bird

Hi!

This is my first post here.

I'm looking at buying a stereo tube preamp and I've come down to these 3:
DW Fearn vt2
Lachapell 992TLS or 992EG
Thermionic Early bird

Has anyone compared these? Which one do you guys prefer?
Has anyone compared the 992TLS to the 992EG?

I don't have the chance to test these myself.

Jim
Old 13th November 2008
500 series nutjob

i have not had the DW Fearn vt2, or the Thermionic Early bird in here, but i will say, i have had Scott's gear in, and i love!
offers great service, great fellow gearslutz and make awesome gear ( as i would think do the others ), i would say defiantly give the LaChapell a go!
Old 13th November 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks!

Have you used both the TLS and the EG?
Old 14th November 2008
Gear Addict

I had the LaChapell EG and the Fearn VT2 in side by side a while back. Both units get a big .

The Fearn has an amazing sound but is not as versatile as the LaChapell.

The LaChapell sounds fantastic and stacks better when you do multiple tracks with it.

I kept the LaChapell and have had it over a year with no regrets.

No first-hand experience here with the TLS or the Early Bird. I have heard that people prefer the TLS for acoustic guitars and classical music over the EG. But the TLS only offers ~50db of gain which could put your favorite ribbon mic out of the running.
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Thanks!

Have you used both the TLS and the EG?
no i have only had his 500 format 583 in here.
when i do my review one thing that means a lot and i mean a LOT, is service, and Scott delivers.
as i say, i don't want this to come across, as i have it so it must be the best, we see enough of that, just letting you know, Scott get a big thumbs up from me!
Old 14th November 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks!

Great to get some opinions on these boxes.

Anyone else out there who have tried them?
Old 14th November 2008

I have a 583 and it is stunning!
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

although i reluctantly sent back the first one i had ( scott made me as it was a first ), i did get one for myself.
it has been on lone for a couple weeks and i am missing it.
Old 14th November 2008
Here for the gear

Pan60! I read your review on the 583.

You recommended other tubes than the original ones. If I get the 992EG would it be better to change the tubes? What tubes would you recommend?
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Pan60! I read your review on the 583.

You recommended other tubes than the original ones. If I get the 992EG would it be better to change the tubes? What tubes would you recommend?
i was not necessarily recommending other tubes, Scott had ask me to put the 583 through its paces and try a variety of tubes, as they do make a difference, and Scott will at times offer specials on NOS tubes.
i did like the Bugle Boys for my application, but i must say i have been using the stock JJ tube that came with the unit and been loving it.
the NOS Tube will offer different flavors although not jaw dropping obvious their is a noticeable difference.
i will shoot Scott a email and see if he can offer some input on the subject of tubes.
Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

This is a lame response, but sensible and honest.

If you don't know what you want to buy, you shouldn't buy anything.

Seriously.

Cuz you don't know, right? Why these three? Online description?

What nature or utility are you going for? Sounds like you're after tube or something.

By all means, keep asking questions. I'd find out what you're looking for, do some more planning before the attack, and then go for broke.

I swear to God, there's never enough gear, and hindsight is always 20/20, but if you know what you're after in audio, odds are you'll find it.

Peace,
-soup
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
This is a lame response, but sensible and honest.

Peace,
-soup
what, is lame about it!
i personally do not have the 992EG, i have clearly stated i recommend the pre get auditioned, i have ( and will ) praise Scott impeccable service and attention to detail, and i have answer any question put forward here.
if you can not make a top shelf cream of the crop recording with the LaChapell Audio pre it ain't the pres!
and yes i can and will say this about many others as well.
three pres come to question, i do, and i will, help in anyway possible promote the small boutique gear, and i would offer the same input and effort to these others if i were familiar with them, but i am not.
i am how-ever familiar with Scott and his work, he and his company get BIG thumbs up from me!!!!!!
and that ain't lame.

now i do agree with soupking, if you are not sure what you are wanting, ( my assumption is that you have narrowed your selection to these, the mention three ), then you my want to ask some question, let us know want you are wanting.
but be warned, you my be overwhelmed with a herd of, i have's, so it's the best type of answers.
Old 14th November 2008

I think soup was saying his response was lame, not yours.

J
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I think soup was saying his response was lame, not yours.

J
ah, thank for pointing that out James!
sorry soupking, sometimes it is hard to get the drift of what is being said.

go ahead beat me!
Old 14th November 2008

Go to your room, I mean your 11 space rack!heh
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Go to your room, I mean your 11 space rack!heh
hehheh

Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
ah, thank for pointing that out James!
sorry soupking, sometimes it is hard to get the drift of what is being said.

go ahead beat me!
Heh, you guys crack me up. heh
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Heh, you guys crack me up. heh
i think i will go play with something scary
i will get in less trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
DW Fearn, Lachapell or Thermionic Early bird-p.jpg  
Old 14th November 2008
SK1
Lives for gear

Mind if I throw the A Designs MP2A into the mix?

They're all tube correct?

DW Fearn vt2
Thermionic Early bird
A Designs MP2A

I'm thinking one of these would fit in well with my 1272s and 312s.

Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i think i will go play with something scary
i will get in less trouble.
Dude, just eat your veggies. Pesto is easy.

