The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Buzz Audio
Old 13th March 2010
  #91
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
I made the mistake of selling my buzz essence to fund another gear purchase. Now I have no compressor that comes close on bass. I need it back!
Nooo. I have been running around here shouting the praises of my buzz essence. Its a poor man's LA2A that's way more versatile and stuffed to the gills with well thought out features. I used an LA2A for about 4 years and had to leave it behind when i began working out of my own spot. Well, the essence has filled that void and more. Call me crazy but I prefer it to an LA2A. I am saving for a Tonic and pair of elixers. seriously, Buzz seems soooooo underrated and I don't know why.

Also what's up with new zealand and sick gear?? I have a red witch chorus pedal that's just amazing and totally unique. Then there's the beesneez guys which have been receiving great praise. Oh yeah and lord of the rings. Viva la New Zealand. Place has always fascinated me and I always felt I would love it there being a skier, surfer, and audio lover.
Old 13th March 2010
  #92
AB3
Lives for gear
 

I had a pair of tube tech cl1bs. Now I have a pair of Buzz essences for the same functions. I like the Buzz better. The Buzz can link in the rack, has a HPF and sounds great with the right amount of euphonic color.
Old 13th March 2010
  #93
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
Also what's up with new zealand and sick gear?? I have a red witch chorus pedal that's just amazing and totally unique. Then there's the beesneez guys which have been receiving great praise.
Beesneez is Australian, but we don't mind running with your version

matt
Old 13th March 2010
  #94
New Zealand and Australia are wonderful places, do make the effort to visit!
Unlike many places in this chaotic world, they LOVE Americans!

You will not find nicer people anywhere in the world, anywhere. I think of them as a second home, maybe someday my real home if this country continues to decline.

I suspect there will be quite a few immigration applications to go there from America in the next decade.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 13th March 2010
  #95
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I had a pair of tube tech cl1bs. Now I have a pair of Buzz essences for the same functions. I like the Buzz better. The Buzz can link in the rack, has a HPF and sounds great with the right amount of euphonic color.
Interesting! Do you prefer them even on female vocals, for which the Cl1b is supposed to be the holy grail?
Old 13th March 2010
  #96
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Beesneez is Australian, but we don't mind running with your version

matt
oops.
Old 13th March 2010
  #97
AB3
Lives for gear
 

It could be preferable. A lot would depend on the particular voice and particular mic. I think the singer and mic would be the most critical choices as opposed to these two compressors. However, the CL1b with the right mullard tubes could sweeten the female vocal in a way that the Buzz may not IMHO. BUT as I said, with an already sweet voice and the correct mic, this fix would not be needed.
In terms of smoothness, the Buzz Essence and Buzz SOC is as smooth as the tube tech. The tube tech will also be noisier.
Expensive is not always better.
Best,
AB


Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Interesting! Do you prefer them even on female vocals, for which the Cl1b is supposed to be the holy grail?
Old 15th March 2010
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Guitar Zero's Avatar
Anyone using the Essence on the mix bus?
Old 15th March 2010
  #99
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I suspect there will be quite a few immigration applications to go there from America in the next decade.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Good luck with that,Jim. NZ is one of the hardest countries to immigrate to and to simply get a work visa My gramps was born there and my sister applied for a work visa and it was hell, and she's a very qualified teacher. Immigrate? Again, good luck with that.
Old 16th March 2010
  #100
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Good luck with that,Jim. NZ is one of the hardest countries to immigrate to and to simply get a work visa My gramps was born there and my sister applied for a work visa and it was hell, and she's a very qualified teacher. Immigrate? Again, good luck with that.
If you are Canadian it shouldn't be too difficult as we have a reciprocal agreement with regards to immigration.

However USA is one of the most difficult places in the world to immigrate to (literally a lottery to get in) and so most countries will make it difficult for American's to move to.

