DW Fearn, Lachapell or Thermionic Early bird
Old 19th December 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianokeys View Post
For now try this sample:

http://www.getreadytoplay.ca/tout_ensemble.wav

LaChapell covered the overheads, room mics on piano, and flugelhorn

I've got lots more if you like - that one was a nice jazzy number.
wow very nice!!!!!
what did you use on the bass?
Old 20th December 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks everyone - the bass is M149 through Pacifica - some 2044 compression but not too much

My piano is my dream piano - lesser known in North America brand Schimmel

This is their flagship brand NWS Schimmel CC213 - 7 footer

I mortgaged my house a couple of years ago for it

...haven't looked back
Old 20th December 2008
500 series nutjob

a couple of my top pick pres! wow!
thanks!

loved the piano ( well i mean everything ), and the bass really sets nice!

great mix!
is this part of a album you are putting together?
if so P.M. me.
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

?????????????

Me having a Millennia STT 1 with Telefunken Tubes....
( I have also the Shadow Hills pre.....just in case ......)

Which Preamp do you recommend? and do you think the DW Fearn, LaChapell, The Early Bird or even the Rooster can be MUCH better?

Also what are the Sonic differences between LaChapell 992EG and 583..and if there is any is really big??
Old 26th December 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
Also what are the Sonic differences between LaChapell 992EG and 583..and if there is any is really big??
different pres, i don't think the 583 is designed to be a copy of the 992, maybe Scot can chime in and define the difference.
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
...what are the Sonic differences between LaChapell 992EG and 583..and if there is any is really big??
Here's a quote from Scott that may answer your question - it was about the difference on vocals.

Lachapell 583 versus 992s on vocals
Old 30th December 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
Here's a quote from Scott that may answer your question - it was about the difference on vocals.

Lachapell 583 versus 992s on vocals
thanks for that link MichaelPatrick!
here is a quote to make things easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott LaChapell View Post
Hello fellas...

This is a pretty common question that I'm confronted with often. And, although the overall input/gain stage of the 583 is based on the 992eg it should not be considered a single channel/500 series variant of it. The 992 is a proven design so we naturally started with that. Here's what the 583 amplifier has in common with the 992 (the basics):
  • Mic Input transformer and input Z
  • Overall input topology including placement/application of input caps and feedback ratio (critical).
  • Tube type (12AX7)
  • Input/Output gain control.
  • 80% nickel/alloy output transformer
Here are some basics of where they are not alike:
  • Output stage (992: push/pull tube type, 583: burr-brown line drivers)
  • 583 amp stage is single-ended (992: fully differential)
  • Hi-Z stage on 583 is transformer-less @ 40kOhm (992 features a transformer feeding the mic stage @ 120kOhm)
The result of these differences is that the 583S will tend to sound less colored overall. The 992 features a lot more vacuum tube harmonics (but nothing over the top) where the 583 will tend to lack the sonic footprint of the 992's four-tube design. It's not necessarily a compromise rather, a different preamp based on a more complex unit.

For those wanting a more clear tube preamp go with the 583. For those wanting a tube preamp with sweet sonic spectrum along with clarity (but not necessarily transparency) AND lots of tonal flexibility go with the 992. Both units can get down and dirty when favoring the input gain control but, I think you'll find the 992's realm of distortion to be more pleasing almost inviting. The 583's distortion sounds a bit more brazen, almost meant for intense vocal tracking where the singer just give it to the mic ...

Hope that help!
Old 31st December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
thanks for that link MichaelPatrick!
here is a quote to make things easier.
""For those wanting a more clear tube preamp go with the 583. For those wanting a tube preamp with sweet sonic spectrum along with clarity (but not necessarily transparency) AND lots of tonal flexibility go with the 992. Both units can get down and dirty when favoring the input gain control but, I think you'll find the 992's realm of distortion to be more pleasing almost inviting. The 583's distortion sounds a bit more brazen, almost meant for intense vocal tracking where the singer just give it to the mic ... ""

So now I wonder how would compare the Tube Section on the Millennia STT1 with LaChapell 583....???
Old 31st December 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
""For those wanting a more clear tube preamp go with the 583. For those wanting a tube preamp with sweet sonic spectrum along with clarity (but not necessarily transparency) AND lots of tonal flexibility go with the 992. Both units can get down and dirty when favoring the input gain control but, I think you'll find the 992's realm of distortion to be more pleasing almost inviting. The 583's distortion sounds a bit more brazen, almost meant for intense vocal tracking where the singer just give it to the mic ... ""