4 parts basil
1.5 parts olive oil
1 part garlic

Grind. add pasta. eat.

leave the spiders alone, they need to eat too.
Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
Mind if I throw the A Designs MP2A into the mix?

They're all tube correct?

DW Fearn vt2
Thermionic Early bird
A Designs MP2A

I'm thinking one of these would fit in well with my 1272s and 312s.

If you've got a 1272, a Demeter VTMP 2-a will be a nice ying-yang compliment. It will also cost 2 grand less then a Fearn.
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

the A-Designs MP-2A is one of my favorite pres, ( as well is the 583 ), i did not mention it as it was not part of the three.
and again, i cannot make a comparison with the three mentioned, as well, the 583, and the MP-2A are to totally different pres altogether.
short of the original poster asking for more input, i leave it their.
Old 14th November 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks again!

Maybe I should have been a bit more detailed in my first mail.

The reason I nailed it down to those three was because I set out to find a great stereo tube preamp and those three where some of the most raved about on the net. I am open for others as well.

I don't have the luxuary of trying them myself as I live in Norway and there are no shops that keep them in stock.

I am looking for a preamp to compliment my others which are:
Cranesong Spider
APi 3124
Telefunken V72

I'm first of all looking for warmth and bigness. Something to use on both vocals, bass, drums and more.

It's quite important that it's good on vocals.

I'm also looking for something 1073ish, but thought I would start with the tube amp.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 14th November 2008
Here for the gear

Pan60! Thanks for the reply on the tubesthumbsup
Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

Lachapell is very nice, but not as detailed as Earlybird. I would say Lachapell has a kind of biggish"cotton" sound (which may be nice at times), while Earlybird has a sweet, big and very detailed sound. Lachapell is more coloured.

DW Fearn is quite coloured - so everything coming through will be very much "painted". Either you like that type of paint or not (like me - I much prefered Telefunken V76)
Old 14th November 2008
Gear Nut

JIM,

I was just going to suggest a dual Mercury M72 but I see you already have a Tele V72 ...

I have a 992EG and an M72 (as well as GR and API 3124) and even though I really dig the La Chappel on everything, I still prefer the mojo of the M72 on most 'everything' .. especially electric gtr, bass, most vocals and raunchy acoustic .... you have the original ... you know what I mean ...

The other tube pre I seriously considered before I was 'sold' the 992EG was the Pendulum MDP1A ... and then there's the tube tech MPIA DUAL CHANNEL ..... also some crew really like the Sebatron and it's a lot cheaper than these others .....

here are some threads I saved ...

121545-designs-mp-2a-vs-pendulum-mdp-1-a
If you want highly detailed, sweet and nicely spaced sound, the Pendulum is the way. If you want more coloured, less detailed sound, slightly emphasised on HF and not that 3D (which may be good for some genres) then take Pacifica ...

122472-tube-pre-option
Manley Mono Mic Pre-Mercury M72 mono-A Design MP1A-DW Fearn VT1-Tab Funkenwerk V78-Universal Audio 610 Mono
the u audio 610 was just not as good sounding (somehow more nasal, less dimension). the manley i found to be very boring, sorry. the adesigns MP-2A goes to the direction of dw fearn - but not as pricey.

Pendulum MDP1 or Pacifica ? search this ...

Greatest clean 2ch valve pre? search this ...

Looking for something reallt TUBEY.. really vintage sounding ... search this

Good Luck ... use your ears ... this stuff is exxy

Michael V
Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

I am recommending the Thermionic Culture Earlybird 1.2 as the ultimate tube mic amp.

I also like the Fearn for its vintage super tubey sound. However, for me, wanting detail and huge headroom with phat sound and huge bass, the Earlybird 1.2 is the ne plus ultra mic amp.
Old 14th November 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Thanks again!

Maybe I should have been a bit more detailed in my first mail.

The reason I nailed it down to those three was because I set out to find a great stereo tube preamp and those three where some of the most raved about on the net. I am open for others as well.

I don't have the luxuary of trying them myself as I live in Norway and there are no shops that keep them in stock.

I am looking for a preamp to compliment my others which are:
Cranesong Spider
APi 3124
Telefunken V72

I'm first of all looking for warmth and bigness. Something to use on both vocals, bass, drums and more.

It's quite important that it's good on vocals.

I'm also looking for something 1073ish, but thought I would start with the tube amp.

Cheers,
Jim
as much as i love the MP-2A i am not sure it would fit the bill, it is the least colored tube pre i have, and for that i love it and recommend it for such applications.
so LaChapell would still be were i would say look: )~

let us know when you get your new pre!
Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

One that stays under the radar is the Hamptone DIY tube pre pair, which could be built for a fraction of the cost. (as if money ever matters)

Any idea how the affordable DIY Hamptone Tube pres stand up against these top drawer units?
Old 15th November 2008
Lives for gear

I kept Earlybird over DW Fearn, although both are great.
IMO Thermionic pre is usable on more sources and doesn't cloud anything.
Fearn is great on most vocals, but I didn't like it always on acoustic instruments.
I heard LaChappel couple of times and think it's one of the best pres on the market, but see no reason to replace Earlybird with it.
Other than that Telefunken's V76 or AMI TAB V72 (and even V78) are absolutelly excellent choices for tube pre.
๐Ÿ“ Reply