Jim, if how about you 'employ' me in America and I will 'employ' you in NZ! Or just set me up with someone to marry in Vegas, more fun that way.
Old 16th March 2010
  #101
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighp View Post
If you are Canadian it shouldn't be too difficult as we have a reciprocal agreement with regards to immigration.
Ah, Interesting. I guess to be fair, my recollection was from several years ago. I guess the reciprocal agreement accounts for all the Kiwi nurses in our health system. Last time I was in hospital out here, it was like I was in NZ with all the accents I heard heh
Old 16th March 2010
  #102
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
I see on the Buzz webstite it says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.buzzaudio.com/products/whatsnew.htm
To celebrate 20 years since the first Buzz Audio pro audio product was manufactured we will be introducing some new products during 2010. Keep an eye on this page!
And is the dual compressor already released? kind of hard to tell from the web page

matt
Old 16th March 2010
  #103
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
I see on the Buzz webstite it says:



matt
the good thing is, that I know all the plans.

and I will get shot if I tell somebody or anybody.. so I will tell it to nobody..
Old 16th March 2010
  #104
Lives for gear
 
gm5k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
I see on the Buzz webstite it says:


LOL I have that "pipeline" page bookmarked. can't wait to see the new products!!
Old 16th March 2010
  #105
Lives for gear
 
asagaai's Avatar
Line Mixer/Tracking Master Unit

If Tim makes a unit so I can track say 10 to 12 channels with faders and monitoring, plus ability to mix between 16 to 24 channels with faders/inserts, with say 3 bus (no pres/eq) ( A proper uh ..."X desk") with Buzz quality and depth- I would be in like Flyn.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 17th March 2010
  #106
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
If Tim makes a unit so I can track say 10 to 12 channels with faders and monitoring, plus ability to mix between 16 to 24 channels with faders/inserts, with say 3 bus (no pres/eq) ( A proper uh ..."X desk") with Buzz quality and depth- I would be in like Flyn.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Ditto that!

I'd love to have one too ~

what I want now us eq's...
I just missed the MPE 1.1 fir a couple of days.
Tim had just discontinued it. But I am sure
the successor will be a smash hit!
Besides, when a manufacturer says they are celebrating
so and so many years, chances are there'll be stuff fir
us slutzers to cheer about
And I mean no pretty pics but gearrrr!

Ok, enough, I am crooling...!

Aaaaaargh, can't waiiitt!!
Old 17th March 2010
  #107
Gear Addict
 
Elof's Avatar
 

I tried a SOC last week and was floored, ordered one today.
It´s one of the nicest and most versatile optos I´ve tried, including LA 2/3/4´s, ADLs, tubetechs... Very open and clean, never seems to choke but still does some radical stuff if you want it to.
Old 13th April 2010
  #108
Moderator
 
Tim Farrant's Avatar
 

It's always nice to read the compliments, thank you all, we do try.

Detail on the new stuff is here...

New Products from Buzz Audio

Given the tight economic times, I gotta pace myself in getting these products to market, so please bear with me.

And an exclusive for readers of this thread, we are also working on another Series 20 product, something I have wanted to do for a long time and that is a VCA based compressor using a digital sidechain to control it. This is being designed under my guidance by Tim Prebble who has been with Buzz Audio assembling and tested product for 5 years or so, and has just finished his 5 years of electronic study at Massey University. Should be a fun box!
Old 13th April 2010
  #109
Lives for gear
 
lectric's Avatar
Nice work¡¡¡ Congratulations Buzz Audio¡¡¡¡¡
Old 14th April 2010
  #110
AB3
Lives for gear
 

Tim- when will the series 20 SOC be available?

I know I have to be patient. But a rough guess, perhaps?

THANKS,
AB


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
It's always nice to read the compliments, thank you all, we do try.

Detail on the new stuff is here...

New Products from Buzz Audio

Given the tight economic times, I gotta pace myself in getting these products to market, so please bear with me.

And an exclusive for readers of this thread, we are also working on another Series 20 product, something I have wanted to do for a long time and that is a VCA based compressor using a digital sidechain to control it. This is being designed under my guidance by Tim Prebble who has been with Buzz Audio assembling and tested product for 5 years or so, and has just finished his 5 years of electronic study at Massey University. Should be a fun box!
Old 14th April 2010
  #111
Here for the gear
 
Funkwerk's Avatar
 

The new stuff looks very cool i'll bet they sound as good as they look.
I would be very interested in the new EQ.