So now I wonder how would compare the Tube Section on the Millennia STT1 with LaChapell 583....???
The Tube Section in the STT1 is the most boring thing I have ever heard!! I'm sure Scott's preamp kills it!! Scott's 992 EG is amazing!! They all are!! Get what you like, and "don't worry, be happy". Myself, I would buy a VT-2 if I had the dough, but since I've cut tracks with the 992 EG, I'd say that bad larry hangs with the best of em! It much different, though thats the POINT, they are ALL DIFFERENT.
Old 31st December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The Tube Section in the STT1 is the most boring thing I have ever heard!! I'm sure Scott's preamp kills it!! Scott's 992 EG is amazing!! They all are!! Get what you like, and "don't worry, be happy". Myself, I would buy a VT-2 if I had the dough, but since I've cut tracks with the 992 EG, I'd say that bad larry hangs with the best of em! It much different, though thats the POINT, they are ALL DIFFERENT.
Hey Roc!
Well a DW Fearn VT2 is one of those pieces I always wanted to have and is on my eye! ... so how good is the VT2 stacking few tracks ?
I recorded few times few vocals and sounded great...but never recorded few more tracks with it.

But to be honest the TC Early Bird seems a great piece too..

and forgive my ignorance but what do you mean with the "Bad Larry hungs" expression?
Thanks!
Old 31st December 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Hey Roc!
Well a DW Fearn VT2 is one of those pieces I always wanted to have and is on my eye! ... so how good is the VT2 stacking few tracks ?
I recorded few times few vocals and sounded great...but never recorded few more tracks with it.

But to be honest the TC Early Bird seems a great piece too..

and forgive my ignorance but what do you mean with the "Bad Larry hungs" expression?
Thanks!
HOLY GOD I love the Fearn!! THANK YOU JESUS I love the Thermionic Early Bird!! PART THE SEAS MOSES, I love the Pendulum MDP-1, PRAISE ALLAH I love TUBE GEAR!!! The VT-2 would be amazing for ANYTHING and its NEVER MUSHY. Its PURE and has the most unbelievable depth and intimacy with any microphone for any application. The EB is a bit more "round" and "rotund" but it is also PURE and deep as hell. They are again, WAY different, and they BOTH rock AND roll, you just need to pick your poison! What I meant; "bad" [awesome] "larry" [992] "hangs" [gear battle reference as to like's and dislikes against others in the rack]
Old 31st December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
HOLY GOD I love the Fearn!! THANK YOU JESUS I love the Thermionic Early Bird!! PART THE SEAS MOSES, I love the Pendulum MDP-1, PRAISE ALLAH I love TUBE GEAR!!! The VT-2 would be amazing for ANYTHING and its NEVER MUSHY. Its PURE and has the most unbelievable depth and intimacy with any microphone for any application. The EB is a bit more "round" and "rotund" but it is also PURE and deep as hell. They are again, WAY different, and they BOTH rock AND roll, you just need to pick your poison! What I meant; "bad" [awesome] "larry" [992] "hangs" [gear battle reference as to like's and dislikes against others in the rack]
Adam you are Evil!heh
My wallet is jumping!!
Old 31st December 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Adam you are Evil!heh
My wallet is jumping!!
I've been called a lot of things in my time AMEIL!! hahahahaha!!

But EVIL is the BEST ONE YET!!

peace
A/B
Old 31st December 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:

i love the 583s i have it is clean but it have a very sweet mojo to it, i have a MP-2A which i love, and the 583s offers a bit ( a bit as in not much ), more color.

to bad we cant have a rack full of all these great pres!!!!!!!!!
Old 1st January 2009
Cool! the A Designs MP2A is a cool preamp ..I love the tone options on it!
Old 1st January 2009
Lives for gear

how does the ADL 600 compare to the three?
Old 1st January 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaaat View Post
how does the ADL 600 compare to the three?
interesting brave question!
Old 1st January 2009
This has been quite an informative thread =)

Btw, does anyone know why DI inputs weren't included on the Earlybird? Would've been a nice/convenient feature to include, since then we don't have to find a good DI to go with it in case we want to record instruments/synths. The 992 has this right?
Old 1st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 View Post
Btw, does anyone know why DI inputs weren't included on the Earlybird?
They are included - in the version 2.2 ...
Old 1st January 2009
Ah, does the earlybird 2.2 support both line level signals and instruments like a bass/etc?
Old 2nd January 2009
n/m, looks like no DI, just mic/line
Looks like a separate DI is needed for instruments
📝 Reply