My new Tonic eq's for in the desk are arriving tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.
Old 14th April 2010
  #112
Lives for gear
 
gm5k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkwerk View Post

My new Tonic eq's for in the desk are arriving tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.
congrats! let us know how you're liking em and maybe post a pic or 2 of the Tonics in the console
Old 22nd April 2010
  #113
Here for the gear
 
Funkwerk's Avatar
 

Loving the new EQ's!!! I have found that so many manufactors actually don't produce the same quality in the 500 series format.
But Buzz did it these sound absolutely fantastic!!

I'll shoot a pic soon.

Old 22nd April 2010
  #114
Lives for gear
 
Aisle 6's Avatar
Hey Tim.
I was all ready to pull the trigger on a SOC1.1...that is until I saw the 20series SOC.

Any ideas when? I need to burn some coin before July.
Old 23rd April 2010
  #115
Gear Nut
 

Buzz Potion Ready To Rock feature / pumping

Hi everyone,
my question is mainly directed to the master himself, Tim,
but any advice or should I say experiences with the Potion
are welcome.
So... I've got a SOC 1.1 which just doesn't stop to produce
a smile on my face whenever I run sth thru it.
Now I'm looking for a ballsy fet comp, which is also versatile
enough for tracking and mixing. Of course the main contestant is the Potion, along with the MC77, chandler Germanium, JLM FC500.
My question:
what's the deal with the RTR feature hat automatically
alters the release so there is no pumping?
Is there a way to switch it off?
Many might disagree but I like to be able to produce heavy pumping tracks sometimes. Further, I really dig snares with a fast attack
and a very fast release so they ring, or start going into saturation.
I guess there is the drive but I suppose it is sth like threshold right?
Hopethis makes sense
Cheers everyone,
Bourian
Old 21st July 2010
  #116
Lives for gear
I don't own any Buzz gear (yet) but did manage to get hands on time with the Essence and Potion a few months ago. I was impressed. I know we're supposed to listen first, then listen again and then again before buying and not be motivated by gear that looks good... But if the DPE-20 sounds half as good as it looks, I'm going to have to get down on one knee and propose. I wonder when they will actually ship to the US?
Old 21st July 2010
  #117
Lives for gear
 
Suda Badri's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
It's always nice to read the compliments, thank you all, we do try.

Detail on the new stuff is here...

New Products from Buzz Audio

Given the tight economic times, I gotta pace myself in getting these products to market, so please bear with me.

And an exclusive for readers of this thread, we are also working on another Series 20 product, something I have wanted to do for a long time and that is a VCA based compressor using a digital sidechain to control it. This is being designed under my guidance by Tim Prebble who has been with Buzz Audio assembling and tested product for 5 years or so, and has just finished his 5 years of electronic study at Massey University. Should be a fun box!
Now that is exciting!
Old 21st July 2010
  #118
Lives for gear
 
Mark D.'s Avatar
 

I think a half-rack version of the Elixir 500 series pre would be cool. Switch
the front 1/4" jack for combo XLR/TR(S) input, keep the impedance switch
and add a HPF, and keep the price well below $1k and it would really rock,
in the field of the Grace 101, P-Solo, Audient Miko and Focusrite ISA One.
Old 3rd August 2010
  #119
Gear Nut
 
Kiljoy's Avatar
 

The Series 20 SOC looks right up my alley. One thing I do want soon is a mastering switched REQ 2.2 but I wonder if it's able to be modified to switch to M/S processing internally much like the Series 20 SOC too. I very rarely EQ the left and right sides differently but I find myself always doing subtle M/S EQing a lot.
Old 3rd August 2010
  #120
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
I've recently added two tonics on my 2 bus for tightening/adding low end, to go along with my hammer which I use for highs.. they are awesome for this task. I've got a third tonic as well and wouldn't mind another now..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump